Putter Fitting: Do you believe in it?

Do you believe in putter fitting?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
A think a decent putter fitting would be worth its weight in gold, purely from the confidence factor alone. Which makes it even more surprising and ridiculous that I've never been through one. Really must rectify that at some point, especially seeing as my putting can occasionally be....well, iffy.

i hit "yes"...but i haven't done one yet. i pushed my CC fitting back so we'll find out in october

Yes of course. After my last one, I had the loft be changed to -3.5* and I could physically see the ball rolling off the club face with no bounce or air under the ball... And more speed and consistency.

No. I think I’ve been playing the same style putter for so long that I’ve adapted to it rather than the other way around.

Let me see-one uses the putter more than any other club. Fitting is a must to get the best possible roll.

I checked No because it would not have any value for me, personally. It's one of those things that probably benefits you to exactly the extent you believe it matters.

Simple reason is I forward press to start my stroke, I always have to have my putter bent so I don't pound ball into green

If you don't believe the earth is round, does that make the earth flat?

If you don't believe the earth is round, does that make the earth flat?
Putter fittings do exist. I believe in them.

I answered yes.....although i think with enough time on the practice green I could put just as well with any putter. From inside 6ft I could put just as well with a 2x4 until the dent gets too bad with enough practice.

No, I do my putter fitting on a green.

First of all, I suppose that I should mention that I never have been a very good putter. That being said I've had two different putter fittings in the last three years, one by Club Champion and the second was done at Bettinardi. The Club Champion fitting really didn't seem to accomplish anything or improve my putting.

20201013_135658.jpg

The above is what Bettinardi uses to determine what best works the individual golfer and his putting stroke. It's a combination of cameras and computer. I really was surprised by what they found out when I went in for my fitting. I had been using a center shafted, face balanced putter. By the time I was done with the fitting it was determined that I should be using a 34" putter with a short slant neck and a slight toe hang. I had been using a 35" putter beforehand. Now I never did become the world's best putter (LOL), but my putting did show a great improvement after this fitting.

I'm somewhere in between on this, but that's kind of my mindset just overall on fittings still to this day and I've had several, and read tons on here about them.

I just still think they are overrated. That's not to say they aren't useful, just overrated for the cost and what you get. Especially when comparing current tech against current tech against two respectable OEM's.

Putters fall even more into the overrated bucket for me, because for me it's just SO much about the feel. Mine was just super broad when I had it done.

I unfortunately had a pretty bad putter fitting experience which left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth but I think if you are able to find a good one it would be extremely beneficial.

I unfortunately had a pretty bad putter fitting experience which left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth but I think if you are able to find a good one it would be extremely beneficial.
Well said. Most of our bad experiences color our opinions on such things. You rose above it.

Reactions: KEV
I have been a blade putter for 30+ years and for the last 10 or so struggling with putting. I am going to give a mallet style a try and I thought I may as well get a fitting done in the process. My hope is that it will at least make me think everything equipment wise is ok and I can be confident in that. So I will update this as I see what transpires.

First of all, I suppose that I should mention that I never have been a very good putter. That being said I've had two different putter fittings in the last three years, one by Club Champion and the second was done at Bettinardi. The Club Champion fitting really didn't seem to accomplish anything or improve my putting.

View attachment 9111134

The above is what Bettinardi uses to determine what best works the individual golfer and his putting stroke. It's a combination of cameras and computer. I really was surprised by what they found out when I went in for my fitting. I had been using a center shafted, face balanced putter. By the time I was done with the fitting it was determined that I should be using a 34" putter with a short slant neck and a slight toe hang. I had been using a 35" putter beforehand. Now I never did become the world's best putter (LOL), but my putting did show a great improvement after this fitting.
Nice! One of my friends just did a fitting there today. Walked out with a custom Hive face balanced mallet when he was previously playing a plumbers neck blade.

I have been a blade putter for 30+ years and for the last 10 or so struggling with putting. I am going to give a mallet style a try and I thought I may as well get a fitting done in the process. My hope is that it will at least make me think everything equipment wise is ok and I can be confident in that. So I will update this as I see what transpires.
This is a great example of why I like the idea of a fitting. When making a switch, you can get the data that supports a change. Since putting is a lot about feel, anybody can of course change to anything at any time just to try something new, but it's nice having the confidence that comes with knowing you have something that should be the most beneficial to your putting stroke and should give you the best chance to hit more putts based on the data. I went into my fitting half expecting to be fit into a blade but the data supported mallet or square, so I went that route, and of course followed all the other specs that were recommended. I like knowing that "OK, this should be the best option for me right now" and it takes some of that wondering out of the equation.

And, obviously, even if someone went in and said "I really want to try a mallet no matter what" at the very least, even if PuttLab recommended a blade, you could at the very least take all that into consideration and get a mallet that is best for you based on other specs.

I also just really like the data!

Hope it's a positive experience!

This is a great example of why I like the idea of a fitting. When making a switch, you can get the data that supports a change. Since putting is a lot about feel, anybody can of course change to anything at any time just to try something new, but it's nice having the confidence that comes with knowing you have something that should be the most beneficial to your putting stroke and should give you the best chance to hit more putts based on the data. I went into my fitting half expecting to be fit into a blade but the data supported mallet or square, so I went that route, and of course followed all the other specs that were recommended. I like knowing that "OK, this should be the best option for me right now" and it takes some of that wondering out of the equation.

And, obviously, even if someone went in and said "I really want to try a mallet no matter what" at the very least, even if PuttLab recommended a blade, you could at the very least take all that into consideration and get a mallet that is best for you based on other specs.

I also just really like the data!

Hope it's a positive experience!

Exactly. I think you are right, in that I should even be open to the possibility that the fitting results say stay with a blade but maybe loft/lie, shaft or something needs to change to help with how I swing the putter. Any little thing I can do to have confidence will be worth it for me. The fitting is scheduled for the end of the month so I will update with results.

I think a putter fitting is just as important as any other club in the bag to make sure it fits your eye and stroke tendencies

My current putter was not fitted at the point of purchase, but I did have a session with an instructor/fitter who was able to make some weight and length alterations to it and I have been using it ever since. I do occasionally look at different putters, but have yet to do a full fitting to determine if a different style might suit me better

Back