PTX Pro vs. Mavrik Irons

thewilderside

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As some of you may recall my wife recently gave me the green light to purchase some new irons. After much research I had honed in on the PTX Pros from Ben Hogan and the Z5 series from Srixon. I was fortunate enough to have a fellow THPer let me take some swings with the PTX Pros and I definitely enjoyed them. I've now demo'd them in the KBS and TT DG and decided I like the TT DG shaft better. This makes sense as I visited my local golf shop and they basically fitted my to 3* upright, 1" lengthened, and the TT DG Xstiff was my #2 shaft fit per the Mizuno fitting tool they have.

This all leads to my exploration of the Deal of the Day coupon thread discovery that Callaway golf preowned now has the Mavrik irons in. They have a set of Mavrik, 5-AW, 3* upright, 1" lengthened, in the TT DG Xstiff shaft for $700.

Long way of saying should I jump on this? Are the Mavrik similar to the PTX Pros?

Thanks in advance!

Both sets are really good irons in my opinion.
They are also VERY VERY VERY different.
Size, shape, spin, launch and distance are completely different.

Oh dear...how would you briefly describe each?

Oh dear...how would you briefly describe each?

I know this sounds like a pain, but I would read their respective threads.
No overwhelming in there, but great reviews on two very different clubs.

Aren’t the Mavrik irons cast low spin distance irons? The PTx Pros are going to be high spin forged. If you are looking at the PTx Pros because of that profile but want more distance I would recommend looking at Callaway’s Apex line.

Think the two serve different spectrums of golfers. PTX have more players look than the Mavriks. Havent hit either, but they both seem great. a lot of rave reviews for the PTX pro. Sounds like you have a lot of love for the PTX Pros and the Mavriks are in the mix because of discount. I think you should go with what you like and think the biggest successes will come with. Have you demo'd the Mavriks? Do you like the feel / forgiveness?

I know if I demo'd and enjoyed them and found a good shaft ... I am going with PTX pro assuming they worked.

This. SOOOOOOOO different.

Oh boy, my frugality biting me 🤦‍♂️ I didn't realize these were so different.

Interesting, I just took an extended lunch at the local golf shop and hit both the Mavrik and Mavrik Pro. Distance was much better with Mavrik, but considering there's a 4* difference in 7 irons between the regular and Pro that wasn't surprising. Interestingly, or maybe not surprisingly, I was consistently more on target with the Pro. The regular very much wanted to go left on me.

I'm really glad that this place exists, and that you asked here before blindly pulling the trigger.

Not all that surprised by your results today. How did you like the look and feel of the Mavrik Pro? Good middle ground?

I'm really glad that this place exists, and that you asked here before blindly pulling the trigger.

Not all that surprised by your results today. How did you like the look and feel of the Mavrik Pro? Good middle ground?
Definitely liked it. Similar profile to the PTX Pro, slightly larger in profile but not overwhelming.

The Hogan and Srixon have the v sole in which the Callaway do not. How important is that to you?

The Hogan and Srixon have the v sole in which the Callaway do not. How important is that to you?
The v-sole was part of what drew me to both of those, but after hitting the Hogans I can't say as though I really noticed a difference with it.

i’m a real big fan of the mav pro. my gir is up in a big way this year thanks to them. i don’t think you can go wrong with either set (assuming you’re off the mav and pondering the mav pro vs ptx pro).

I like the Mav Pro, but I really like Callaway and their technology. I have not hit either of them, but the fun is in demo'ing them and pulling the trigger and having no regrets. Enjoy the process.

no man should even request permission from the wife to buy anything golf-related UNLESS she is the heir to the Bezos fortune

The v-sole was part of what drew me to both of those, but after hitting the Hogans I can't say as though I really noticed a difference with it.

It wouldn't shine in a mat comparison. Actually, I think the Mav Pros would be better suited to impress indoors. I didn't love their soles in the turf for my swing, where I adore v-soles.

Interesting, I just took an extended lunch at the local golf shop and hit both the Mavrik and Mavrik Pro. Distance was much better with Mavrik, but considering there's a 4* difference in 7 irons between the regular and Pro that wasn't surprising. Interestingly, or maybe not surprisingly, I was consistently more on target with the Pro. The regular very much wanted to go left on me.

That may have been a shaft issue. The Pro generally comes with a stiffer shaft than the standard Mavrik.

If you are a 19 handicap the Mavrik might be a better fit.

It wouldn't shine in a mat comparison. Actually, I think the Mav Pros would be better suited to impress indoors. I didn't love their soles in the turf for my swing, where I adore v-soles.
This. This guy knows his stuff - and he’s fun to watch.

I've had two fittings in the past couple years. Both times were into the Srixon's and because of the turf interaction of the v-sole. I haven't bought because I don't like how shiny the Srixon's are. I completely forgot Hogan's are v-sole. May need to take a look at those. I think turf interaction is pretty important for my swing.

I have hit my buddies MAVRIK irons. They are big headed and a ton of offset. Pretty typical Callaway game improvement irons over the years. They will help you launch it high and keep it left. The PTX Pro's are more player type irons with a thinner top line and much less offset. They are going to do whatever your swing tells them to do with only offering a little help. You should be able to find a set of MAVRIK's to look at at any typical golf shop. They will all have them.

That may have been a shaft issue. The Pro generally comes with a stiffer shaft than the standard Mavrik.

If you are a 19 handicap the Mavrik might be a better fit.
Both were tested on the same elevate x-stiff shaft. They take the same shaft and just attach the club head.

This is a good point, I did hit the PTX Pros off grass at the range and on the course, and was pretty happy with the way I hit them.

I have hit my buddies MAVRIK irons. They are big headed and a ton of offset. Pretty typical Callaway game improvement irons over the years. They will help you launch it high and keep it left. The PTX Pro's are more player type irons with a thinner top line and much less offset. They are going to do whatever your swing tells them to do with only offering a little help. You should be able to find a set of MAVRIK's to look at at any typical golf shop. They will all have them.
Oh absolutely, the regular Mavriks were quite large compared side by side with the PTX Pros. Even the Mavrik Pros were a little larger than the PTX Pros.

Back