Push cart at country club

It is another stigma. For a long time pushcarts where frowned upon, now not so much unless at a private club.

So a colleague asked me to play golf at his private club. Due COVID, they are not allowing driving carts. Is it wierd if I bring my push cart? He is going to walk and carry.
Nope - use it 100%. Very common at clubs around here and using your own is safer than the clubs.

I’d just ask. Start with who invited you and if he doesn’t know, call the course.

Two reasons:
  • Many private clubs do not want any other activity in the parking lot other than parking a car. Fumbling with a push cart in the lot is the equivalent of changing shoes in the lot instead of the locker room
  • Revenue
In the current situation I think the second one takes precedent over the first. The first is normally in place at my club (for the most part) but they actually don’t want anyone near the buildings now so they are advocating for it. The revenue is the key thing so they can keep full staff

It is another stigma. For a long time pushcarts where frowned upon, now not so much unless at a private club.
It is something. I see more walkers pushing a cart vs carrying now. It wasn't all that long ago where that was reversed. Even young highschool and college golfers seem to be using them in casual play.

I've haven't played many rounds at a private club so I'm not expert but I don't see the big deal. In fact during these times I'd rather have my own then rent anything.

I can understand the revenue part, rent the push cart from us. How dare someone get a push cart out of the car in the parking lot. So tacky!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
There are a couple of CCs I play at that don’t even want you to get golf clubs in and out of your car. You drive to the club drop off area and pick up from there too and someone will unload and load them. They are very strict about it and members will be reprimanded if guests don’t follow that rule and carry bags in the lot. Welcome to the world of old money, super elite country clubs.

Any courses that are open around here are NOT renting their supply of pull carts for obvious reasons. Bring your own or carry.
I would be surprised if any clubs are allowing caddies, either. Unless he’s tossing your $500 driver to you, you can’t be socially distant.
Clubs need to be a bit flexible in their policies these days. If clubhouses are closed, you can’t change your shoes in locker room, so it’s the parking lot (shame!!!).

So a colleague asked me to play golf at his private club. Due COVID, they are not allowing driving carts. Is it wierd if I bring my push cart? He is going to walk and carry.
It's worth the ask in my opinion.

Our course has push carts to rent but you can't bring your own (which sucks a lot).

It's worth the ask in my opinion.

Our course has push carts to rent but you can't bring your own (which sucks a lot).
Are they at least decent push carts?

A club I used to belong to required push carts to stay on cart path when they invoked cart path only for the electric golf carts. It was ridiculous. One of the reasons I quit that club. The cart paths were laid out assuming motorized carts not push carts.

I enjoy walking with a push cart.

That’s a fun track. Incredible back story. If it’s the one in Ohio I’m thinking of. I got on to play it back in 2000. Tons of flowers and trees. Reminds me of Augusta with the amount of flowers they had around greens and tees and stuff. Beautiful. Men only with a membership that’s passed down through the family. Membership waiting list is like 35 years or something. Crazy. Only like 150 members with only like 75 actively playing golf. Saturday is the day I played and we didn’t see another group. I shot a great score for my 19 year old self at a 7 handicap I shot 75 from the tips. Next day I got on Firestone and the day before I played Wooster country club. What a trip. We were taken around by a business owner with deep connections who doesn’t play golf. Lol. I really miss rolling with the rich and powerful. Now I’m poor and don’t play private tracks lol.
But to your question- call and ask. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a couple of CCs I play at that don’t even want you to get golf clubs in and out of your car. You drive to the club drop off area and pick up from there too and someone will unload and load them. They are very strict about it and members will be reprimanded if guests don’t follow that rule and carry bags in the lot. Welcome to the world of old money, super elite country clubs.

I would not fit in well with that kind of culture. I'm all for norms within reason, but that's too much. Even at a place like the Yellowstone Club, one of the most wealthy, exclusive get away places on the planet, they don't go that far. But they do have things like people in restrooms to hand you a linen towel and such. I will never get used to that. Of course I was always there for show and tell about Yellowstone science and nature topics. I was never mistaken for a member.

Sun Mountain.

...so yeah, but like anything else that's used hundreds of times, they wear down.
I want to say that I have seen a different style cart from Clic Gear I think? One that didn't fold down. Designed for a cart fleet I suppose. I have never rented one, but when I came across them, they looked pretty beat up. Our club has some rentals, and they look to be that same style. But, they are in very tough shape. Thankfully, they do not restrict members from using their own. But, it's not exactly a high end club either. They even sell Busch Light pounders. My kind of place :cool:

I want to say that I have seen a different style cart from Clic Gear I think? One that didn't fold down. Designed for a cart fleet I suppose. I have never rented one, but when I came across them, they looked pretty beat up. Our club has some rentals, and they look to be that same style. But, they are in very tough shape. Thankfully, they do not restrict members from using their own. But, it's not exactly a high end club either. They even sell Busch Light pounders. My kind of place :cool:
Yeah, there's no good way to defend a push cart when it's being rented once or twice a day for years. It's inevitably going to take the brunt of the wear and tear.

The high end private clubs often have caddies, so members may hire a caddie or carry their own bag, but push carts are forbidden.
Caddie programs around here have been suspended.

The high end private clubs often have caddies, so members may hire a caddie or carry their own bag, but push carts are forbidden.
I'm all for caddies. Think is a great thing to have at a club.

Man I don't need old money, any money would do just fine!

Most private courses I have played have had members with carts. Just don't show up with some caddyshack-looking thing and I think you will be alright.

Many of the private clubs in the Albany area that I have played do not allow push carts. Most however do allow you to carry your own clubs.

Id bring it and when they tell you can’t use it. Just tell them you were thinking of joining and say thanks but no thanks.

Id bring it and when they tell you can’t use it. Just tell them you were thinking of joining and say thanks but no thanks.
Initiation fee is not even a remote possibility for me! haha

Back