Proactive Sports VariSpeed putting mat

93civiccpe

#LunaticFringe / "Hips Don't Lie" - Shakira
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Good afternoon,
I wanted to provide some initial feedback on the Proactive Sports VariSpeed putting mat. I had intended to get a different mat with my puttout trainer but the shop messed up and never shipped my mat. I took the opportunity to research other mats and this one caught my attention.
20200427_202808.jpg
Listed benefits / features :
- 4 speeds Stimp tested from 7.5 to 13
- visible ball traces to see your putting line.
- wedge to create a breaking putt

The mat is 10ft long which enables longer putts than other similar mats in this price range. I was surprised at the thickness and quality of the mat.
20200428_110645.jpg20200428_110855.jpg
I unrolled the mat and it laid flat quickly. The foam bumpers attach to each end with velcro and catch balls that are hit to firm. I started hitting putts in the "fast direction" and the putts were much quicker than previous mats I've used. From the "slow" direction the putts were much slower. I then took out the included roller and rolled the mat in the direction to get the maximum speed and it was definitely quick. In the slow direction it was still slower thrash the fast direction but faster than the previous slow direction prior to brushing. I then brushed it in the slow direction and it seemed like a similar speed as when I unboxed it. It does come with the rubber putting cup with the small flag though I'll mainly be using the puttout trainer.

Initial thoughts:
- I really like the quality and ability to dial different speeds depending on the course I'll be playing.
- The traces where the ball rolled are light but visible and can be helpful.
- I've only tried the wedge once but it does allow a breaking putt. Too early to tell if it will be beneficial or not.
- On the negative side, this mat is meant to be putted in just one direction. (I think it would be detrimental to putt slow, fast, slow, fast.. If you putted in both directions.)
- I've read that some have experienced that if putting for long enough the traces almost become a lane that the ball follows. When this happens you just have to use the roller.
- the mat comes with a small instruction sheet that includes some putting practice games you can try and I may try to incorporate these into my practice. Here are a couple additional pictures of the setup :
20200428_111512.jpg20200428_111705.jpg

Have the exact same mat. I don’t use the break aspect either, but use my puttout on it too.

Nice write up. Look forward to hearing more.

I have the exact same setup too. I find that I am much better at putting on the fast direction versus the slow direction.

My only complaint is the width of the mat. I wish the mat were a bit wider so when I want to practice angle putts (from a number 1 to the other sides number 1 as an example), we could actually use that as an option. You get pretty good at judging the speed after a few putts, do I recommend using the roller to change the speed often.

I have the exact same setup too. I find that I am much better at putting on the fast direction versus the slow direction.

My only complaint is the width of the mat. I wish the mat were a bit wider so when I want to practice angle putts (from a number 1 to the other sides number 1 as an example), we could actually use that as an option. You get pretty good at judging the speed after a few putts, do I recommend using the roller to change the speed often.
With the puttout I have realized that I like the shorter putts in the slow direction and the longer putts in the faster configuration. I guess that shows I don't have a lot of touch on the short ones. I agree about the width. I like that it's longer but if it was an extra 12-18 inches wider it would be awesome.

That's a pretty nice looking mat there and it's awesome that it has different speeds. I like the length of this mat as well!

I like the looks of that mat, nice to be able to play different speeds. Have you experienced the problem with the traces creating a groove for the putt to follow, and if so, are they easily eliminated?

Very cool, thanks for the review.

Cool. Nice review. Couple of questions:
Would you buy it again?
How long did it take from order to delivery?
What does it cost?
Would you recommend it to a friend, family member, or loved one or only enemies?:ROFLMAO:

seems like the mat is very competitive but a little bit higher than the biggest competitor in the market and the more popular product. Interested to see that value vs. price? Are you taking advantage of the multiple speeds or do you focus on 1 or 2 speeds.

I like the looks of that mat, nice to be able to play different speeds. Have you experienced the problem with the traces creating a groove for the putt to follow, and if so, are they easily eliminated?
I read about that in one review but honestly haven't noticed it myself. I mainly putt in the fast direction and hit over 100 putts at the puttout trainer today from different distances and never saw a groove form. I read about it from another reviewer and you can use the supplied roller to brush the mat out if it does happen.

What's the cost?

Just to add in here, yes you can get tracks so the ball will follow the same path. These are easily fixed by wiping. Yet, I probably don’t wipe as much as I should.

The one little issue that is probably the same for other mats I guess (only have this one so not sure) is you will get very used to the speed and bending of the mat. Many floors that I have tried were not perfectly flat, so you get used to the exact bend needed for your putt. Adding my PuttOUT trainer has made things much more difficult. That perfect putt is so much harder for me to achieve

Over 100 putts so far? Nice!

Just to add in here, yes you can get tracks so the ball will follow the same path. These are easily fixed by wiping. Yet, I probably don’t wipe as much as I should.

The one little issue that is probably the same for other mats I guess (only have this one so not sure) is you will get very used to the speed and bending of the mat. Many floors that I have tried were not perfectly flat, so you get used to the exact bend needed for your putt. Adding my PuttOUT trainer has made things much more difficult. That perfect putt is so much harder for me to achieve

Yours have about a cup right to left break in it?

In the fast direction about 2 ball break to right. Slow direction seems to be more in same direction which is odd. This is in my basement currently. Not sure what my work floor was, but I remember it was little or no break without using the wedges to force a break.

Any updates on this? I just came across it looking for home putting mats with multiple speeds.

Any updates on this? I just came across it looking for home putting mats with multiple speeds.
I'm still enjoying mine. I know some feel like they can develop tracks but I use the roller to brush in multiple directions often and haven't noticed it. I am making more shirt and mid length putts on the course

I'm still enjoying mine. I know some feel like they can develop tracks but I use the roller to brush in multiple directions often and haven't noticed it. I am making more shirt and mid length putts on the course
My son plays at greens running 10+ at our home club, but plays junior tournaments in the area. He played in one Tuesday at a local public course that isn't known for fast greens and worse, a monsoon hit that morning before the round. So the soft, wet greens were extra slow. He proceeded to shoot an 84 with 6, yes six, 3 putts. He was so frustrated and out of his normal thought process, that he actually got a penalty on one for picking up his ball that was like an inch from the hole. We'd do that in practice rounds for speed and I guess it was habit. So it should have been a round in the upper 70's or better. I was looking for something like this so he can get reps at different green speeds in case it would help in future situations like he encountered this week. I'd like to think that at some point he would have adjusted, but he never did. So maybe more experience at slower speeds would help to build a reference for his brain.

For reference on the rest of the round - +12/84, 11/14 FH, 12/18 GIRs, 1 penalty, 6 3-putts, 1 1-putt for 41 putts total. So above the PGA Tour average in fairways hit and greens in regulation, but can't chip close enough for 1 putts when he misses most greens, and putted terribly given the conditions. The same putter in his prior tournament at a different course resulted in 34 putts with two 3-putts and four 1-putts. So it's not the putter or even him in the right conditions.

My son plays at greens running 10+ at our home club, but plays junior tournaments in the area. He played in one Tuesday at a local public course that isn't known for fast greens and worse, a monsoon hit that morning before the round. So the soft, wet greens were extra slow. He proceeded to shoot an 84 with 6, yes six, 3 putts. He was so frustrated and out of his normal thought process, that he actually got a penalty on one for picking up his ball that was like an inch from the hole. We'd do that in practice rounds for speed and I guess it was habit. So it should have been a round in the upper 70's or better. I was looking for something like this so he can get reps at different green speeds in case it would help in future situations like he encountered this week. I'd like to think that at some point he would have adjusted, but he never did. So maybe more experience at slower speeds would help to build a reference for his brain.

For reference on the rest of the round - +12/84, 11/14 FH, 12/18 GIRs, 1 penalty, 6 3-putts, 1 1-putt for 41 putts total. So above the PGA Tour average in fairways hit and greens in regulation, but can't chip close enough for 1 putts when he misses most greens, and putted terribly given the conditions. The same putter in his prior tournament at a different course resulted in 34 putts with two 3-putts and four 1-putts. So it's not the putter or even him in the right conditions.

If it's brushed in the "fast" direction this mat is one of the faster home putting greens I've used so hopefully it can help him if you get it

It must be the season because I have been looking for putting matts too, 93civiccpe is a solid guy so I believe what he writes to be true. Just looked and walmart has this under $90 https://www.walmart.com/ip/VariSpee...GTKAA93Wh2sYEHP7Rp8aAsRnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I just wish it were 15 feet but I'm on heavy ponder now.
It may help that i heard about people saying you could get a channel developed so I made sure to brush it in all 4 directions often to prevent that from happening. My 3 kids and I practice on it often and I'm still happy with the purchase. I use mine in combination with the puttout trainer and it has helped my putting statistics this year

Back