Public Service Reminder: THE SUN DOES NOT LIKE YOU!

Constant battle after I turned 50, the damage is there from early on sunburns and will just keep surfacing with age and sun exposure. So far 5 spots removed with surgery and dozens frozen at the office.

Cover up and use 100 sunscreen, it will pay when you get older.

Don’t you wish we could go back and tell our younger self’s to be smart. I have had a couple places removed and am sure others will show up.
The days of water skiing all day, golfing all day etc without sun protection are catching up to me now. My son and his friends call me a sun block nazi and I told them they will thank me later on in life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear your ok. I need to continue to remind myself to protect my bald dome.

Don’t you wish we could go back and tell our younger self’s to be smart. I have had a couple places removed and am sure others will show up.
The days of water skiing all day, golfing all day etc without sun protection are catching up to me now. My son and his friends call me a sun block nazi and I told them they will thank me later on in life

yeah it is tough now to go to the doc every 6 months and see what will be cut off, I spent 25 years as a Commercial Fisherman and never even thought of sunscreen. It is payback time now......we who wear the bucket or Aussie style hats may look different and not so cool but any help at this point is important.

As an Aussie, we saw a lot of this back home. Unfortunately we'll continue to see it , because young, dumb and ....you know the rest. I never wore a hat either and have only taken to wearing one in the last 12 months.

BTW, this is what I rock now.

golf hat.jpg

yeah it is tough now to go to the doc every 6 months and see what will be cut off, I spent 25 years as a Commercial Fisherman and never even thought of sunscreen. It is payback time now......we who wear the bucket or Aussie style hats may look different and not so cool but any help at this point is important.
I go with a big ol' brimmed hat. Used to wear a woman's gardening hat (with a sweet lavender brim edge), but my mom in law said it made her mad, so she got me a different one. I've been tempted to get one of those Asian conical hats as well.

I am not trying to gross anybody out, nor gain sympathy. After a lifetime spent getting too much sun, I continue to pay the price. This is the 15th or 16th time I have gone through this. Please protect yourself from the sun while you are young. Once the damage is done to your skin, you can never go back. BTW, it’s all good for me. The doctor gave me a clean bill of health.

View attachment 8917678View attachment 8917679

I assume that is Moh's surgery - my second was a month ago and looked similar but on my left temple. About 4 years ago, I had my first - below the sideburns just in front of the ear.

Sunscreen, everyone and consider a bucket hat - I wear 'em now.

Get to a dermatologist once a year - you will thank yourself.

This scares the heck out of me. I'm glad you're okay, and I hope I didn't start paying attention to things like this too late in life.

In 2005 mom nagged me to go see the dermatologist about a mole on my face. She wouldn’t quit, so I went. Doc looked at it for 3 seconds and said “let’s take that off,” so I’m thinking he’s gonna have me schedule an appointment but he just up and did it, right then.

It was melanoma. Thankfully only stage 1 - 0.73mm deep in my skin. There was some debate about whether to open up my face, chin and neck and check my lymph nodes. The oncologist wanted to, the surgeons didn’t - they were concerned about nerve damage from the surgery that would leave me drooling for the rest of my life.

After reviewing some data re: prognosis if melanoma gets in the lymph nodes, we decided against the surgery since it didn’t appear that treatment would be helpful if it WAS found.

14 years later I’m still here so apparently it didn’t get into my system. I see the dermo twice a year and he cuts off anything that looks funky. I’ve lost count... at least a dozen moles removed... scars everywhere.

Wow, glad they caught it and were able to remove it. Here's to hoping that's the last of it!! As someone with terribly fair Irish skin I have to use sun screen as I burn on a cloudy day. I had some really bad burns as a child and learned my lesson quick

My wife who is fair red headed Irish went to the dermo for the first time last year. Had 3 nasal cells cut off including one on her face. I have told her for years to wear sunscreen and avoid the sun. She never listened to me. She does now after getting her face cut on. Luckily I have decent melanin (thanks French ancestors) so I don’t have to worry too much about it but I will use SPF 100 every time I go out: mainly due to vanity but I do not want to get stuff cut off. Especially my face.

I am not trying to gross anybody out, nor gain sympathy. After a lifetime spent getting too much sun, I continue to pay the price. This is the 15th or 16th time I have gone through this. Please protect yourself from the sun while you are young. Once the damage is done to your skin, you can never go back. BTW, it’s all good for me. The doctor gave me a clean bill of health.

View attachment 8917678View attachment 8917679
That does not look good to me.... but glad to hear all is good with you!

Yep, its real. I have had 3 removed, 2 cancerous and those were able to taken care of. I lost a uncle and wife’s stepdad to melanoma within a month of each other. I am adamant about sunscreen. I just struggle with hats. But im getting better.

Old thread but … during my annual end-of-summer visit to the dermatologist today, had one spot cut off and about a dozen spots frozen off. Thankful that none appear to be of any real concern.

As a survivor of a serious melanoma scare — surgery at Mayo Clinic and all sorts of follow-ups, etc. — I implore everyone to see a dermatologist annually. An hour out of your year could, literally, be a life-saving event.

Good reminder and good bump @Puttmaster . Glad you're alright. I am overdue for this particular visit and need to get in it as I'm out in the sun pretty much anytime I'm not in my truck. I know way too many family and friends with holes and scars like the poor OP.

Yep had something like that .. BCC removed , you don’t need sun to have damage caused , UV rays give you damage also , over exposure .

Over here , we had campaigns for years Slip Slop Slap ,,, slip on a shirt slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat . Can never be to covered up, like you played lots of outdoor sports and work from early 30s onward outside .
We have mole maps done also …

Glad you got it early keep protected and play well )

More is better than less when applying sunblock. The reality is, even if you're very protective and do everything right you can still get melanoma. Make sure you also take care of those around you whether your kids or just other people you are with. We could all be better, maybe offer your playing partners a spray of your sun screen as a friendly reminder.

great word of warning! and glad you are OK

to those in your 20 and 30's it starts here. You likely won't see your result until your in your mid 50's +

I've been uber protective of my skin for last 20 years but what I did in my teens and 20's has done damage to me as well. so far, everythign is correctable but like golf, sometimes you get more then you deserve and other times less

Glad you are okay, been there done that, permanently wearing the scar from it. When I was 19, I found a place on my neck that was stage 1 Melanoma. I have checkups every 6 months, and probably will have to for the rest of my life. :( Every single time, they take precautionary samples, 3 more a week ago. (n)

More is better than less when applying sunblock. The reality is, even if you're very protective and do everything right you can still get melanoma. Make sure you also take care of those around you whether your kids or just other people you are with. We could all be better, maybe offer your playing partners a spray of your sun screen as a friendly reminder.
Or just give them a spray ! Lol ( over here , giving someone a spray is vernacular for , a roast / insult etc ) lol

Wow, glad they caught it and were able to remove it. Here's to hoping that's the last of it!! As someone with terribly fair Irish skin I have to use sun screen as I burn on a cloudy day. I had some really bad burns as a child and learned my lesson quick

Sounds like my buddy, who I'm playing golf with tomorrow. He is of Irish descent, and so fair skinned that I used to tease him that he needed to get some sun just to neutralize the blue! Anyway, he had a small bout with skin cancer, got it fixed, and is fine. But, he puts on this sunscreen that won't let his skin breathe. He really suffers in hot weather. But, in our late 60's, and with creaky knees, we are confirmed cart riders, so it's easier to hunt shade. I went and found some Neutrogena 100 SPF sunscreen, have sun sleeves in the bag, always wear a hat, and bought a couple pair of the really nice, moisture wicking golf slacks, to keep the sun off my legs. So far, so good!

Back