Puring Shafts - Thoughts?

KCSmitty

Reaction score
Handicap
All of it.
Got on the discussion with another THP'er about puring. I noticed there has been some threads in the past on the subject but they are several years old and we all know what a couple years can do in the industry.

So I recently wondered into a new CC (Club Champion) that has opened in my area. I have never been professionally fitted and for that matter owned new irons. I went in pretending to know very little, shared some of my knowledge and kinda asked for the "Dog and Pony show". One of the items they "upsell" is puring, I was stumped, did know what it meant.

After doing some reading, Is puring worth the $$$? Exotic shaft vs OEM and for anyone that has done it. Why?

Last edited:
My take on it has not changed much.
It will never hurt to have it done. It could also help mentally quite a bit.
Hitting them side by side, I didn't see a change in numbers. Some did, some didn't.

Most people say no. A few say yes. There isn't a way to confirm without hitting a club and then having it pured before hitting it again. That's not something the individual Club Champion locations can do (or most can't) as they do their puring elsewhere during the build process.

I agree with JB. It will not hurt anything (other than your wallet). But it will not help anything either, at least not for the vast majority of us..

Seems like a ridiculous way for companies to get money from your wallet. I believe we were told by @DB TT at one point it was completely unecessary

Seems like a ridiculous way for companies to get money from your wallet. I believe we were told by @DB TT at one point it was completely unecessary

Going to believe he know his stuff!! (y)

For me, since I suck at golf, it's full on placebo effect. Count me in if my confidence goes up.

For me, since I suck at golf, it's full on placebo effect. Count me in if my confidence goes up.
Good way to think of it. As golferes we spend a ton of money just for a confidence boost.

I just had an interesting experience at my local Club Champion regarding this exact question and a request to build my new 4i. The fitters there really, really believe in it. I am not sure I am as sold, especially in iron shafts.

I know CC has been big into it, but I'm not sold on it as a necessity.

Were it offered for free for whatever reason, I'd have no problems getting it done.
Would you pay to have the shafts pured if you were having a set built?

Its a $30 per shaft upcharge if you do it through CC no matter what the cost of the shafts. With driver shafts, they throw puring in for free.

The benefit of puring really is relative to the shaft and how far out of "round" for lack of a better term the shaft is. If a shaft is pretty close, then puring will only gain you a fraction of benefit. If you have a shaft that is all over the place depending on rotation, they you will see a larger benefit club to club.

I have some puring documentation from when they tried to upsell me if anyone wants me to post it.

My experience with it would be it held more credibility about 8 - 10 years ago. When I would build clubs, I used to perform this regularly. The technologies used and the tolerances of the shafts weren't as good as they are now. When a shaft was "pured" it would provide more consistent results. Now with the improvements in shaft technologies and manufacturing processes, having a shaft pured may not provide much benefit other than what was already stated. If it adds confidence to the user, then by all means, it would be worth the step to have it done.

Would you pay to have the shafts pured if you were having a set built?
Very, very unlikely.

I'm just not that worried about it, honestly. I have big respect and high expectations for the products I use.

I don't know the tech details of puring....but what I can say is this: I had a club put through puring and it was explained to me that there is a strong orientation and a soft one.

When I was first given the club, it was in the strong orientation and I could hardly hit it. I brought it back to the builder and he told me he re-oriented it to the "weak" side. I had no issue hitting it after that.

I don't claim to know the details of why this worked for me, but it did. This simply lead me to believe that the overall concept of shaft orientation and puring is a real thing.

Now, having said that.....do I get my club shafts pured.....no.

Very, very unlikely.

I'm just not that worried about it, honestly. I have big respect and high expectations for the products I use.
I find that a bit interesting, not because I have a different opinion to yours, but because as I understand the benefit claims, someone like yourself you see the most improvement (i.e. giving an already excellent player less uncontrolled variables).

I find that a bit interesting, not because I have a different opinion to yours, but because as I understand the benefit claims, someone like yourself you see the most improvement (i.e. giving an already excellent player less uncontrolled variables).
It would surprise most to know that I don't even swing weight my clubs. They are what they are.

For me, change is too frequent to make that kind of investment.

Would puring effect steel or graphite more, less or the same?

Would puring effect steel or graphite more, less or the same?
Which leads to an interesting question with graphite shafts...does puring mean that the label on the iron shafts will be in different positions on each club? I believe it does from what I learned today.

I have Pured and Frequency Matched my Graphite shafts including the Driver. It makes a huge Difference.

But with the Adjustable tipped Driver and Woods Shafts you have to test them and make sure that you are playing the correct loft for your game before you Pure or Frequency Match them. Because they are Pured in the direction of the strokes direction of hitting the ball.

Not much of a price to pay for a huge Improvement in the performance of your clubs.

For your Irons, which I also had Pured and Frequency matched once they are glued in place you are good. Unless you're planning on pulling them off to place in another head.

Then you have to pure them again.

:drinks:

I know CC has been big into it, but I'm not sold on it as a necessity.

Were it offered for free for whatever reason, I'd have no problems getting it done.
This.

I'm sure as heck not paying for it, I don't really buy into it at all, but if it was done for free, why not?

I decided to not get htem done on my Obans because everywhere I have read, they come right from the manufacturing process pretty consistent. They are extruded vs seam welded which doesn't give you near as much variantion in bend profiled around the shaft rotation.

They pured 3 of my CT125's just as a way to show the benefit, and the results were interesting. Per the sheet, the 3 irons ( 4i, 5i, 6i )each were within 98% of true with no adjustment. Take a look below. Mind you I didn't pay for this but they did it I think as a standard way to upsell. Kind of backfired in this case as it proved my point. This below is on the 5i. From my reading, anything above a .96 you really aren't going to tell a whole lot of difference. 100 means perfectly round and straight.

1580330800556.png

For your Irons, which I also had Pured and Frequency matched once they are glued in place you are good. Unless you're planning on pulling them off to place in another head.

Then you have to pure them again.

:drinks:

You shouldn;t have to pure them again assuming you've marked the pure point to align with head alignment.

i'm surprised someone like txg hasn't done a video on this (maybe they have and I missed it). they could build two entirely identical sets. same head weight. same shaft. same grip. same swing weight. same l/l/l. one pured, one not. then give to matt the robot and see if there is any discernible difference.

the only thing I've experienced with a pured shaft is that it felt tighter/stiffer through the swing. might be a placebo effect, though. but that's honestly the only takeaway I ever had in all the clubs I have played/modified that were pured.

Back