Promontory Club - Painted Valley

Dan McClellan

Reaction score
Handicap
Just to get more experience with competition, and because I love golf tournaments (but haven't been in one for over 15 years), I entered a qualifying round for the US Amateur. I live in Utah, so the rounds here will be on July 31 at a Jack Nicklaus-designed track called Painted Valley at Promontory Club, just outside of Park City. The course is just under 8,100 yards, with two par 4s over 500 yards and a 718-yard opening par 5. It looks intimidating. There's a small bit of info available on their website, and there's a review here, but I cannot find any more info than that. Has anyone played this track or know where I can find some more detailed information?

I haven't but best of luck and you'll have to keep us posted on how you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck!!

8100 yards with a bunch of water....check please!! haha

That 718 yard par 5 better be a little downhill.

I havent played any of the Promontory Courses, but I have good things about all of them. Being a Nicklaus course you can expect a real challenge.

good luck with this one!

Thanks for the encouragement! The 718 yard opener is actually a little downhill and then back up hill, from what I've gathered. It plays into the prevailing wind, as well. Yeah, I'm expecting quite a challenge, but I like a challenge. One of the closest courses to me here in Utah plays at over 7,700 yards and is into the wind more than with it, and I enjoy playing from the tips.

We got our pairings and tee times for the qualifier. There are two rounds. I tee off at 8:39 and 2:09. They also aren't playing the course at its full length. They've got about half the tees at the back, and they've moved others up. The total yardage is now 7,674, and there's even a drivable par 4. I get one free practice round the week before.

Back