Pro Mental Coach Review - Forum Testing

Thain, nice writeup dude. Maybe put spoiler tags around the pictures from now on? I know it makes it a million times easier for me to read

Try to follow me for a minute here. It might be easier for Thainer. Put yourself in the mindset of somebody that bought the product, but didn't have the 'duty' related to forum testing.

Do you guys think that the various games will hold your attention for long enough to see improvements in you mental abilities and focus? I'm very apt to start something like this full bore, get bored, and quit.

Try to follow me for a minute here. It might be easier for Thainer. Put yourself in the mindset of somebody that bought the product, but didn't have the 'duty' related to forum testing.

Do you guys think that the various games will hold your attention for long enough to see improvements in you mental abilities and focus? I'm very apt to start something like this full bore, get bored, and quit.

I did buy the product Hawk so I feel no duty other just trying to help. But it has held my AD(H)D attention span pretty well. The calendar feature is good because it feels like I am missing an appointment if I dont do it.

I did buy the product Hawk so I feel no duty other just trying to help. But it has held my AD(H)D attention span pretty well. The calendar feature is good because it feels like I am missing an appointment if I dont do it.

Right on. I knew you purchased it, so I figured it might be easier for you to answer.

I completely agree Hawk, I have a feeling I wouldnt complete this.

I think you all have done a great job so far btw.

I have thought about that Hawk. I dont know for sure. There are a lot of "exergames" and I have come nowhere near repeating them yet. I think that these require such focus that it is hard to get brored, if that makes sense? I know that this will drain you, I can promise mentally after 4 of these you brain will feel fried haha. I think the goal is to make you mentally tough and focused for the golf course.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I think the other big thing that would be tough for me would be findng time without distractions. My whole life is a big distaction and I found it hard to even complete the initial testing.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I think the other big thing that would be tough for me would be findng time without distractions. My whole life is a big distaction and I found it hard to even complete the initial testing.

I am sure as a parent and stuff it is tough, but if your just taking the tests and not writing reviews and stuff each day takes 20-25 minutes. I know that might be difficult still, but its not a ridiculous amount of time IMO

I am sure as a parent and stuff it is tough, but if your just taking the tests and not writing reviews and stuff each day takes 20-25 minutes. I know that might be difficult still, but its not a ridiculous amount of time IMO

That makes sense. I'd agree that it's not an unreasonable amount of time.

That makes sense. I'd agree that it's not an unreasonable amount of time.

No, and I think that is what makes it work. I cant wait to get out to golf this weekend and see what happens. I will be bringing a steno notepad and writing down some stuff to see if I can translate that mental focus to the course.

Thanks for the questions guys

Hawk as a parent of 2 kids and husband who works long hours and the wife needs together time, this program might be tough. I have had some issues so far and have had to install it a few times to see if I can get it to work. Each time I reinstalled I had to take the assessment test over. I have to say that I was running into a time crunch. It will be interesting to see what happens when I finally get into the exergames. I'm really over the assessment test lol

Hawk as a parent of 2 kids and husband who works long hours and the wife needs together time, this program might be tough. I have had some issues so far and have had to install it a few times to see if I can get it to work. Each time I reinstalled I had to take the assessment test over. I have to say that I was running into a time crunch. It will be interesting to see what happens when I finally get into the exergames. I'm really over the assessment test lol

Good point, Chunky. You're are definitely in a similar situation to me family/work obligations.

Honestly, I could easily see some people either getting so frustrated they rage quit or not really having enough time between being a parent, work, etc they when they can it just doesn't work as intended so they don't use it for awhile.

I don't mean to curse anyone but I'm very curious if or how you think back to this program when you're out on the course and things go sideways. How did it help you reset or get through a tough spot without digging a hole on the scorecard.Being able to do the exercises or exergames sitting at your computer is one thing, but sitting in the 14th fairway is a different story.

Two ways.
A: Due to the nature of the games, I'm more alert on the course then before. Golf is golf to me whether I'm playing, talking or testing something. It's all the same mindset, so I don't find it any different from when I'm in front of the computer to actually playing.
B: Some of the games are so annoying, and PMC is such a part of my golfing "life" recently that after getting annoyed by something on the course or needing to chill, it's pretty easy to say "WTF, I'm playing a round in the sunshine while not at work or with a crying baby. I could be at home working on that stupid happy face/positive game or work/crying baby instead. Chill out" and we're all good again.

Alright so I cheated a little bit and did my new ones past midnight so I could get to the next day. That speaks volumes as to how much I am enjoying this computer program so far. Tonight I had a new set of exergames, all set to beginner, and I was raring to go! I must say, I love how it gives you new tasks everyday. I feel a sense of accomplishment just simply by keeping up with this calendar, and I believe I will be a better golfer because of these games.

The games that were outlined for me this session are:

Basket Ball
Driving Range
The Caddy
Pro Shop

Spoiler
ScreenShot2012-09-21at121245AM_zps999ea930.png
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Basket Ball

For this game, your basket appears. It is either green or red. After seeing your baskets, lots more appear.

If your basket is green, and matches another basket, you CLICK the mouse pad.
If your basket is green, and does not match another basket, you hit the SPACE bar.

Simple? Not quite! If your basket is red, the commands reverse.

If your basket is red, and matches another basket, you hit the SPACE bar.
If your basket is red, and does not match another basket, you CLICK the mousepad.

I scored pretty well once I got the hang of it. This will get difficult down the road though, and I can see this testing my brain and patience!

Spoiler
ScreenShot2012-09-21at121329AM_zps910e9783.png
Driving Range

For this exergame, you are standing on the range, watching a flag disappear and reappear. If it reappears in the same spot, you press A. If it reappears in a different spot than the previous, you press S.

While this is happening, a voice is calling out distances. If the distance is shorter than the previous one called out, you press K. If longer, you press L.

The trouble with this exergame relies on multitasking between remembering longer/shorter, or if the flag moved or not. It is tough, and will be tougher on the next level, but I fared pretty well on this one.

Spoiler
ScreenShot2012-09-21at121905AM_zps287c0cdf.png

ScreenShot2012-09-21at121807AM_zps552703ec.png
The Caddy

This was one of the most fun games I have ever played, not only in PMC, but ever. As the caddy you are doing math problems on a GPS unit. The red stake is 100, white is 150, blue is 200 and yellow is 250.

So when Blue Flag + 30 comes up, you are supposed to click 230 in. These math problems continue throughout the entire game. The toughness comes in when your clubs get dirty. Once they are deemed "dirty", you have to clean them once a certain amount of time has passed. Your bag is broken up into 3 sections: 8 seconds, 12 seconds and 24 seconds. BUT THERE IS NO CLOCK! Blymie!

So as you do math problems off of flags, you keep time in your head, waiting for the appropriate amount of time to pass so you can clean the club. Its easy to forget to clean a club, or say "just one more problem than I'll clean it!" Its great for memory, time management, guesstimation and math. I believe you get a 20% window on either side of the second interval to score while cleaning the clubs. So tough, so fun, VERY enjoyable!

Spoiler
ScreenShot2012-09-21at123127AM_zpsf0b97788.png
Pro Shop

My final exergame of the night was called "Pro Shop". You are on a sales floor and you must click items as they go on sale. When they do, their price tag blinks and stays red. If it blinks red but goes back to white, DO NOT CLICK TO PURCHASE. So the object of the game is to hover an item long enough that the tag will stay red, but not too long to miss it. All while moving your mouse all over the place trying to catch items before they go off sale, but not clicking ones that dont stay on sale. Exhausting!

Spoiler
ScreenShot2012-09-21at123340AM_zpseb0b7eda.png

As you can see I had a fairly good night. I do well at nights, I feel I am awake all day but focused and limber. Afterwards these exergames tire my brain out and have been helping me get to sleep and stay asleep better and more quickly. Take it as you wish, but it has been a positive outcome for me, whether that be direct or indirect.

Spoiler
ScreenShot2012-09-21at10842AM_zps17a7bcc5.png

If anyone has any questions, comments, concerns, feel free to throw them in here or PM me!

Thain

Nice writeup Thainer. Liking the updates so far guys, you're doing well. One thing I'm interested in finding out is whether this program would be effective if, for instance like Hawk, you were so busy that you ended up skipping out and in during the schedule. I understand that it'll be best if it's completed as intended, but sometimes life does get in the way.

Man am I glad Thainer is picking up my slack. Great writeup dude. Ive emailed a different contact person and hopefully can resolve this over the weekend. Sorry guys

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Some of those games look hard! I can see why you are ready to get some sleep afterwards, Thainer.

i have to apologize guys, i will be writing more about the software this weekend. i've worked 135 hours in the last two weeks at my job because it's the end of fiscal year, i haven't been able to devote the time over the last week or so to get on this.

Good point, Chunky. You're are definitely in a similar situation to me family/work obligations.

Yep I know what you guys are talking about. I have to walk the dog twice a day and play golf five days a week so I stay overwhelmed myself :alien:

I honestly don't think it's that bad at all. If you're watching football or golf or whatever there's nothing stopping you from catching these exergames between commercials. You can play a game in the morning. One after work, one after dinner, and one before bed. It's only 3-5 minutes, 4 times a day.

Well today my training program recommended a repeat of two games and two new games. The repeat games were bumped up to intermediate level. I learned today that your % score is not based on the % of right answers, but your results among other testers. Obviously if you get 100%, you be in the 100th percentile. But on some levels you can only get 33% of the tasks, but be in the 85th percentile, that would likely lead it to be a very difficult game.

Anyways, enough of the blabber, my exergames for the day were:

Lucky Ball - Intermediate
The Moving Sand Trap - Beginner
Magic 6 - Beginner
Staying Positive - Intermediate

Spoiler
ScreenShot2012-09-22at30936AM_zps3e9c3789.png

Lucky Ball
This time around, I was on the intermediate level. Boy was this ever tough. As you can see, not only are there more symbols than last time, the symbols are more similar. This made it EXTREMELY difficult for me to distinguish between them. I got many wrong and many timed out. But as the game progressed I started to do better. I kinda felt overwhelmed at the beginning, and through the middle I felt like I could narrow my focus. I actually got 5 or 6 in a row before I got distracted by one of the in-game distractions. This feeling was actually pretty neat to me. Its a feeling that I have felt in hockey and only twice in golf, but never before outside of those situations. I am not entirely sure how to explain it, but it was neat. Its nice to think that these exergames have taught me a little bit about narrowing my focus when I need to. I will need to touch on this further as games get progressively harder. Was this a one time thing? Maybe, maybe not! Only time will tell.

Spoiler
ScreenShot2012-09-22at31024AM_zpsd1012da4.png
The Moving Sand Trap

The moving sand trap was a neat game of which I felt was extremely easy. A golf ball was placed in the middle of a bunker and it would appear saying "MATCH" or "NO MATCH". As this appears, 3, 4, or 5 symbols appear throughout the rest of the bunker and they are all labelled. Only one of those is either matching, or not matching. Its your job to find and click the outcast. This game was enjoyable as some were labelled in by color, by size, or by item. Occasionally there were even moving items!

Spoiler
ScreenShot2012-09-22at31600AM_zps8641446c.png
ScreenShot2012-09-22at31736AM_zps80915fe9.png
Magic 6

Magic 6 was the easiest game I have played on PMC to date. It is a breathing exercise game that is focussed on controlling your heart rate. You are expected to hit SPACE every time you complete a breath cycle (1 in, 1 out). Their target goal is to get you hitting SPACE every 10 seconds on the dot. You do this for about 3-4 minutes. There is a golfer has a routine and swings, and that sequence takes 10 seconds. So he swings 6/min. On intermediate he swings 3/min and on hard he only swings 2/min.

By the end of this game, I was doing it with my eyes closed. I was able to record an average cycle time of 9.95 seconds. This game actually made me sleepy!

Spoiler
ScreenShot2012-09-22at32117AM_zpsca247e5a.png
Staying Positive

This game was overwhelming from the start. Faces popping up everywhere and words too. I missed a lot. But PMC expects you to miss a lot because its going so fast. Therefore, although I missed some, I did not receive such a terrible score. I tried narrowing my focus but I just couldnt because I was missing too many. I need to just go with the flow and make smart decisions and I will be better at this game.

Spoiler
ScreenShot2012-09-22at33157AM_zpscbe54969.png

All in all I did fairly well today. I am really enjoying this as a day-to-day activity and I hope you guys are considering this product. I will be golfing on Monday and Tuesday probably so I look forward to how this program helps me!

Not much action in this thread so if you have any questions please ask! Ive tested a product in the past that didnt carry much buzz before and its really difficult when its only testers who are into it.

Thanks!!

Thain

Great input Thain, its great seeing a nontester throwing some knowledge into the thread as well.

I really am interested in the product, but for me it is a bit cost-prohibitive.

I haven't had much time to be on here lately but am really intrigued with this program. I've only read the last couple pages for now. Great write-up Thain. I can't wait to see how this works out on the course.

Great input Thain, its great seeing a nontester throwing some knowledge into the thread as well.

I really am interested in the product, but for me it is a bit cost-prohibitive.

I agree that the cost is high. The one thing that I can suggest is that maybe with the $140 for the product and $40 for the second license, you could get together with someone and split the $180. It'll save you 50 bucks in the end..

I haven't had much time to be on here lately but am really intrigued with this program. I've only read the last couple pages for now. Great write-up Thain. I can't wait to see how this works out on the course.

I can't wait either kellybo! I've really missed you around here. Hope all is well!

Back