Puring Shafts - Thoughts?

I decided to not get htem done on my Obans because everywhere I have read, they come right from the manufacturing process pretty consistent. They are extruded vs seam welded which doesn't give you near as much variantion in bend profiled around the shaft rotation.

They pured 3 of my CT125's just as a way to show the benefit, and the results were interesting. Per the sheet, the 3 irons ( 4i, 5i, 6i )each were within 98% of true with no adjustment. Take a look below. Mind you I didn't pay for this but they did it I think as a standard way to upsell. Kind of backfired in this case as it proved my point. This below is on the 5i. From my reading, anything above a .96 you really aren't going to tell a whole lot of difference. 100 means perfectly round and straight.

View attachment 8925509
I plan on asking Danny Le a few questions about this at the Distance Bash and try to learn more about it.

Its a $30 per shaft upcharge if you do it through CC no matter what the cost of the shafts. With driver shafts, they throw puring in for free.

The benefit of puring really is relative to the shaft and how far out of "round" for lack of a better term the shaft is. If a shaft is pretty close, then puring will only gain you a fraction of benefit. If you have a shaft that is all over the place depending on rotation, they you will see a larger benefit club to club.

I have some puring documentation from when they tried to upsell me if anyone wants me to post it.

In todays market, are any "named brand" or "popular" shaft that out-of-round?

In todays market, are any "named brand" or "popular" shaft that out-of-round?
That is a great question, and makes me think about what happens during play. Do steel shafts become slightly deformed or bent after some period of play? What if I make an awful swing and chunk one or two shots really hard? or what if I bang my club in frustration? Will any of these acts cause more variance in the shaft than what was initially present as a result of manufacturing tolerances? My point being, for this to be truly and demonstrably effective, wouldn't the shafts have to be "re-pured" from time to time?

That's great info right there, @Tevenor! Thanks for sharing it.
Figured lets talk results/test outputs instead of arbitrary "feelings" on puring. What I am trying to find is an example of a "bad shaft" to compare to what I had done. I can also post my driver shaft measurements if someone wants to see that as part of the dsicussion.

My net/net so far on puring is that from a Mech Eng background perspective, I get the science and technology around it and yes, it should make a difference. But the difference is going to get masked if you aren't a pure striker ( no pun intended ) of the ball where you are so consistent that the variance in the shaft would be significant in comparison to the variance delivered by the swing. In other words, most peoples swings are so inconsistent that any benefit from the slight bit of more consistency delivered in the puring of the shaft is absorbed in the background noise of a crap swing.

I plan on asking Danny Le a few questions about this at the Distance Bash and try to learn more about it.

Report back!

That's a good call. Be an interesting topic over drinks.....from the winning Villa.....that is. :)

I decided to not get htem done on my Obans because everywhere I have read, they come right from the manufacturing process pretty consistent. They are extruded vs seam welded which doesn't give you near as much variantion in bend profiled around the shaft rotation.

They pured 3 of my CT125's just as a way to show the benefit, and the results were interesting. Per the sheet, the 3 irons ( 4i, 5i, 6i )each were within 98% of true with no adjustment. Take a look below. Mind you I didn't pay for this but they did it I think as a standard way to upsell. Kind of backfired in this case as it proved my point. This below is on the 5i. From my reading, anything above a .96 you really aren't going to tell a whole lot of difference. 100 means perfectly round and straight.

View attachment 8925509

Not all shafts are created equal. This is from my GW. Is it something that helped me? I have no idea. I doubt I’d have noticed if it wasn’t Pured but I figured it wouldn’t hurt. For the $ I spent another $180 wasn’t a huge deal. FWIW, a couple of the shafts didn’t need any adjustments and the rest were off but not nearly as bad as this one

76955C07-1EAB-414E-8558-497D63EE75D2.jpegBBFC4BBA-A3E6-4123-9530-C99EAD987839.jpeg

I had never heard the word pure....I had heard and had done spine align. Are those two things the same?

Last edited:
Is it more an instance nowadays of shaft manufacturers saying it isn't necessary vs. club builders saying you should do it.

I want to side with the shaft manufacturers on this one.

But if it were a free service? Yeah I would get it done.

I get why many of you are saying that if it was free, you would get it done. But doesn't that imply that it has no value to you? I'm not trying to parse words here, I am genuinely curious.

I get why many of you are saying that if it was free, you would get it done. But doesn't that imply that it has no value to you? I'm not trying to parse words here, I am genuinely curious.

If it was $10 per club, I would have pulled the trigger. $30 bucks each didn't tip my value prop considering how many shafts I had to do.

Its a $30 per shaft upcharge if you do it through CC no matter what the cost of the shafts. With driver shafts, they throw puring in for free.

The benefit of puring really is relative to the shaft and how far out of "round" for lack of a better term the shaft is. If a shaft is pretty close, then puring will only gain you a fraction of benefit. If you have a shaft that is all over the place depending on rotation, they you will see a larger benefit club to club.

I have some puring documentation from when they tried to upsell me if anyone wants me to post it.
Please post :drinks:

Sorry my internet had not updated my screen :drinks:

I have some clubs in my collection with pured shafts.
Henry-Griffitts metalwoods for example.
I think that I hit them well because of the fitted lie and face angles more than for the puring;
but you don't choose me to decide these things.

Iron Byron's swing is a tad more repeatable than mine.

That is a great question, and makes me think about what happens during play. Do steel shafts become slightly deformed or bent after some period of play? What if I make an awful swing and chunk one or two shots really hard? or what if I bang my club in frustration? Will any of these acts cause more variance in the shaft than what was initially present as a result of manufacturing tolerances? My point being, for this to be truly and demonstrably effective, wouldn't the shafts have to be "re-pured" from time to time?
Just don't bend your clubs in a too HappY mood :drinks:

I asked him at the shaft event I attended and he said no to purring. But I believe he was speaking for UST products & not for everyone.
That was my expectation, which I wanted to confirm since it was a Recoil shaft that I was being pushed to pure today.

Not all shafts are created equal. This is from my GW. Is it something that helped me? I have no idea. I doubt I’d have noticed if it wasn’t Pured but I figured it wouldn’t hurt. For the $ I spent another $180 wasn’t a huge deal. FWIW, a couple of the shafts didn’t need any adjustments and the rest were off but not nearly as bad as this one

View attachment 8925513View attachment 8925514
B2596FE6-EFD6-4EEA-838C-7A7982BBAD63.jpeg

I need to learn more about the techy things! I like pretty things.

I asked him at the shaft event I attended and he said no to puring. But I believe he was speaking for UST products & not for everyone.

That makes sense. I would expect an exotic to be more pure.

My take on it has not changed much.
It will never hurt to have it done. It could also help mentally quite a bit.
Hitting them side by side, I didn't see a change in numbers. Some did, some didn't.

Agree with JB... it happens once in a while :)

If you are OCD, and it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, do it.

I've had it done ... a long time ago in Aerotechs. Don't think it needed it. I think aftermarket shafts have improved to the extent that it's not necessary -- or at least my clubmaker friend told me so ... as to good graphite. As to DG? I'd probably do it. Do they pure for steel? I've only had it done for graphite driver shafts and a set of irons.

Needless to say, with my game and the overall cost, it likely won't happen.

I talking with a highly recommended custom club builder about some fairway woods and asked him his opinion. Basically told me it was a waste of time. I am not going to worry about it myself.

I’ve had many pured shafts before both in irons and in woods. Way back when I was building my own clubs I used to order my driver and FW shafts pured from Golfsmith for something like $8 per shaft. My take on puring is this - other things like wind, uneven lies, swing variability, and turf conditions are all much, much bigger factors on how close my shot finishes to its target than whether or not the shaft is pured. I would not pay extra for it when ordering a set of irons and I change the loft on my driver often depending upon conditions and obviously puring won’t work if I’m constantly changing shaft orientation.

Back