Project X LZ 6.0 vs Modus 120 S

Luv2kruz

Reaction score
Handicap
Low
Read in several places that these shafts are very similar. Anyone gamed both of them and can offer a comparison?

Yes, I have gamed both but LZ 6.5 and Modus 105. They are really similar. I liked the load of the LZ a lot more. Plus I don’t think you’ll get Modus shafts in the next four months if you order now. Project X will be much faster.

Yes, I have gamed both but LZ 6.5 and Modus 105. They are really similar. I liked the load of the LZ a lot more. Plus I don’t think you’ll get Modus shafts in the next four months if you order now. Project X will be much faster.

I have both sets of shafts in my possession, so don't have to worry about delivery. The reason I want to know about the similarities and/or differences is a little long winded, so bear with me regarding the explanation below. Maybe someone can help me understand what I am seeing and offer an explanation.

I was fit a few years ago for a iron set with the Project X LZ shafts and sourced them back then, intending to build a set on my own to my fitting specs. I happened to come across a really nice used set of P760s with the Modus 120s already installed and read about how similar they are, so I just left them in and gamed the set for the last year and a half and am quite used to them and like them. Late last year, I put a set of MCC+4 Align midsize grips on the clubs and immediately noticed a different feel to the clubs, which I later realized was because the swing weight changed so much due to those grips being significantly heavier at 62g grip. Swing weights changed from D1-D2 range to C8-C9 range. I put some lead tape on the heads temporarily (quite a lot tape actually) to try to get back to a swing weight that felt better, but I am still not happy with them. I have a 4 iron that I put the Project X Lz in (don't ask why) and noticed that I don't need as much tape on that iron as I do the rest of the irons in the set. So I'm concluding that, although both shafts are similar in total weight, the weight distribution is different. The Project X LZ appears to have weight near the head and the Modus has more weight in the handle. Can any one confirm this?

So, if the shafts are similar in flight and feel, I plan to remove the Modus and reinstall the Project X LZ. I'll be able to use the MCC+4 align grips and use lighter lead weights and/or tape to get the desired swing weight. Is there anything else that I should be aware of before I make the switch?

I do not know about the weight distribution but feels like if you arent happy or you're questioning your modus shafts, it may be worth trying the LZ shafts. If you own both sets, probably worth a gamble to swap them out?

I believe the shafts have very similar profiles, and it's one I enjoy. Modus 120 is only 114g in stiff vs the LZ at 120g in 6.0. Not sure if that's enough to cause what you are feeling.

I didn’t perceive them as feeling the same. I love my 120s but couldn’t feel the club head on the LZ

The Modus 120's typically play softer to flex. The PX LZ's 6.0 will feel heavier but not like swinging a telephone pole or super stiff. Modus 120 stiff only actually weigh 114g compared to the LZ's at 120

Everyone is different but most people find the LZ's to have a little less spin and slightly lower launch. Both shafts are very smooth

He asked about the 120 profile not the 105.

If I’m not mistaken the 120 profile and the LZ profile are fairly different from one another.

The 120 is butt soft and very tip stiff, but smooth to many people. While the LZ I think is a firmer butt, stiff tip and softer mid section (hence the Loading Zone moniker).
I’ve tried the modus 120 in stiff and hated it. If you get quick in transition, it can be a challenge.
The LZ in 6.0 felt ok to me. It was unremarkable for me. Not great, but also not bad.
Perhaps I would have liked both if I went stiffer in them (X for 120 and 6.5 for the LZ)?

I had the PX LZ 95 6.0 in my 2019 Apex and wanted the LZ in my 2021 Apex Pro, but wasn't an option, so tested the Nippon Modus 105 and liked them a lot. The LZ felt a lot more whippy as the Modus felt smooth through the entire swing. I also noticed my launch came down a little. A friend of mine has the Modus 120 in his blue prints and I have hit them and really like them, but don't know much other than that on the 120s.

27477072-ED5D-4F5D-9CD1-2FDE054FF667.jpeg
657D9B1E-D8B0-45D3-BBF4-021F0BC5DA64.jpeg

I have both sets of shafts in my possession, so don't have to worry about delivery. The reason I want to know about the similarities and/or differences is a little long winded, so bear with me regarding the explanation below. Maybe someone can help me understand what I am seeing and offer an explanation.

I was fit a few years ago for a iron set with the Project X LZ shafts and sourced them back then, intending to build a set on my own to my fitting specs. I happened to come across a really nice used set of P760s with the Modus 120s already installed and read about how similar they are, so I just left them in and gamed the set for the last year and a half and am quite used to them and like them. Late last year, I put a set of MCC+4 Align midsize grips on the clubs and immediately noticed a different feel to the clubs, which I later realized was because the swing weight changed so much due to those grips being significantly heavier at 62g grip. Swing weights changed from D1-D2 range to C8-C9 range. I put some lead tape on the heads temporarily (quite a lot tape actually) to try to get back to a swing weight that felt better, but I am still not happy with them. I have a 4 iron that I put the Project X Lz in (don't ask why) and noticed that I don't need as much tape on that iron as I do the rest of the irons in the set. So I'm concluding that, although both shafts are similar in total weight, the weight distribution is different. The Project X LZ appears to have weight near the head and the Modus has more weight in the handle. Can any one confirm this?

So, if the shafts are similar in flight and feel, I plan to remove the Modus and reinstall the Project X LZ. I'll be able to use the MCC+4 align grips and use lighter lead weights and/or tape to get the desired swing weight. Is there anything else that I should be aware of before I make the switch?

Perhaps take the clubs apart and add tip weights?

@Luv2kruz - Happy you started this thread. I've been going down the shaft rabbit hole over the last few days and this adds to my digging to understand more about shafts and their interaction in the golf swing... I feel like a 3-year-old with the continuous statement of "but why?". :ROFLMAO:

@Luv2kruz - Happy you started this thread. I've been going down the shaft rabbit hole over the last few days and this adds to my digging to understand more about shafts and their interaction in the golf swing... I feel like a 3-year-old with the continuous statement of "but why?". :ROFLMAO:

And to make matters worse, you may react differently from other people, so the key really is to demo and test each for yourself.

Me for example: I discovered that I actually hit C-Taper shafts (a "Low" launch, spin etc.) design, fairly high.
Yet you give me a Modus 120 shaft and I hit low bullets.

I think over time with a given setup our natural athleticism will take over an you can likely groove any shaft you want.

I would guess the weight of the shafts is more important than the profile in that regard. You can likely train yourself to manage any profile, but a weight that is wrong is likely to just be wrong...

And to make matters worse, you may react differently from other people, so the key really is to demo and test each for yourself.

Me for example: I discovered that I actually hit C-Taper shafts (a "Low" launch, spin etc.) design, fairly high.
Yet you give me a Modus 120 shaft and I hit low bullets.

I think over time with a given setup our natural athleticism will take over an you can likely groove any shaft you want.

I would guess the weight of the shafts is more important than the profile in that regard. You can likely train yourself to manage any profile, but a weight that is wrong is likely to just be wrong...
I'm interested to see what happens with some new sticks coming. Fitter moved me from my PX LZ 120 6.0 to Dynamic Gold 132 g Xstiff. With those DG shafts, I was able to "feel" the club head but I could tell there was a difference in the shafts. It'll be interesting here in a few weeks to see what I really think.

I'm interested to see what happens with some new sticks coming. Fitter moved me from my PX LZ 120 6.0 to Dynamic Gold 132 g Xstiff. With those DG shafts, I was able to "feel" the club head but I could tell there was a difference in the shafts. It'll be interesting here in a few weeks to see what I really think.

THAT is a heck of a change in weight, flex and profile. Yeah, gonna be interesting for you!

THAT is a heck of a change in weight, flex and profile. Yeah, gonna be interesting for you!
yea... I was concerned about it as well. But the numbers, dispersion, and such didn't lie. I was all over the place with the PX's and when I went to the DG - the dispersion was pretty tight. So.. We'll see what rolls out!

It's been awhile since I have had the LZ's but I remember the 120's felt more stout to me. I felt it worked better with my aggressive swing.

I might just end up playing around with the 4 iron with the LZ already installed and comparing it to the 5 iron with the Modus already installed. I think the biggest issue was the grip change and its impact on the feel of the club. I'll play around with different grips and swing weights to see which combination feels best for each shaft. I tend to draw the ball (and sometimes hook it), so I will definitely favour the setup that promotes more of a fade, which is the shot shape that I had when I played my best golf.

I moved from the Modus 120 S to the PX LZ 6.0 last year.
I love the Modus, but the strike with the LZ is so much better for me.
Modus gave me lots of center to toe strikes
LZ gives me center to low with the occasional toe strike.

Since strike is king.... LZ is my choice.
If the strike was the same between the two, I'd go Modus.

Bumping this after today.
I’ve been playing the Rogue ST Pro irons with the Modus 120s with pretty good results. I have enjoyed the combo so far.
Well today at a fitting event I was trying out the Pros with the 120 LZ, and could not believe the performance. The feel and everything was just so smooth, and almost effortless. It was everything I wanted it to be. Ordered a set.

Bumping this after today.
I’ve been playing the Rogue ST Pro irons with the Modus 120s with pretty good results. I have enjoyed the combo so far.
Well today at a fitting event I was trying out the Pros with the 120 LZ, and could not believe the performance. The feel and everything was just so smooth, and almost effortless. It was everything I wanted it to be. Ordered a set.

Well that escalated quickly!! 😆 Awesome!!

Played first round yesterday. Initial impressions are that the LZ was much more stable and felt very very good. I didn't have any of the weak flares to the right I would see occasionally when using the Modus 120s. The ball just wants to go straight and high. Really excited for a second round with them today

Back