Putter Alignment: Top Line or Dot & Flange Line?

Flange line for me! It’s key

Different things work better for different putters. Edel talks about this and makes different plates you can put on top of your putter as well:

This video is interesting.

Different things work better for different putters. Edel talks about this and makes different plates you can put on top of your putter as well:

This video is interesting.

I appreciate the link to the video. I will take a look at it.

I appreciate the link to the video. I will take a look at it.

It is pretty interesting the Edel guy works with a golfer and draws different alignment aids on top of the putter. Edel has some good videos on putter fitting and alignment. It keeps wanting me to get fitted for an Edel I just haven't done it yet.

I like the line. I only use that for my stroke though. I use the face to aim with.

Most of the putters I see have either a topline dot/line or a flange line. Why do they not use both?
My guess is that there has to be some stats on what most players like to see. Sight dots are my preference, but most like a top line or flange line.

I tend to aim left and was told by a OEM as a 'left aimer' a dot is better for me than any type of line.

dot or line on top works better for me. I miss left with putters that only have a line on the flange. Both top and flange alignment markings might be OK for me; as noted above, they are rare. Mallet putters with a long line back to front can work OK for me as well.

I have got along with mallets with long lines in the past. What made me ask this is that I am considering sending a putter (mid mallet with flange line) to Scotty Cameron Custom Shop. I was playing around on their website and liked the appearance of a topline line or dot along with the existing flange line.

Those Edel videos are quite a deep rabbit hole. Interesting stuff.

Back