Putter Build: Swing/Total weight - Do you know, do you care?

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Curious what my fellow THP folks do here.....

Do you know what your current gamers total weight and swing weight is? If not, do you care?

For those that use Superstroke countercore grips (or perhaps similar type grips), do you use any of the counter weights?

If so, which one and why? Did you do it to dial in a wanted total or swing weight? Or did you go solely by feel?

Yes and yes.

For swing weight I seem to putt best around D6 give or take a few points. I’ve tried D0-2 range and that seems too light and E0+ seems way too heavy. Both extremes cause me issues with distance control, though heavier seems to help with face control/stability. So mid-D range seems to be a good compromise.

It seems to correlate for me with head weight. I think sub-350 grams is on the too light side for me and 370+ is too heavy. The light heads seem to lack stability and the heavy heads cause distance control issues for me.

I honestly have no idea on any of it. I can’t tell it is heavy though.

I have a oversized grip, an KBS one step shaft, and 365 gram head. It’s on the heavy side but I don’t have a clue the swing weight.

I prefer a putter on the heavy side.

No, I don't know the total weight of my putter. I'm not too keen on learning what it is either. It's just not something I'm concerned about.

It is counterweighted though. I know that much.:D

I know the Swingweight of my putters and Headweight. I have used a counterweight to quiet the hands - 25g added a bit of stability. I tend to play D7-E2.

Edit -- But all of that has changed when fitted.

Last edited:
Yes and Yes. When I won the SeeMore contest, they did a great job matching the swing weight of my old 35" putter in a shorter version that was better for my stroke. We added 20g of weight in the hosel and I went with a lighter grip.

I have never thought about swing weight in any of my clubs. I left that kind of stuff up to the club fitter/builder.

I do use two putters now. A light one at around 300 grams, and a Heavy B1 Putter that's close to 800 grams.

I use the lighter one most of the time. Just depends on the stimp.

I know swingweights but not total weights. Not a big fan of heavy total weight putter and can tell right away if it is too heavy for me. Have tried counter weights but they are not for me. Would rather feel the weight be in the head than the grip.

I absolutely know and care.

Current M Craft IV:

34 5/8"
65.25* Lie
4.25* loft
E1.5 Swing Weight
355g Head Weight
544.6g Total Weight

Use a SuperStroke but not a counter core. I have a swing weight range I prefer, and probably care more about total weight with putters than most other things.

I care enough to be recently fit by Artisan Golf for about 3 hrs.

340g
35 in
70 lie
Slight toe hang
D2
30g Counterweight in grip (quiets hands) in a GP Pro Only Cord

Don’t worry about the numbers , it’s feel , and confidence for me ,
l know my stroke characteristically lends itself to , mallet and lve used same style since 2001 ( original two ball and upgrade to o works exactly same in black )
Stock standard unit with superstroke grip.

In both of the putters I rotate they are both stock and have no idea of their SW. Some day would like a putted fitting, probably be a 180° change 😉.

I care about swing weight. Not neccasarily for the exact number but more how it feels in hand. I don't like anything being too heavy out by the head or to feel to light. It's kind of a just so thing for me.

Subjectively, yes.

Now I'm curious and going to measure some of mine this morning :unsure:

Interesting spread from my current blade arsenal. All 35" or close.

Definitely think I have worse speed control with the two E9s. Haven't played with the E6.

20211204_111335.jpg

Honestly no i don’t care. I use two putters blade at about 365 gms and mallet at about 355. Steel shafts grip master leather mid size grips both about 36-36 1/2 inches AND a 3” clevis pin back weight. So, total weight mine are heavy.

I know the sw of all my clubs- except the putter. Difficult to measure it because of grip size that does not fit in my scale. SW matters to me most.

I don't know my Scotty putter weight, but I do know I had to add weight to the head as the putter felt light to me.

Artisan 0521 - 449g D2
Artisan 0321 - 447g D2

I don't deal with swingweight. Just MOI.
My putters are at 2790 kg-cm^2, 35" long with a total weight of 330g. Face balanced blade.

I know length, loft, lie, balance/hang and head weight of my two main putters. No counterweights in my SuperStroke grip, as I prefer a heavier feel to the head.

I've never been fit on SAM or any of the other high-tech apparatus, so no idea if/how they match up to "ideal" for me. The two things I care about most are length and head weight - beyond that I've always just gone by how they feel to me and whether I make putts with them or not. Not discounting the effectiveness/usefulness of a proper putter fitting, there's just nobody anywhere near me that does them, so it's a matter of accessibility.

Back