Project X Even Flow Riptide Shaft

It is interesting how we all have different perceptions. To me, it is not a relatively stout shaft. On the spectrum between Hzrdus and EvenFlow, it is much closer to EvenFlow, which it should be, if it is the successor to EvenFlow.
This is true. Though once we played with the numbers, I'm infinitely happy with what I came out with.

Also a lot of feedback on this one in the Small Batch buildup thread, since this was the tester shaft. Just food for thought.;)

So while dropping off my irons to get the Oban's put in, it was dead quiet so my fitter let me hit whatever I wanted just to give him something to do. I ended up hiting a 160 shots and played with over a dozen shafts. It was a good night.

I was able to hit the Riptide 6.0 which I thought was a good replacement for my Evenflow Black 6.0. First, the shaft looks great in person, way better than in pictures. Second, I agree that this feels a lot more like an Evenflow from a feel perspective than a Hzrdous shaft. Hit mine and the demo head ( EF Sz ) back to back. The Riptide is a stronger tip feel to me but the same hand feel on stiffness. I ended hitting it a bit further on average ( 3-4 yards ) with a slight smash factor increase. ( 1.47 on average to 1.48 ) with swing speeds 103-105 mph. If I was coming from a lesser shaft, I'd jump in. But since I already had the Evenflow Black, I didn't see enough of a change to warrant swapping.

I even went back to it later in the session just to make sure it wasn't just bad hits and got the same results. Nice shaft, feels a bit more tip stiff to me but not enough of a change.

That being said.....I did end up buying a new shaft. Ugh.

Last edited:
So while dropping off my irons to get the Oban's put in, it was dead quiet so my fitter let me hit whatever I wanted just to give him something to do. I ended up hiting a 160 shots and played with over a dozen shafts. It was a good night.

I was able to hit the Riptide 6.0 which I thought was a good replacement for my Evenflow Black 6.0. First, the shaft looks great in person, way better than in pictures. Second, I agree that this feels a lot more like an Evenflow from a feel perspective than a Hzrdous shaft. Hit mine and the demo head ( EF Sz ) back to back. The Riptide is a stronger tip feel to me but the same hand feel on stiffness. I ended hitting it a bit further on average ( 3-4 yards ) with a slight smash factor increase. ( 1.47 on average to 1.48 ) with swing speeds 103-105 mph. If I was coming from a lesser shaft, I'd jump in. But since I already had the Evenflow Black, I didn't see enough of a change to warrant swapping.

I even went back to it later in the session just to make sure it wasn't just bad hits and got the same results. Nice shaft, feels a bit more tip stiff to me but not enough of a change.

That being said.....I did end up buying a new shaft. Ugh.
It was the "stronger tip feel" that I didn't like about the Riptide, which is why on my build we jacked the torque way up to make it feel like it really released at the tip end.

This is the shaft that I am most interested in trying. Do you recall your swing speed? I have been playing a 5,.5 EF blue in my driver, and Stiff flex in all my other clubs, and want to see what a good starting point would be for me.

No Idea what it was that day, but just a couple of weeks before it was avg 95mph.

so I got some time in with this shaft today and I'm a bit perplexed on this shaft and the feel I got with it. Maybe more time with it is needed but I definitely prefer EF blue over this shaft based on initial session.

I was able to see each of the Riptide shafts in person today and boy did they look pretty. I did not get to give either one a try, but I hope to do so soon.

so I got some time in with this shaft today and I'm a bit perplexed on this shaft and the feel I got with it. Maybe more time with it is needed but I definitely prefer EF blue over this shaft based on initial session.

Can you articulate why you prefer the EF Blue?

I was able to see each of the Riptide shafts in person today and boy did they look pretty. I did not get to give either one a try, but I hope to do so soon.

I love the shaft so far, but you’re absolutely correct. It looks good as well.

Can you articulate why you prefer the EF Blue?

maybe it was the weight but the shaft felt stable but lacked feedback where as with the EF blue, feedback was easier to feel in the hands throughout impact. Probably the profile i'm used to now with smoke yellow.

The paint is stunning on these for sure! I don’t know which one I prefer looks-wise.

Any feedback on this one from those running out and trying the new MAVRIK stuff?

Or is everyone just ogling the Rogue too hard at the moment? :p

One heck of a shaft here, I figured we would get more convo?

Any feedback on this one from those running out and trying the new MAVRIK stuff?

Or is everyone just ogling the Rogue too hard at the moment? :p

One heck of a shaft here, I figured we would get more convo?
Ended up with this in the driver and both fairways. 60g 5.5 reg Very happy with it as I'm right on the edge of regular and stiff flex and we saw better numbers with the regular flex. About a 3 mph increase in swing speed and tighter dispersion. It also let me get thru the ball better and kept me from blocking the ball out right.
The shaft itself looks great, but that's just me.

Ended up with this in the driver and both fairways. 60g 5.5 reg Very happy with it as I'm right on the edge of regular and stiff flex and we saw better numbers with the regular flex. About a 3 mph increase in swing speed and tighter dispersion. It also let me get thru the ball better and kept me from blocking the ball out right.
The shaft itself looks great, but that's just me.
Love it. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Ok, I’ll ask, why no buzz here like we have seen with every other PX release lately? Especially considering we are getting it in a major release RIGHT out of the gates of its lifecycle for no upcharge?

Ok, I’ll ask, why no buzz here like we have seen with every other PX release lately? Especially considering we are getting it in a major release RIGHT out of the gates of its lifecycle for no upcharge?

I really want to try it. I skipped over the EvenFlow series, but this has my attention. Will definitely be trying it in the Mavrik once I get my hands on one to try.

Not feedback from the Mavrik but I did try it in my EF SZ and it was definitely better than my stock Evenflow Black. It didn't measure up to the Oban I ended with but no doubt that between the Evenflow Black vs the Riptide, the Riptide was the clear winner.

I really want to try it. I skipped over the EvenFlow series, but this has my attention. Will definitely be trying it in the Mavrik once I get my hands on one to try.
It is absolutely worth trying! Super smooth.

That's what I love about all of the other modern Project X shafts I've tried or have.
And besides that, the paint job is pure ?! They did it right before our eyes, and it was like magic.

Last edited:
I just got the chance to hit this in the Mavrik a couple days ago and loved it. Easy to put a good swing on, great ball flight where it got great height but still penetrating and it looks badass. It felt really good, a nice in between where it can handle a hard swing but not a stiff board feeling. It seemed like a great fit for my swing.

Back