Put on your Steve Stricker cap

Parrot

Down to the banana republics . . .
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What do you tell Phil, Kis, Bubba, or Rickie, or anyone else that you think might be a dark horse for a captain's pick, they have to do at the 3M, WGC-FedEx St. Jude, Wyndham and into the first two events of the playoffs?

If Rickie wins twice, is that enough of a streak to get a spot? Phil has a top 10 and doesn't finish out of the top 20? Kis or Bubba gets a win and a couple of top 10s?

I don't think Rickie has a chance of being on this years team unfortunately unless he is coming in hot. I'd take Kis all day over him. I'd tell Phil I need you and your experience out there get your **** together like you did at the PGA.

I'd take Kisner & flip a coin between Bubba & Phil. Either one is due for a big number somewhere but it's only one hole. Rickie, not a chance.

I think that this is really a question of "What to do about Phil?". To that, I don't know the answer.

But how many picks is Stricker really going to have to think about?

As far as the others, I think Stricker needs to consider past experience in President's Cup or Ryder Cup along with season and current form. Of course going on a hot streak over the remainder of the season will help.

how many picks is Stricker really going to have to think about?
Considering these guys, I would be down to the last pick. My first 5 picks would be (as of today): Spieth, English, Cantlay, Berger and Kokrak. Reed, Finau and Simpson have been on a cool spell. As you said, we need someone on a heater.

Rickie isn't on this team. Not happening. Great guy, but his game is no where near where it needs to be for this event.

Right now the qualifiers are:

Morikawa (lock)
DJ (lock)
BDC (lock)
Koepka (Lock)
Thomas (pretty much a lock)
Shauffele

Spieth is right behind Shauffele and could work his way into it. After him

Reed
English
Cantlay
Berger
Finau
Simpson

Personally.... As much of a douche as I think he is, if you can find a teammate for him for the team matches you have to take Reed. Spieth is a no brainer, as is Cantlay. After that I probably take Berger, Finau and Simpson. But that is just going off the top of my head.

If you take Phil, it is simply because you think he is going to be good for morale as I wouldn't play him more than twice during the week.

Considering these guys, I would be down to the last pick. My first 5 picks would be (as of today): Spieth, English, Cantlay, Berger and Kokrak. Reed, Finau and Simpson have been on a cool spell. As you said, we need someone on a heater.

Spieth, Cantlay and Reed are the easy ones IMO. The remaining 3 are the real tough decisions for Stricker. And there still is the old guy who won a Major recently>

Speith is hot so I take him in a heartbeat, Reed would be there just because he will be good for the crowds and can get hot. Cantlay would be my 3rd choice, seems like he would be a good fit.

there still is the old guy who won a Major recently

He has the experience but, other than catching lightning in a bottle, his form has been very mediocre this year to be kind. Other than the PGA, his best finish is T21. Since the PGA, his best finish is T61. He's got to finish strong.

if you can find a teammate for him for the team matches you have to take Reed. Spieth is a no brainer, as is Cantlay. After that I probably take Berger, Finau and Simpson.
It's a tough call on Reed. Does his experience overcome some average from? Right now, I'd take Finau or Simpson over him.

What are your thoughts on Kokrak?

He has the experience but, other than catching lightning in a bottle, his form has been very mediocre this year to be kind. Other than the PGA, his best finish is T21. Since the PGA, his best finish is T61. He's got to finish strong.

His Ryder Cup record is less than stellar too. And it's not as if a team loaded with top 10 players in the world and with major champions really need a veteran presence not named Woods.

How many first timers do you want on this team? Berger has been on a Presidents cup but not a Ryder cup if I recall. Kokrak and English are both virgins to this as is Morikawa. Personally I think you want to limit it to 3 rookies just because it is is such a big experience. On US soil I am taking Reed every singe time as long as one/two players agrees they can play with him. Which is why I think of Simpson or Finau.... Or maybe Bryson plays with him?

Teams I speculate

DJ/Koepka
Spieth/Thomas
Morikawa?
Shaufelle/Berger
Bryson/Finau

I think Morikawa can pair up with anyone, seems like a smart kid who handles himself in any situation.

It's a tough call on Reed. Does his experience overcome some average from? Right now, I'd take Finau or Simpson over him.

What are your thoughts on Kokrak?

I like him more than English, but I would have to dig into their history on match play.

I like Rickie, but I can't see any path to him making the squad. Honestly, I don't even like DJ in the lineup, he seems like he's just phoning it in lately. Phil is a sentimental pick because I love the guy, but he hasn't been playing great lately and hasn't had a great record at Ryder Cups in the past. Jordan has to be on the team, he's on a heater right now - I don't see how Stricker could leave him off.

How many first timers do you want on this team?
I don't really think of Morikawa as a rookie. I know the Ryder Cup is a different animal but he seems to welcome the pressure of big events.

I looked back and Finau's and Simpson's form isn't as bad as I was thinking. Still, it's hard to leave off guys who've won twice this year.

I don't really think of Morikawa as a rookie. I know the Ryder Cup is a different animal but he seems to welcome the pressure of big events.

I looked back and Finau's and Simpson's form isn't as bad as I was thinking. Still, it's hard to leave off guys who've won twice this year.

Maybe I am thinking too much about it, but watching some videos about past ryder cups and there were major champions who I would say have the stones to deal with it talking about how the pressure and feelings around that first tee were like nothing they had experienced. The presidents cup I don't think has the same vibes.

As an individual game as golf normally is, having 11 teammates, your captain and your entire country (most Americans probably don't care, but still) with people screaming/yelling wearing/waving the flag on the tee... I think it is a wee bit different. There is also all the off course stuff that I think you want to have vets who will help the rookies out. For some reason I feel like a few of the vets on this team are not all that interested in anyone but the person they look at in the mirror.

Which I guess might speak for why you would consider Phil. As his game on the course has slipped he seems to have grown into a mentor for a lot of young players. But I think you could do that with him as a vice captain and get most of the same from him.

I think Koepka is going to be poison in that locker room. You know he won't be able to let the Bryson thing go, and it will create tension. DJ isn't playing great and isn't much of a leader/veteran presence with his IDGAF attitude about everything.

Spieth, Cantlay and Reed are the easy ones IMO. The remaining 3 are the real tough decisions for Stricker. And there still is the old guy who won a Major recently>

I agree with the three above. I don't think you can take Phil he is too unpredictable. He could win everything or he could lose everything. If Rickie wins twice I think you have to take him. Rickie would be hot and has experience. I waffle a bit on Bubba. Bubba has been in pretty good form and clearly loves playing for his country.

I would look at current form. Given 6 picks you have the ability to base it on the last 3 -6 months. I am not sure I would take Finau based on that he hasn't been good lately.

Back