Pros and Equipment Deals

gbigoose1

Reaction score
Handicap
At THP we all put such a premium on fitting, and anyone who has gone through one can tell us why. So my question is, if a professional golfer gets a full equipment deal, are they possibly hindering there game? The couple things I do know is that they are already so good, that equipment (as long as it's updated, especially in the woods) won't affect there game to much. I also know that pros can get whatever shaft they want, and that is half the battle if not more there. But, couldn't there be other clubs out there for them? A couple extra yards here and there might make a difference. Just a question that I would like to here people opinion on. I'd like to think that guys on tour would take better clubs for their game vs. more money. What do you think?

I always wondered the same. Furyk says he changed to play and test everything out there to find the best for him no matter the manufacturer. I would imagine 1 win on tour would more than offset any contract they get from a manufacturer for a long time. I know just starting out on tour it is hard and you got to get your money however it comes about and if you have to play some equipment that isn't 100% to your liking you probably would to get the money and then maybe move on after a year or two or a win. But then again I think with the pro's you are talking minuscule differences for them between different kinds of equipment probably.

I But then again I think with the pro's you are talking minuscule differences for them between different kinds of equipment probably.

That's what I was thinking too. But I'm sure there are some people that it might make the difference. I agree with you on having to take whatever you can get to start though.

I personally think each company does different things better. At that level though isnt all the gear pretty similar performance wise because of tweaks? I love what Furyk did in terms of playing what he likes best though.

Also its not that easy to win on tour these days...without a sponsor a lot of guys on tour wouldnt be able to say golf was their day job.

Thought has crossed my mind as well. This is entering the realm of "tour issue" stuff that may only be loosely related to what is actually available off the shelf. By this I mean, what the pro needs, he/she gets.

Willing to wager any major OEM can meet any given tour player's needs. As was mentioned, shafts may make the biggest difference and I bet that's where these guys grab whatever works best. Not a ton of shaft logos on bags and hats out there.

At THP we all put such a premium on fitting, and anyone who has gone through one can tell us why. So my question is, if a professional golfer gets a full equipment deal, are they possibly hindering there game? The couple things I do know is that they are already so good, that equipment (as long as it's updated, especially in the woods) won't affect there game to much. I also know that pros can get whatever shaft they want, and that is half the battle if not more there. But, couldn't there be other clubs out there for them? A couple extra yards here and there might make a difference. Just a question that I would like to here people opinion on. I'd like to think that guys on tour would take better clubs for their game vs. more money. What do you think?

I think every OEM makes equipment in different lines that will work for most anyone and the pro's are no different. Most of them could find a club from any brand that fits their game well. I don't think any brand is holding any of them back. Most of the great players would be great no matter what the name is on their bag.

Just because a player signs with a particular brand doesn't mean his bag is all that brand. Lots of players have a mixed bag. If you notice sometimes a player will have a generic head cover on his driver, that is because his bag may say Cleveland, but he's hitting a Titleist driver.

This is a good question.

Tend to agree with Griff. The skills of the tour van guys can be very useful. Do you think (for example) Adam Scott could have walked into the Titleist van with DJ's R11 driver on Sun night and said 'make me one that is exactly like this' ? Could they tweak that much?

I think every OEM makes equipment in different lines that will work for most anyone and the pro's are no different. Most of them could find a club from any brand that fits their game well. I don't think any brand is holding any of them back. Most of the great players would be great no matter what the name is on their bag.

This!
While marketing plays a huge role in our consumer decisions, every single OEM out there puts out quality stuff especially in club heads. At the highest level of fitting and swing repetition, there is not an OEM out there that cannot work almost equally for these pros in terms of clubs, balls, etc...

JB has said in the past that 14 club deals are rare. Look at GMac. He has Srixon head covers with a Cally driver under it.

I was interesting to listen to Kris Tamulis and Meredith Duncan talk about equipment. They have these ridiculous good swings and just don't really care that much. They just know what they want the ball to do and want to be given the equipment that does that for them.

Me: What shaft are you going to get in your driver Meredith?
Meredith: The red one. I told them to give me the one that makes the ball go high and really far.

I was interesting to listen to Kris Tamulis and Meredith Duncan talk about equipment. They have these ridiculous good swings and just don't really care that much. They just know what they want the ball to do and want to be given the equipment that does that for them.

Meredith: The red one. I told them to give me the one that makes the ball go high and really far.

Your face during that conversation was priceless.

There goes Hawk, dropping more knowledge on us. Great incite into the pro mind man. Thanks for posting that.

There goes Hawk, dropping more knowledge on us. Great incite into the pro mind man. Thanks for posting that.

Seriously. They just don't care about brand, etc aside from playing their sponsor's gear. I asked if I could take pics of their bags for the forums and they looked at me like I was wearing pantyhose. I had to explain to them that we are all nerds.

Seriously. They just don't care about brand, etc aside from playing their sponsor's gear. I asked if I could take pics of their bags for the forums and they looked at me like I was wearing pantyhose. I had to explain to them that we are all nerds.

I am jealous of your experiences man. We are all nerds.

I am jealous of your experiences man. We are all nerds.

I've been very fortunate thanks to some very good friends we share ;)

In our minds, we are very cool!

It's funny because they are so good that they could do so much with so little. +1 We are all Nerds!

Back