Professional athletes who smoke

chirpy

Reaction score
Handicap
A friend send me this Sports Illustrated photo gallery of athletes who smoke, and the first photo is Ben Hogan hitting a shot with a cigarette in his mouth -- and a few photos later is Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus. Not surprisingly, there are a lot of golfers in this gallery of smokers... Some of the most surprising (for me at least) are the baseball players smoking in the dugout as late at the 1980s...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mu...athletes.who.smoke/content.1.html?eref=sircrc

Googling there seems to be a lot of lists of athletes who smoke stuff that isnt tobacco.

One of my favorite photos of all time, is of Ben Hogan and Arnold Palmer standing on the tee box, both with a cigarette draped out of their mouths. I honestly didn't know Bear smoked, so you learn something new everyday. As a smoker myself, I think the scrutiny smokers get is completely unwarranted. For some of us, it relaxes us, so I can see the benefit of it on the course, especially when you are under the pressure that Jack, Arnie and Ben were under. I don't think I would recommend that someone run the Boston Marathon with a Pall Mall draped on their lips, but a baseball manager having a smoke in the clubhouse or a golfer puffing on one as he walked the fairways isn't out of the norm. Truth. When I walked as a standard bearer at the BMW Championship, I smoked a cigarette or two on each side, as I walked. And I can't recall which caddy it was and for which player, but he smoked while walked with his player as well. I want to say it was Goosen's caddy, but I could be wrong.

I will go back to the John Kruk statement, after a woman spotted him puffing on a cigarette after a game. She came up to him and said, "John? Your not supposed to smoke. Your an athlete". To which John said, "Lady, I am not an athlete, I'm a baseball player".

I would like to quit smoking, but that is a whole new bag of issues for another place. :act-up:

Jack-Nicklaus.jpg

Jack was 1 cool cat.

I love it, I was always surprised to find out Dean Smith was a BIG time smoker

One of my favorite arguments to hear people have is about a cigarette/nicotine being a Performance Enhancing Drug for Golfers, because it can calm the nerves or steady the hand.

There are few things that look cooler than smoking.

Ben Crenshaw....saw him recently at the Masters smoking.

I love that pic of Arnie and Hogan, they are the epitome of class right there.

One of my favorite arguments to hear people have is about a cigarette/nicotine being a Performance Enhancing Drug for Golfers, because it can calm the nerves or steady the hand.

HA! I believe the European Tour did ban smoking, using that same argument that it is a PED. I remember Thomas Bjorn (who smokes) said,
'I don't think nicotine is performance-enhancing. It's a habit on and off the course. But I suppose I'd have to give up and eat more.'

Well back then smoking was advertised as being healthy for you!!

Cool pics, thanks for sharing!

How bout vlade divac smoking half a pack a day for most of his career? Always thought that was kinda crazy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Smoking is cool, I guess I need to start.

Beast mode from tapatalk

Haha in all honesty sometimes it makes my hands shake more when I am under a lot of pressure...I've found I golf better when I dont smoke but tend to see blow ups around 8-9 and am more consistent when I smoke.

So, I would totally allow you to be the one that tells Ben and Arnie they are slowing you down. LOL.

It actually looks to me as if they were the ones being held up. Hogan has an intimidating death stare about him like "I'll keeeelll you if you don't clear the fairway."

Everyone used to smoke back in the day.

Ads like this helped that:

old-school-ads-camels.jpg

old-school-ads-chesterfields.jpg

Pavel Bure was a smoker and Guy Lafleur would smoke in between periods and both of these guys could skate like the wind.
Love that advertisment with the doctors.

Used to watch Ron Washington sneak smokes when he was 3d base coach for the A's.

There was a recent article in SI about smoking in hockey. Said in the 80's every locker room was full of smoke, now a days nobody does it. It was pretty interesting.

There was a recent article in SI about smoking in hockey. Said in the 80's every locker room was full of smoke, now a days nobody does it. It was pretty interesting.

What I most remember about going to hockey games in the 80s were the smoky Arenas. It wasn't just the locker rooms.

Back