Puring Shafts - Thoughts?

Seems like a ridiculous way for companies to get money from your wallet. I believe we were told by @DB TT at one point it was completely unecessary
This solves the it for me

Needless to say, with my game and the overall cost, it likely won't happen.

.....it could be the factor that takes you over the top beating Randy @PETE379 this year!

To me it is like chicken soup: it doesn't hurt. That being said for the average golfer not sure how much of a difference it makes. Also to note that if one pures shafts the logos on the shafts can be in all different locations depending on the spine. Not a fan of that look.

If @DB TT says its dumb, its dumb.

I may be paraphrasing.

If I was getting paid to play, I’d do it. As a consumer, I’m not going to seek it out, though I’m not necessarily against it.

But I’d also make sure they did so before putting the shaft bands on. Whatever it might save or help me even mentally, would be destroyed if the shaft bands are all over the place.

Honestly never knew about puring and had to research it. Interesting process but not something I would ever consider. If offered for free, sure why not!

But now I have an excuse when my shot is offline:

Partner: "Wow, you really pushed that shot!"
Me: "Happens all the time with my 9i, I just need to get that shaft pured!"

Can someone give me an ELI5 on puring a golf shaft? I also heard this term during my CC fitting about a year ago and all I basically got from it was that the shafts would be more consistent. What do they actually do to the clubs to make them more consistent and does the consistency have to do with making the clubs all uniform for flex or is there more to it?

Never even considered it

.....it could be the factor that takes you over the top beating Randy @PETE379 this year!

HAHAHA... Nope! But Ill sure the heck have a few of those Summer Breezes!

Honestly never knew about puring and had to research it. Interesting process but not something I would ever consider. If offered for free, sure why not!

But now I have an excuse when my shot is offline:

Partner: "Wow, you really pushed that shot!"
Me: "Happens all the time with my 9i, I just need to get that shaft pured!"
:cool: exactly! Same boat. Last thing Im concerned with is that.

Can someone give me an ELI5 on puring a golf shaft? I also heard this term during my CC fitting about a year ago and all I basically got from it was that the shafts would be more consistent. What do they actually do to the clubs to make them more consistent and does the consistency have to do with making the clubs all uniform for flex or is there more to it?

I had to watch a few YouTube videos. To me its seems to deal where the club is seamed causing imperfection through out the spline. They use a machine that looks to "tweak" the shaft until its perfectly balanced.

Probably completely roasted that explanation...

I had to watch a few YouTube videos. To me its seems to deal where the club is seamed causing imperfection through out the spline. They use a machine that looks to "tweak" the shaft until its perfectly balanced.

Probably completely roasted that explanation...

So it's basically shaving down the imperfections on the shaft until it is balanced throughout? Kind of like sanding a piece of wood work?

So it's basically shaving down the imperfections on the shaft until it is balanced throughout? Kind of like sanding a piece of wood work?
I don’t think they modify the shaft (I might be wrong). I think the process is intended only to determine the best way to position the club face when building the club . If I’m understanding it correctly, it’s a very precise way of determining “flat line oscillation”. Hopefully, someone will correct me if that’s wrong.
The question is whether it’s worth the $25 for something that might - or might not - make a minimal improvement.
For someone like me, I can’t imagine it would have an impact.

Nothing is removed. Just "identified" I guess...

Nothing is shaved. The shaft isn't changed. The only thing that is identified is the point int he shaft orientation ( think 360 degrees around the shaft ) in which the bend profile/frequency/etc is the most consistent along the length of the shaft. They then mark that spot so the club builder knows how to orient the head against that "pure mark" so you get the most consistent/efficient reaction of the shaft. At least I think that's how I would summarize my understanding of it.

This is an interesting topic, and initially I would have said absolutely no chance, Emperor's new clothes and all that. But when I was fitted for my Epic Flash, I was having real troubles with a leaky right ball flight. The fitter is someone who can actually do the puring on site (SGGT in Edinburgh) and he took the shaft away, came back 15 mins later and I was hitting straight bombs one after another. Did he actually do anything except give me a placebo? I don't know, but the results seems to bear it out. It was included in the cost of the club build, but would I pay to get it done to any of my other clubs? Probably not....

Ahhh, thanks for the responses--it makes a lot more sense in my head now. That's really interesting, it seems like something that should be standard if someone is having their clubs built vs. getting them off the rack.

If I was getting paid to play, I’d do it. As a consumer, I’m not going to seek it out, though I’m not necessarily against it.

But I’d also make sure they did so before putting the shaft bands on. Whatever it might save or help me even mentally, would be destroyed if the shaft bands are all over the place.
The shafts band on mine all line up. Maybe it was just a Placebo effect. But I honestly could swear I thought I could tell the difference. The Hooks looked some much prettier when my Clubs were Pured:quiet:

Here is a Real life Blind Testing and the Results.

Less than 1.0% different increased Distance in Pured Driver Shafts versus UnPured Driver Shafts.

No Statistical difference in Dispersion.

No Statistical difference in Feel, although some players could identify correctly which shafts had been Pured. But they are not the majority.

Yep, I'm with @Canadan and @Jman on this (keeping good company!). If it were free, then yes otherwise I'd have to miss out on it. I certainly don't think with my current golf game that having my shafts done would make much/if any difference.

So I watched a presentation by the club champ guy discussing diff between spine align and puring. 95% of the vid was puring and 5% was saying puring is better. My guess is that spin align and puring come up with the same point of alignment 99% of time. and puring is 3 to 4 times the cost with the upsell....

Here is a Real life Blind Testing and the Results.

Less than 1.0% different increased Distance in Pured Driver Shafts versus UnPured Driver Shafts.

No Statistical difference in Dispersion.

No Statistical difference in Feel, although some players could identify correctly which shafts had been Pured. But they are not the majority.

Bit disagreeing with the results but since it was an average cross a range of swing types and speeds, I would have liked to also seen the numbers broken out by swing speed categories, just to take a peak at hte data. My theory would be that if you graded it in 10 mph increments, the lower swing speeds would have seen less impact while the higher swing speed might have seen slightly more. Just a hypothesis mind you and even then, it's not enough to quantify that it is in fact a benefit to do at the current costs. Just curiousity. ;)

To respond to any shaft company person saying that PURE is irrelevant, while not trying to be argumentative, but I would imagine anyone who works for a shaft company would not be anxious to endorse a process that “could” introduce evidence that their product has any type of imperfection in it. I have had all of my shafts PUREd and I have some that are really off from the screened on graphics (Nippon Modus 120, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue, and Project X LZ) along with wood shafts (Oban Kiyoshi and Fujikura Ventus). I can’t tell on my Oban iron shafts since the stickers were applied after the process was completed. We offer the service and I can say that I have seen the logos all over the place after having them PUREd. With all of that being said, I don’t try to push it on anyone, my thought is if you want it done, great, but I’m not going to say you are missing out if you skip it.

I opted to not have my new irons pured. I need to keep all possible excuses for my bad shots on the table.

Back