Putter Fitting - yea, nea, and what to look for.

jmix18

I'm just happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Looking at getting fit for a putter today. It makes sense to get fit for my putter since it's technically the most used club in the bag.

What are your thoughts on putter fitting? What things should be a "no-brainer" when going through the process?

What are your thoughts on putter fitting? What things should be a "no-brainer" when going through the process?

For my game the ratio of putter head weight to putter length is most significant to my putting performance. At 35" I roll the ball best with a 325 to 330 gram head weight.
At 34" my best results come from a 340 gram head weight.

I have heard of good experiences with putter fittings, and it makes sense.

I just worry that because putting is so much a feel thing for me, if I was fit for a putter and couldn't get over the look, I wouldn't have success.

But then again I'm sure the look is part of the fitting.

There you go. There's a non answer for you
🤷‍♂️

For my game the ratio of putter head weight to putter length is most significant to my putting performance. At 35" I roll the ball best with a 325 to 330 gram head weight.
At 34" my best results come from a 340 gram head weight.
Did you figure that out via a fitting or through your own trial and error?

Awesome... Enjoy and be open to the suggestions. I know its cool to have x y z putters but I'd be open to playing whatever was best for shaving strokes.

Did you figure that out via a fitting or through your own trial and error?

Trial and error. For all clubs, especially the putter, I believe on course testing is what matters. When putting during a round of golf the player faces all sorts of length putts, a range of breaking putts, pressure to make putts for score etc... At a practice putting green these on course factors cannot be duplicated.

It will help you pick a putter but also get a proper loft for your stroke. I found out I was de-lofting my putter 2 degrees so a simple bend made a lot of difference

I did a putter fitting recently with Sam lab. It was worth it to me, but the outcome is not absolute. It was a good experience and the data was fabulous. What to do with that info is not so clear. I am pointed in a slightly different direction.

As with all golf instructions, and/or club fittings, the most important thing is a positive end result. (Stroke saving)

One's putter fitting to their consistent putting stroke is no different. Once fitted, the golfer should be making more putts.

Fitted or not the the "positive" end result is the golfer being able to roll the ball on their chosen line. A good test of this is to put a dime/nickel/penny down 18-24 inches in front of a ball, on a known level surface. Then putt (roll) the ball over the coin. If the golfer can consistently roll the ball over the coin, they are hitting a straight putt, on their chosen line. The putter is fitted to their stroke.

Of course after being able to hit a straight putt, other things enter into successful putting. Things like green speeds, breaks, and finding the correct line to start the putt on.

As with all golf instructions, and/or club fittings, the most important thing is a positive end result. (Stroke saving)

One's putter fitting to their consistent putting stroke is no different. Once fitted, the golfer should be making more putts.

Fitted or not the the "positive" end result is the golfer being able to roll the ball on their chosen line. A good test of this is to put a dime/nickel/penny down 18-24 inches in front of a ball, on a known level surface. Then putt (roll) the ball over the coin. If the golfer can consistently roll the ball over the coin, they are hitting a straight putt, on their chosen line. The putter is fitted to their stroke.

Of course after being able to hit a straight putt, other things enter into successful putting. Things like green speeds, breaks, and finding the correct line to start the putt on.

I think my issue is that I like all the putters I see... and then want to try them - and then I don't have a consistent knowledge of what works or should work for me. I've been fit for irons, woods, drivers... but never putter. each fitting has assisted in my scoring and I think the next step is my putter. I mean I'm sure I'll miss less 3 footers but I'll still miss them because I'm mentally weak on the green but then I'll only have me to blame :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

I think my issue is that I like all the putters I see... and then want to try them - and then I don't have a consistent knowledge of what works or should work for me.

For rounds of golf, approximately how many different putter types have you played ?

Looking at getting fit for a putter today. It makes sense to get fit for my putter since it's technically the most used club in the bag.

I think you need to be happy with your setup and stroke before a putter fitting. But if you're happy with that AND IT IS CONSISTENT, then you will get a good fitting.

Reactions: mig
For rounds of golf, approximately how many different putter types have you played ?
Blade, mid-blade, all the TM Spyders, Mallets big and small., and all different lengths and grips.

Blade, mid-blade, all the TM Spyders, Mallets big and small., and all different lengths and grips.

Are you getting fit at 2nd swing?

I think my issue is that I like all the putters I see... and then want to try them - and then I don't have a consistent knowledge of what works or should work for me.

After trying the putters , lengths, grips etc... you list I expect you have some idea of which performs best for you.

I've so far had three putters:
  1. The Golden Bear blade that came with the bag of clubs I was gifted
  2. A SeeMore Si5 mallet I bought to replace #1
  3. An Odyssey Stroke Labs Double-Wide blade
The Golden Bear blade just wasn't working for me at all. The SeeMore Si5 was a vast improvement, but I wondered if I couldn't do still better, yet, thus the Odyssey SL DW. The DW blade seems much better for me at five feet and under. The SeeMore mallet seems like it might be marginally better out at ten feet or more.

So, before buying any more putters, I believe I'll get a SAM putter fitting.

yep. Was thinking about it and saw an opening this morning.
From what I remember, they will find out your stroke path(straight, slight arc or strong arc), find out what length will work best for you based on your eye position and once they figure out that, they suggest a head or heads. Once you select a putter they will get the right loft and lie. It is fun.

I did a putter fitting recently with Sam lab. It was worth it to me, but the outcome is not absolute. It was a good experience and the data was fabulous. What to do with that info is not so clear. I am pointed in a slightly different direction.
This was my experience also. The SAM Puttlab gave a bunch of really cool info, and I learned quite a bit about my putting stroke. The SAM recommendation was for a blade or mallet,34", with some toe-hang, decrease the loft, and flatten the lie. My current putter though is a 34" face balance mallet, and the fitter couldn't argue with the results I was getting with it, as I was draining everything with it, 10' putts on their carpet. I also rolled quite a few putts with various toe-hang mallets, with pretty much the same results. The fitter ended up adjusting the loft and lie on mine, and said obviously I can do just as well with a face-balanced putter as I could with one that has some toe-hang.

It was a great experience, I learned a lot, even though nothing really definitive or earth shattering.

My goodness there is some odd stuff in here :ROFLMAO:

A putter fitting is not designed to replicate or replace trying a putter on the course. Anybody that says it is, hasn't been through a fitting and/or doesn't understand it. It is designed to find a head that fits your stroke, so you are not fighting it and it works remarkably well. Loft, length, lie and toe hang are all part of it based on how the stroke is made.

Does one have to do it to find success? Of course not, but the dismissive side of it without understanding what is taking place is so commonplace and just completely false. Here is a detailed explanation of what takes place at one.

I did a putter fitting at CC and found out I needed a toe hang model. I had that putter, so they bent it to fit my stroke exactly.

It was good know I'm hitting the right kind of putter, the rest is now up to me!

Take a read:

I've seen an Edel putter fitting videos where Edel recognizes the customer's technique is faulty (so he gives the customer a putting technique lesson). This makes better sense to me than fitting a putter to faulty technique. What percentage of putter fitters that end up giving the customer a lesson (as part of the fitting )I have no idea.

I’d love to do a full putter fitting! I kind of skimmed over it in a full bag fitting (just wanted to see what the data showed about my stroke). But we determined that I needed more tow hang and pulled a couple putters that showed me getting the face more square at impact. I definitely think it’s a good exercise!

I’d love to do a full putter fitting! I kind of skimmed over it in a full bag fitting (just wanted to see what the data showed about my stroke). But we determined that I needed more tow hang and pulled a couple putters that showed me getting the face more square at impact. I definitely think it’s a good exercise!
Just 9 months away from the full meal deal!

Back