BroD

Reaction score
Handicap
I see the new putters have adjustment weights,,, is this for a perfect balance within the hands to neutralize its inwards pull?

I think the neck design and other aspects will affect the stroke path more than weights on the sole. If you prefer a heavier feel the adjustable weights are great. But affecting the stroke path or MOI using different weights in the ports? Is that the question? I've tried it and it was inconclusive at best.
It would take a lot of weight, and at that point, is the putter design right for you?

Generally, the adjustable weights are there to provide the weight the user prefers. Although it's possible to place inserts of different weights in some putters, I don't think that's by design.

Put another way: if a putter is designed to be face balanced, then it will be face balanced regardless of the set of weights installed. If it's designed to have toe hang, then changing weights as designed will not change the toe hang - it will just make the putter lighter or heavier.

My putter has places for two weights. The weights come in sets of two - aluminum, copper, and tungsten. It is a face balanced putter as long as I have two aluminum, two copper or two tungsten weights in there. If I used one copper and one tungsten, it would no longer be face balanced. I suppose someone has done that, but if I decided I needed a putter with toe hang, I would look for a putter designed that way rather than trying to convert a face balanced putter by changing the weighting. Designers have a lot more flexibility at the drawing board - OK, screen - than you would have with a limited set of weight options.

When putting,, I use one hand to balance the club, (which isn't much but some) and my other hand to guide the stroke.... (Ping Scottsdale Hohum) What I am asking,, when the club is in my hands loosely held, it balances at my toes.. wondering how that balance point (loosely held) would be at the stroke point.

When putting,, I use one hand to balance the club, (which isn't much but some) and my other hand to guide the stroke.... (Ping Scottsdale Hohum) What I am asking,, when the club is in my hands loosely held, it balances at my toes.. wondering how that balance point (loosely held) would be at the stroke point.

I'm not sure I understand your question, and that's on me. If I were asking questiosn like that, I'd spend a few bucks on some lead tape and experiment.

I have a B1 Heavy Putter. It weighs 1.8 lbs, so it's appropriately named.

It has weight ports to adjust the the club head weight. The instructions say the purpose of adding, or subtracting these weights is (1.) to increase the stability of the club head at ball impact. (Limit twisting)

(2.) To promote more of a pendulum stroke, by keeping the wrists quiet. (No wristy stroke)

I can't vouch for either of those reasons for the extra weight, but it does seem plausible.

I tend to hit a lot of straight, on my line putts with this putter, so I assume the weights have something to do with my success with it.

Back