Project X Demo Day Reviews THP Outing

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The THP Fall Golf Outing has concluded and one of the many features of the THP Golf Outings is a rather large demo day with more equipment than you could ever imagine for all of the people to try out. We provided notebooks, pens, and gear and ask that people give their thoughts on the equipment that they tried.

This thread will be devoted for the Project X Shafts that were out there.

Iron Shafts in Williams FW32

This is the list and we look forward to hearing everybody's thoughts that got to experience this incredible day of demoing equipment.

used the 6.5 in the supertri for the weekend. The 6.5 I think was a tad too stiff for me. I hit it good on the range with the help of TC, however only hit it good once on the course.

I also hit Belbin's driver once on the range, hit that one ok too. He has the 6.5 or 7.0 in it.

I think I would go with a 6.0

I got to try out the 7.0 in an R9 9.5* supertri for a quite a few swings, including about 5 on the monitor.

For comparison, I currently use a Motore X-stiff in my R9.

I found the 7.0 to be less harsh feeling than my Motore, and probably better suited to my swing and tempo. When I jumped on the launch monitor, the numbers certainly backed up what I was feeling beforehand.

If memory serves me correctly, my averages on the monitor were as follows:
Swing Speed: 116
Ball Speed: Mid 160s
Carry distance: around 270
Backspin: Low to mid 2000s

So, it seems I was getting great transfer of swing speed to ball speed, nice carry and good low rpms on the backspin.

I wish I had brought my R9 head to try this in, but if I had the 7.0, I would game it in place of my stock motore in a microsecond.
JB, if you ever want to sell off that conveniently R9 tipped shaft at any point, please let me know :fingers-crossed:

Oh boy! Just what I wanted, a chance to talk about the Project X shaft that I absolutely fell in love with at the outing. TCalloway put a 5.5 in my R9 SuperTri and told me to give it a try. Right away I could tell a huge difference. After a little coaching about my tee height from the bomber himself, I started really hitting my drives longer than ever. I talked to JB about how much I loved it and he suggested I try the 5.0 to see if it hit even better. I had TC put that in and decided that it was probably the best of the two. Luckily I was allowed to use this shaft all weekend. It was absolutely amazing how well I hit my driver. I had so much confidence in my drives that I just aimed and swung. I didn't lose one ball off the tee all day on the Champion course. It was amazing. I hit some of the best drives ever out there. I was hoping that I would love it as much the next day when I played the Palmer course and it did not disappoint. In fact, I took a shortcut over the water on the long par 5 hole (can't remember which) and bombed one not too far from the 150 marker safely in the fairway. That's how much confidence that thing gave me. Too bad I pulled my next shot into the water though. :) Guess I need the same shaft in my fairway wood.

I was so excited about using this shaft that I sent my coach an email and told him about it. He wrote me back asking if I had been on a launch monitor and how I arrived at the 5.0. I told him I arrived at it by hitting it so well but had no idea about swing speeds, etc. My plan is to get with him soon and get fitted for the proper shaft and then make a purchase of one! I love this thing!

I can talk to this a bit. I have been hitting my Nike VR with the PX 6.5 in it for a while. I love the entire club, but it was because of the shaft that I purchased the club. When I went looking for a new shaft this was on the top of my list, and the whole new club only ended up being $20 more than buying the shaft itself. In any case, this shaft gives me a nice penetrating flight, and some great launch monitor numbers. At the outing I also tried the 7.0, and this was just as good for me as the 6.5. I could "go after" it more with the 7.0 and trust that the shaft would keep up.

Although I loved the 7.0 as much or more than my 6.5 I think what I may end up doing is "Tipping" it to get it a bit stiffer.

I tried a couple of the other shafts that were around, with the SuperTri, and I just liked the PX that much better. Not saying there aren't other great shafts out there, but for my game I will be sticking with the Project X.

As our pal Biggsy can attest to... "Chicks dig the long ball".

Yeah man you were hammering them nice. And to think that these X's are to keep ball flight down. I can't see any other option for you, dude. This is your stick.

The Project X graphite driver shaft (6.5) is hands down the best shaft I've ever used!!!
I used those Williams irons quite a bit and they were smooth as silk with the PX shaft in it, great ball flight and a great set all the way around.

• Admin
Im with you P4B. I love the PX driver shafts. I use the 6.0 when I am using one and they are in my top 2 favorite shafts out there right now.

I also really liked the new PX iron shafts. Never been a huge fan of graphite iron shafts, but these worked really well.

I liked the PX shaft. I definately need a 6.0 and not the 6.5 that I took out on the course. I am thinking of throwing one in my "new driver" that or a miyazaki

I liked the PX shaft. I definately need a 6.0 and not the 6.5 that I took out on the course. I am thinking of throwing one in my "new driver" that or a miyazaki

I know that when P4B did that, he was basically set. He loves that shaft and it made all the difference in the world to him.

Played the 6.0 for nine holes over the weekend, and quite like it. To me it performed just a tad bit better than the Miyazaki Blue I tested for the other 9 holes. Feel was very good, a very smooth shaft. In fact both were very good for that. Can't really speak to ball flight as my driving was still not incredibly good, but I did have one good drive that did as it was supposed to and got a good medium flight. Definitely a good shaft.

There is one thing I did not get accomplished at the demo day and that was shafts which I hate myself for. I have heard rants and raves about these and would love to know which shaft is best for me.

Big fan of these shafts too. Great feel and a nice not too low or not too high ball flight.

i didn't get a chance to demo any of them either, too busy running around like a mad man. i wanted to, but i also wanted to test the c.kua's and didn't get to either. NEED MORE TIME!

I picked up a project x shaft that is being delivered today. I liked it that much!

I picked up a project x shaft that is being delivered today. I liked it that much!

Thats how the italian mafia works, us normal people go get our shafts, he gets his delivered.

and that shaft better be the right flex, or I send it back.
it better not have a scratch on it, or I send it back
if the box is damaged in any way shape or form, I send it back

delivered!

I want more feedback?

always leave them wanting more...

will try to have it installed this weekend.

always leave them wanting more...

will try to have it installed this weekend.

you haven't had it installed yet? you get shafts installed like jb holmes plays a round of golf.....both take forever. HA!

you haven't had it installed yet? you get shafts installed like jb holmes plays a round of golf.....both take forever. HA!

waiting for something else to come in. It's a process my friend.

:bananadance: should be here tomorrow

fantastic news! congrats. i know you were digging the PX shaft at demo day. i'm glad for ya.

Back