Pro V1 Practice Balls

aggiesam1983

Old Fart and an Aggie
Reaction score
Handicap
7 ish
Anybody play them? Not in competition but just out playing when it doesn’t matter. Titleist says same ball same performance, just a cosmetic flaw so they stamp Practice on them. I picked up a couple of dozen at Walmart for $28.88 each and they look great. They are all Pro V1X but I like both anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I believe there was a thread before about them but I used to purchase these and played them with relative success except for the fact that they were horrible on durability. They would scar up fast and sometimes nic easily. I believe even @JB mentioned he knew of a friend or acquaintance who had these as range balls at their club and they experienced the durability issues as well.

Have them and use them in my shag bag. I’ve seen them out on the course before, but I personally have never used them outside of >100 yards in the practice area.

I believe there was a thread before about them but I used to purchase these and played them with relative success except for the fact that they were horrible on durability. They would scar up fast and sometimes nic easily. I believe even @JB mentioned he knew of a friend or acquaintance who had these as range balls at their club and they experienced the durability issues as well.

Have not used Titleist ProV practice balls but played some Bridgestone B330-RX practice balls and found they also did not the the durability of the regular balls.

Maybe you are talking about refurbished? These are sold in Titleist packaging, supposed to only have a paint or stamp defect. These are basically x-outs but called practice.

Maybe you are talking about refurbished? These are sold in Titleist packaging, supposed to only have a paint or stamp defect. These are basically x-outs but called practice.

Not refurbished. These were the practice balls and this course did struggle with durability.
With that said, if someone likes them, go for it. At $30 a dozen there are a number of solid 3 piece urethane covered balls out there.

ProV1 practice balls are the exact see thing as the ProV1s except there are blemishes. 99% of the time the printing is off. The X-Outs have performance issues.

I have been playing these for years as they are the exact same ball. Anything else you read otherwise is complete fabrication.

I’ve played the prov1x practice balls quite a bit this season and performance has been great but i agree with a previous poster on durability. Not as good.

I’ve played the prov1x practice balls quite a bit this season and performance has been great but i agree with a previous poster on durability. Not as good.
They are the exact same ball as the ProV1 and Xs. Call Titleist and ask them. If you think the durability is not as good its in your head because you see PRACTICE stamped on the side.

My club went to them this year and they have durability issues on the range. Good ball but not built for a year on the range

I played a full round with Pro V1X Practice balls today. I really don’t see a difference in durability at all, these are not range balls they are “practice” because of mini cosmetics. I liked them although was spinning the heck out of them all day with several shots backing up more than expected. I normally spin the ball a lot, I hit down on the ball but the Pro V1X seemed to spin back more than normal but it may have been due to the wind. There were actually two shots that hit within five feet pin high but spun back 20 feet.

Titleist states, "Pro V1 Practice Golf Balls conform to the rules of golf but may contain cosmetic blemishes such as misapplication of paint or ink. Pro V1 Practice Golf Balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies. May contain both Pro V1 and Pro V1x Practice Golf Balls."

No wonder marketing is so powerful. It's amazing to see the comments about a product because it has a word stamped on the side when it's the same product. I guess people have to justify to themselves they should be spending $20 more on the same thing. "Not as durable." Hysterical..

Titleist states, "Pro V1 Practice Golf Balls conform to the rules of golf but may contain cosmetic blemishes such as misapplication of paint or ink. Pro V1 Practice Golf Balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies. May contain both Pro V1 and Pro V1x Practice Golf Balls."

No wonder marketing is so powerful. It's amazing to see the comments about a product because it has a word stamped on the side when it's the same product. I guess people have to justify to themselves they should be spending $20 more on the same thing. "Not as durable." Hysterical..

Do you have any idea how many more shots are hit on a range than in a round of golf? Your dying on a hill over a calculation error on thousands vs 50.

Do you have any idea how many more shots are hit on a range than in a round of golf? Your dying on a hill over a calculation error on thousands vs 50.
I believe the context was new ProV1 vs new practice-stamped ProV1, and the durability "differences" between them. Of course a range ball will get beat up more, I think this is where the negative connotations associated with "practice" balls come from.

I believe the context was new ProV1 vs new practice-stamped ProV1, and the durability "differences" between them. Of course a range ball will get beat up more, I think this is where the negative connotations associated with "practice" balls come from.

Context is king. I said that the course was using them and moved away from them. They are USGA approved. The company states it is cosmetic. Maybe it is. To me, there are a ton of great $30 golf ball options.

Context is king. I said that the course was using them and moved away from them. They are USGA approved. The company states it is cosmetic. Maybe it is. To me, there are a ton of great $30 golf ball options.

True but not that are Pro V1 or Pro V1X. If that matters, which it does to me since that’s what I play, it’s a great solution to an expensive problem.

I've played them and would probably play them occasionally if they weren't always the V1Xs around here. I never see the actual V1s. I'm with everyone else on the durability. They rarely lasted a round. So I prefer used V1s if I'm playing a cheaper option. They're not very durable either since they're already been played, but they're a buck a ball.

Can't "misapplication of paint" perhaps also mean an issue with the the process itself, curing, etc?

If so, that alone could account for the perception of a durability issue once put in play.

Not dying on anything. It's the same ball.

So if there’s no difference between the Practice ball and retail ProV1, does that mean titleist has significant manufacturing issues at their ball plants that rather than scrap the inventory that doesn’t Qc for retail packaging, due to the amount of volume that doesn’t pass, they felt the need to still try and make money off of it rather than take a loss? Or do you think it’s that there is a difference and Titleist knows it but rather than say that they let consumers purchase their flagship product at a discounted rate (which they don’t allow discounts off their MSRP) and hope consumers don’t complain because it’s a tour quality ball at a close to 35-40% off full retail price?

You can't play it in tournament play but its the same ball. That is why there are "x-outs" and "practice" differentiation. Clearly they have a higher standard so they reject more. Unlike Callaway as other sites have uncovered.

You can call Titleist and get an official statement.

Its the same ball but I recommend you nor anyone else buys them.;)

I wonder how many urethane range balls would hold up considering most ranges balls are surlyn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how many urethane range balls would hold up considering most ranges balls are surlyn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think theses are intended to be range balls except maybe at PGA events. I can see an individual using them in their shag bag, especially for short game practice, but not a range where they get beat every day by hackers

Back