Project X RDX shaft

I had some free time so ended up just hanging out at golf mart. They had some demo TSI's so had to jump on it, with the RDX 6.5 60. It really is an interesting shaft, in a very good way. The Hzrdus shafts for me in general don't fit me. Smoke Black is just a mess all over the place. Yellow is better marginally...Green is good but very demanding. The RDX is extremely stable and fast for a lighter shaft and certainly more playable. Bunch of low spin bombs, right around 2000 spin. This is going to be a really popular shaft IMO.

Anyone know the retail price of this shaft?

The smoke black rdx surprised me when I was trying the TSi3. It kinda mixed the stability of the original black but balance point and feel of the smoke.

Will be curious if this ends up like the smoke black and the original yellow or if it's more like the original black and red with the OEMs.

i watched a review of the rdx blue this week, and they mentioned something that i haven't yet heard, was curious to hear the px folks' take on this. the reviewers said that the rdx hextow technology is project x's answer to fujikura's velocore technology. and those reviewers were shocked by how good the rdx (in the blue profile) was, providing incredibly easy speed with well-managed spin and superb stability.

can anyone provide more info on hextow? what is it? how does it work? who is it for? how does it benefit the golfer?

i watched a review of the rdx blue this week, and they mentioned something that i haven't yet heard, was curious to hear the px folks' take on this. the reviewers said that the rdx hextow technology is project x's answer to fujikura's velocore technology. and those reviewers were shocked by how good the rdx (in the blue profile) was, providing incredibly easy speed with well-managed spin and superb stability.

can anyone provide more info on hextow? what is it? how does it work? who is it for? how does it benefit the golfer?

I don't know, but I just watched the same review and would love to give this one a rip. Smooth and stable for a medium tempo. That blue finish!

I really want to try the Rdx blue in tx. I tend to do really well with mid soft tip stiff profiles.. it seems right up my alley.

Really enjoy the 6.5 Black for Driver and 3 wood. Very curious to see how different the TX version is and how both compare to the Blue RDX.

Hextow is Hexcel's model name for their carbon fiber. It comes in a number of different modulus and different forms, like prepregs, chop, strand, etc. The RDX uses HM54, which is a high modulus (light, rigid), and IM2C, which is an intermediate modulus. It's not as rigid, but still light and extremely strong. HM54 is essentially the answer to Velocore, or T1100G.

Hextow is Hexcel's model name for their carbon fiber. It comes in a number of different modulus and different forms, like prepregs, chop, strand, etc. The RDX uses HM54, which is a high modulus (light, rigid), and IM2C, which is an intermediate modulus. It's not as rigid, but still light and extremely strong. HM54 is essentially the answer to Velocore, or T1100G.

I don’t think it is the same thing as velocore. That is a full length layer on a 45 bias. Not a fiber.
The hulk has hextow64 In it.

awesome info! thanks man

I don’t think it is the same thing as velocore. That is a full length layer on a 45 bias. Not a fiber.
The hulk has hextow64 In it.
Pitch fiber is just a different carbon base than Polyacrylonitrile carbon. Pitch 70 ton Velocore is just an extremely high modulus graphite, which makes it very stiff. There's no industry standard for whether 70 ton or 54 million modulus are the same or different. Both are continuous fiber prepregs, likely used in similar ply orientations.

Pitch fiber is just a different carbon base than Polyacrylonitrile carbon. Pitch 70 ton Velocore is just an extremely high modulus graphite, which makes it very stiff. There's no industry standard for whether 70 ton or 54 million modulus are the same or different. Both are continuous fiber prepregs, likely used in similar ply orientations.

velocore as I understand it is an orientation. Not a fiber. Velocore is a fujikura produced name for a full length 45 degree layer of the 70 ton pitch.

hextow54 is the name of the fiber being used. Primarily as a way to create stiffness without increasing weight. As its strength to weight ratio is high.

velocore as I understand it is an orientation. Not a fiber. Velocore is a fujikura produced name for a full length 45 degree layer of the 70 ton pitch.

hextow54 is the name of the fiber being used. Primarily as a way to create stiffness without increasing weight. As its strength to weight ratio is high.
By my understanding, the 70 ton prepreg would be 0/90, as Fuji says 40 ton is used in the bias layers. They basically just used a sheet of the extremely strong material the entire length of the shaft, whereas most manufacturers only use it in the tip section for added stability.

Last edited:
By my understanding, the 70 ton prepreg would be 0/90, as Fuji says 40 ton is used in the bias layers. They basically just used a sheet of the extremely strong material the entire length os the shaft, whereas most manufacturers only use it in the tip section for added stability.

i could very likely have the layers wrong haha. But velocore is a fiber orientation. vs. hextow being a specific type of fiber.. that being the difference and why hextow is not “necessarily” velocore by a different name.

but I would agree they both are trying to increase stability while maintaining feel.

I am not saying one is better than the other. Although I have been a fan of the ventus line. I have an Rdx black and really want to try the blue in TX..

I would love to learn more about the new Blue shaft. It sounds pretty awesome from what little I have been able to find.

I would love to learn more about the new Blue shaft. It sounds pretty awesome from what little I have been able to find.
I got a few swings with it yesterday morning and really liked the feel. I’ve never cared for the HZRDUS lines for myself but have seen great success with it in fittings. The RDX Blue is the first one that felt really good to me, I’m eager to get a little more data with it. I’m going to put it through some more swings on Monday and compare it to the Tensei AV Raw White and Kiyoshi Tour Limited I used last season.

I need one. Need.

I need one. Need.
i have been drooling over the blue model since i heard about it a couple months ago. Being the new higher balance point model with very similar profile and launch characteristics to my custom THCE has been me counting the days until the blue is launched. That being said, the black is very playable for moderate SS which is surprising given the previous models baring the hzrdus black name were, IMO, stiff to flex.

i have been drooling over the blue model since i heard about it a couple months ago. Being the new higher balance point model with very similar profile and launch characteristics to my custom THCE has been me counting the days until the blue is launched. That being said, the black is very playable for moderate SS which is surprising given the previous models baring the hzrdus black name were, IMO, stiff to flex.

The blue will be a stock option in the cobra RAD driver. Cobra always does a good job with their shaft selections.

Back