Project X RDX shaft

It’s perfect and the ball speeds are excellent for this 60 year old THPer.
Distance you're getting is pretty satisfactory too! Not sure if your sim has your elevation adjustment, and even if it does, those yardages are pretty awesome! I might possibly be getting a smoke blue soon, so I can't wait to see if I can get along with it like you are

Distance you're getting is pretty satisfactory too! Not sure if your sim has your elevation adjustment, and even if it does, those yardages are pretty awesome! I might possibly be getting a smoke blue soon, so I can't wait to see if I can get along with it like you are
The TrackMan was set for my elevation, which is 4000 feet. Still, at sea level, I am likely seeing 245-ish carry and 265 total yards with driver. I will take it.

I had a TrackMan session this evening using the Titleist TSi3 driver and the Smoke Blue RDX 6.0 60 shaft. I honestly do not believe that I can generate better ball numbers than I am seeing. I really dig this shaft.
Those are some great numbers, and a beautiful ball flight. Plenty of roll out too!
How does this compare to your custom shaft?

Those are some great numbers, and a beautiful ball flight. Plenty of roll out too!
How does this compare to your custom shaft?
My swing has changed quite a bit since the Small Batch experience. This shaft probably fits me better, in all honesty. It is lower spin and launch, for sure.

My swing has changed quite a bit since the Small Batch experience. This shaft probably fits me better, in all honesty. It is lower spin and launch, for sure.
Interesting. And what profile did you start with again?

It’s perfect and the ball speeds are excellent for this 60 year old THPer.

Well done...that sampling in near perfect. Those carry and total distance are fantastic.

Question @Tenputt , you mention that you came from the Riptide shaft. Which flex and weight did you play in the Riptide? Because I see you now are hitting bombs with the Smoke Blue RDX 6.0 and I play Evenflo Green 6.0 and I’m wondering if for myself going from the Evenflo to RDX Blue Smoke if I would go to a 6.0 flex or a 5.5?

I’m sort of torn if I do upgrade my shaft if I go with the RDX Smoke Blue or the Ventus Blue (5 Stiff). If you have any thoughts, please share...I am all ears. Thanks.

How would you compare to the RDX black stock shaft? Just curious...
It is easy to discern that they are sibling shafts. For me, the difference is that the Blue feels just a tad more lively. The counter balance makes the club feel lighter, which is a benefit to me at my swing speed. I think top end, I am getting two or three more mph ball speed with the Blue.

Well done...that sampling in near perfect. Those carry and total distance are fantastic.

Question @Tenputt , you mention that you came from the Riptide shaft. Which flex and weight did you play in the Riptide? Because I see you now are hitting bombs with the Smoke Blue RDX 6.0 and I play Evenflo Green 6.0 and I’m wondering if for myself going from the Evenflo to RDX Blue Smoke if I would go to a 6.0 flex or a 5.5?

I’m sort of torn if I do upgrade my shaft if I go with the RDX Smoke Blue or the Ventus Blue (5 Stiff). If you have any thoughts, please share...I am all ears. Thanks.
I really have not played Riptide for an extended period. @YukonLiving and I were part of the group of participants in last year’s THP Small Batch experience, where we got to make out own custom shafts down at True Sports headquarters in San Diego. Most of us used the Riptide as a baseline for our shafts, but then customized our shafts from there. Mine is actually heavier and lower launch/spin than a normal Riptide.

Your question is good. I don’t know if you would stick with the 6.0 in a Hzrdus line. What is your club speed? How would you describe your transition? What kind of ball flight and spin were you seeing with the Evenflo Green?

I honestly would say that the Ventus Blue 6 stiff and the Smoke Blue are not all that different for me in how they play. I also have hit the Ventus Blue 5 in stiff. That might be a really good move from your Evenflo Green, if you like the Evenflow. It’s so hard to know these things without knowing more about your swing.

I really have not played Riptide for an extended period. @YukonLiving and I were part of the group of participants in last year’s THP Small Batch experience, where we got to make out own custom shafts down at True Sports headquarters in San Diego. Most of us used the Riptide as a baseline for our shafts, but then customized our shafts from there. Mine is actually heavier and lower launch/spin than a normal Riptide.

Your question is good. I don’t know if you would stick with the 6.0 in a Hzrdus line. What is your club speed? How would you describe your transition? What kind of ball flight and spin were you seeing with the Evenflo Green?

I honestly would say that the Ventus Blue 6 stiff and the Smoke Blue are not all that different for me in how they play. I also have hit the Ventus Blue 5 in stiff. That might be a really good move from your Evenflo Green, if you like the Evenflow. It’s so hard to know these things without knowing more about your swing.

My Evenflo Green is a soft, high spin shaft which requires me to be delicate which is why I am looking at either a Ventus 5S (according to Fujikura fitting chart) or a Hzrdus RDX Blue Smoke. In the Hzdrus I was recommended either a 6.0 (untipped) or a 5.5 (tipped 1"). My swing I would say is deliberate with a boring follow through, I make pretty good center contact. My SS is between 93-98 and typically hit my driver on average 240-250 yds. In both the shafts I am looking at I have read are stiff tip & butt with a softer mid so I can more easily load the shaft. As well, both shafts are low spin which should help with distance and dispersion (🤞). I think both will be an improvement over the Evenflo. Thoughts?

My Evenflo Green is a soft, high spin shaft which requires me to be delicate which is why I am looking at either a Ventus 5S (according to Fujikura fitting chart) or a Hzrdus RDX Blue Smoke. In the Hzdrus I was recommended either a 6.0 (untipped) or a 5.5 (tipped 1"). My swing I would say is deliberate with a boring follow through, I make pretty good center contact. My SS is between 93-98 and typically hit my driver on average 240-250 yds. In both the shafts I am looking at I have read are stiff tip & butt with a softer mid so I can more easily load the shaft. As well, both shafts are low spin which should help with distance and dispersion (🤞). I think both will be an improvement over the Evenflo. Thoughts?
I knew the Green was much softer. Your description helps. Based purely on your description, my knowledge of the shafts and throwing out all of the disclaimers my attorney brain can conjure up 😂, I would suggest either the Ventus 5 in stiff or the Smoke Blue in 5.5 tipped. My swing speed is a bit higher than yours, although not a ton, and if it were lower, I would likely fit the Smoke Blue better in 5.5. Obviously, tempo, transition, and the way each of us delivers the club head through impact affects everything, but I feel pretty confident in my recommendation. I played the Venus 5 stiff in a SpeedZone head for a while last year and I saw some very good numbers. I ultimately moved to a 6, but, honestly, the 5 worked extremely well, too.

@Tenputt , any chance you've hit the Hzrdous Smoke yellow shaft ( pre-cursor in profile to the blue RDX ) and could compare that vs the Smoke Blue RDX? Curious if it has similar feel, results, etc. comparatively.

@Tenputt , any chance you've hit the Hzrdous Smoke yellow shaft ( pre-cursor in profile to the blue RDX ) and could compare that vs the Smoke Blue RDX? Curious if it has similar feel, results, etc. comparatively.
I have hit the Smoke Yellow. For some reason, I did not hit it very well. IIRC, the Yellow did not have the same stiff tip that the Blue RDX has. In the first iteration of the Hzrdus Smoke series, I hit the Black much better than Yellow. In this newer RDX series, I seem to be getting better results with the Blue than the Black. Go figure...

I have hit the Smoke Yellow. For some reason, I did not hit it very well. IIRC, the Yellow did not have the same stiff tip that the Blue RDX has. In the first iteration of the Hzrdus Smoke series, I hit the Black much better than Yellow. In this newer RDX series, I seem to be getting better results with the Blue than the Black. Go figure...
This is exactly what draws me to the RDX Blue so much - that extra tip stiffness is a must for me.

This is exactly what draws me to the RDX Blue so much - that extra tip stiffness is a must for me.
You hockey players and your fast hands...

Interesting. Supposedly the big difference is that stiffer tip. Both have a softer midsection for more loading. I really hit the Smoke Black and Smoke Black RDX well but was curious how much that softer mid section would affect both ball speed and head control.

You hockey players and your fast hands...
Now I just need to figure out the whole maximizing my potential swing speed thing...

Interesting. Supposedly the big difference is that stiffer tip. Both have a softer midsection for more loading. I really hit the Smoke Black and Smoke Black RDX well but was curious how much that softer mid section would affect both ball speed and head control.
We all are different, but for me, the head control is still there, and I likely am getting a little more ball speed, as mentioned. The biggest thing is that it feels easier to swing, with the softer midsection. Feel matters to me, especially towards the end of a round on a hot day, walking a hilly course, when fatigue has set in a bit.

We all are different, but for me, the head control is still there, and I likely am getting a little more ball speed, as mentioned. The biggest thing is that it feels easier to swing, with the softer midsection. Feel matters to me, especially towards the end of a round on a hot day, walking a hilly course, when fatigue has set in a bit.

I also read somewhere that the Blue being counter-balanced will actually promote a little more club head speed. I can’t attest to that as I have never swung the shaft (yet) but I recall when I had the HC Hzrdus Black in my Srixon Z785 driver, it was too much work for my swing, I needed the shaft to help with the loading not all me. The driver was great but the shaft was just not a good fit.

Just picked up a RDX blue, PVD finish for my driver.

I knew the Green was much softer. Your description helps. Based purely on your description, my knowledge of the shafts and throwing out all of the disclaimers my attorney brain can conjure up 😂, I would suggest either the Ventus 5 in stiff or the Smoke Blue in 5.5 tipped. My swing speed is a bit higher than yours, although not a ton, and if it were lower, I would likely fit the Smoke Blue better in 5.5. Obviously, tempo, transition, and the way each of us delivers the club head through impact affects everything, but I feel pretty confident in my recommendation. I played the Venus 5 stiff in a SpeedZone head for a while last year and I saw some very good numbers. I ultimately moved to a 6, but, honestly, the 5 worked extremely well, too.
I am another one with the Evenflow Green in 6.0, and the last time I was on a GCQuad my swing speed was just over 100mph so I have been thinking about options as I am spinning the Evenflow Green too much now and losing distance (swing speed was probably around 7-8mph slower when I originally got it a few years ago)

Sounds like the RDX Blue (or maybe Ventus Blue) could be worth looking at once I am able to get out and swing a club again?

Back