Putter fitting, yay or nay?

NTXNoodler

Reaction score
Handicap
Debating on a putter fitting only (already have fitted irons and have no money for woods at moment). I want a new putter but of course CC has their sale on fittings for which I did my irons last year and I am very happy with them currently. Considering going for a putter.

Worth it or not to you and why?

Debating on a putter fitting only (already have fitted irons and have no money for woods at moment). I want a new putter but of course CC has their sale on fittings for which I did my irons last year and I am very happy with them currently. Considering going for a putter.

Was going to post a thread asking this very question but decided to search first and saw yours. Club Champions sale ends at the end of the month. I am still thinking about doing a putter only fitting and wondering if its worth it?

Has anyone who has done a putter fitting found benefit from it? Did your putting improve afterwards? Just curious

Very worth it if you've never had it done before. You might be using something wrong for you completely, or at least not set up correctly for you for length/lie/loft. My putter fitting basically just confirmed what I already knew, but I'd still say it was worth it just for that.

Yay, they're not all equal, but definitely a great learning experience and visibility into what improves the putting performance.

Highly recommend them.

Very worth it if you've never had it done before. You might be using something wrong for you completely, or at least not set up correctly for you for length/lie/loft. My putter fitting basically just confirmed what I already knew, but I'd still say it was worth it just for that.
I have never done a putter fitting actually and thats why I'm curious about it. I seem to putt about the same with most putters I've tried though which is why I wonder if it even matters

can't believe this question wasn't responded to when first posted.

ALWAYS yay on a putter fitting. I had a blast with mine at Club Champion and came away with a great start on what to game full time as well as what I can improve on.

I would do it. It's the best golf $$ you will spend. You will see how your putting stroke affect the putter and how much you manipulate the putter through your entire stroke. You will also be able to narrow down the type of putter you should be using to give you the best results.

I did a fitting with the Callaway guys at the Grandaddy... Since then, I basically buy putters setup exactly like the one I was fit for.

It may make sense to look into another one down the road, but for now I feel confident I am putting with something well suited to me.

I have never done a putter fitting actually and thats why I'm curious about it. I seem to putt about the same with most putters I've tried though which is why I wonder if it even matters

If you do the betti one, I would consider flying to Chicago:D

ALWAYS yay on a putter fitting. I had a blast with mine at Club Champion and came away with a great start on what to game full time as well as what I can improve on.
No kidding, I'm glad I searched because thats unacceptable!

Did it confirm what you already knew? Did anything change?

I'm similar, where I seemed to putt as well with most putters, but it was nice to see what I actually SHOULD be using. For me, it may only effect a couple putts a round, but that could be the difference between dropping a stroke or two off of my HC.

Was going to post a thread asking this very question but decided to search first and saw yours. Club Champions sale ends at the end of the month. I am still thinking about doing a putter only fitting and wondering if its worth it?

Has anyone who has done a putter fitting found benefit from it? Did your putting improve afterwards? Just curious

I ended up doing it....surprised I got no responses whatsoever originally.

It was a great experience and I learned a lot. He actually thought my putter was a great fit for my stroke and if anything he said look for a certain type to same specs that feels good to me with adjustable weighting and he can adjust it for me. He also didn't charge me for the fitting since he didn't place me into the club, almost a free putting lesson.

I went ahead and went to pga got what I wanted (Odyssey stroke lab seven), had the pga guy adjust the loft/lie for me and am very happy with it.

No kidding, I'm glad I searched because thats unacceptable!

Did it confirm what you already knew? Did anything change?
blade style was superior for my stroke, which was obnoxiously repetitive.

I tend to lead slightly with the heel into the zone which I knew. Gave me the confidence to pursue long neck due to my lack of head rotation through the stroke.

Learned about my lofting through the stroke, how I set up, etc etc.

I had a great experience, Bobby Ennis in Plano is a great guy if anyone is looking around DFW. He fit me for my irons last year also.

If the putter fitting includes technique instruction then I say it's a yes.

It does to a degree, to understand the type of stroke you have an what you are doing. Now did he "coach" me? Not a ton but added some things off hand that I took into regular practice and play.

blade style was superior for my stroke, which was obnoxiously repetitive.

I tend to lead slightly with the heel into the zone which I knew. Gave me the confidence to pursue long neck due to my lack of head rotation through the stroke.

Learned about my lofting through the stroke, how I set up, etc etc.
Yep, I learned that I hit JUST outside to the left of center at an obnoxious rate as well (I believe it was 98% consistent), but because it was very consistently just outside, it recommended mallet with either face balanced or 30* for the stroke I have.

So without instruction, there is no need or use? Or you'd only pay the costs if it also included instruction?

Mine was not, definitely in the minority though.

It does to a degree, to understand the type of stroke you have an what you are doing. Now did he "coach" me? Not a ton but added some things off hand that I took into regular practice and play.

Whether it be for long clubs, irons, wedge or putter, I've always questioned the merits of a dynamic fitting. Specifically, if a player has faulty technique then isn't fitting equipment to those faults counter productive ?
When I've asked professional fitters this question they all have the same response, which is " we're just trying to help the player get better shot results from the swing he's got".
I get that, but do question if (by fitting to faulty technique), the player then is ingraining the faults, making future technique improvement especially challenging.
The fitters reply to that question by saying "people are interested in buying new equipment, not technique improvement".
The YouTube fitting videos I've watched, such as TXG or Edel, usually have the consumer make some swings or putting strokes and then the fitters stops the fitting to provide instruction. In other words the fitter realizes trying to fit to bad technique is not helping anyone. Once the bit of instruction is done the consumer starts making improved swings/strokes, and equipment specs are then provided.
The PGA instructors I know tell me they rarely get hired to give a putting lesson, maybe one per year . If I wanted to improve my putting I would take a putting lesson and ask the instructor his/her thoughts about what length and lie angle putter I should be using, whether my putter should have offset, be a center or heel shaft orientation etc...

Whether it be for long clubs, irons, wedge or putter, I've always questioned the merits of a dynamic fitting. Specifically, if a player has faulty technique then isn't fitting equipment to those faults counter productive ?
When I've asked professional fitters this question they all have the same response, which is " we're just trying to help the player get better shot results from the swing he's got".
I get that, but do question if (by fitting to faulty technique), the player then is ingraining the faults, making future technique improvement especially challenging.
The fitters reply to that question by saying "people are interested in buying new equipment, not technique improvement".
The YouTube fitting videos I've watched, such as TXG or Edel, usually have the consumer make some swings or putting strokes and then the fitters stops the fitting to provide instruction. In other words the fitter realizes trying to fit to bad technique is not helping anyone. Once the bit of instruction is done the consumer starts making improved swings/strokes, and equipment specs are then provided.
The PGA instructors I know tell me they rarely get hired to give a putting lesson, maybe one per year . If I wanted to improve my putting I would take a putting lesson and ask the instructor his/her thoughts about what length and lie angle putter I should be using, whether my putter should have offset, be a center or heel shaft orientation etc...

Fair enough, not disagreeing with any of that. But you are also paying for a "fitting" and not a "golf lesson". So while I went for potentially a purchase I have never left clueless about what I am doing in my swing if that makes sense. There were some hidden tips and for me just knowing what kind of putter I was for example was worth the $60 in my opinion. As I said he didn't even charge me but I still gained some knowledge and where I could go next step.

I would like to do one. I never have.

Back