Putter Fitting - yea, nea, and what to look for.

One putter fitting factor that I don't believe has been address in this thread is grip shape and grip weight. These days the golf industry's selection of available of putter grip sizes, shapes, profiles and grip weights is remarkable. For example, putter grips ranging from as light as 35 grams to as heavy as 150 grams are out there for players to try and learn which weight provides the best balanced putter for their game. Whether putter fitting businesses offer a comprehensive inventory of grip diameter sizes and grip weights to try I have no idea.

One putter fitting factor that I don't believe has been address in this thread is grip shape and grip weight. These days the golf industry's selection of available of putter grip sizes, shapes, profiles and grip weights is remarkable. For example, putter grips ranging from as light as 35 grams to as heavy as 150 grams are out there for players to try and learn which weight provides the best balanced putter for their game. Whether putter fitting businesses offer a comprehensive inventory of grip diameter sizes and grip weights to try I have no idea.
This is one area I haven’t really thought about. I have gone with feel in my hands. 1/4 lb of difference is a lot.

This is one area I haven’t really thought about. I have gone with feel in my hands. 1/4 lb of difference is a lot.
For the most part the advent of the heavier grip weights is a an effort to counter balance the proliferation of heavier putter head weights. All that is fine and good if the player is able to get good performance from a heavy static weight putter.
I have no idea if putter fitting businesses offer the customer a wide range of head weights to try.

I've seen an Edel putter fitting videos where Edel recognizes the customer's technique is faulty (so he gives the customer a putting technique lesson). This makes better sense to me than fitting a putter to faulty technique. What percentage of putter fitters that end up giving the customer a lesson (as part of the fitting )I have no idea.

I have no idea either. Offering putting advice, of course, allows Edel to give a better fit. He goes by aim and that gives Edel a start. In the early 00's, one saw a lot of Edel putters that looked odd because peeps apparently didn't want to change what they were doing. I was at a couple of fittings for other peeps and the Edel fitter (not David) would ask "Is that the way you want to putt?" OR "I can't fit you right now. I can't find consistency.":unsure:o_O

That's the reason I advise people when asked to find a consistent putting technique. If they are unsure, pay someone who is good to give them a lesson or two, practice it, video it, gain consistency with good fundamentals, and then go to your fitting.

. He goes by aim and that gives Edel a start

It is ironic that Edel proclaims "The Bullseye putter is hands down the best aimer" yet he has never offered that style within his own putter line.

David Edel: I really like the Karsten Anser style head. I can’t use it, but I think it has a great profile. I liked Kevin Burns and T.P. Mills / Anser style heads. Those looked clean. I think less is more. There is too much **** on putters these days. Between colors, funky shapes, lines, and weight ports it is total confusion. That stuff should aim, right? People get lost in all that geometry and most of the time cannot hit a barn with their aim. The Bullseye is hands down the best aimer. Pretty simple design. John Reuter did a great job with that one. The Two Ball works for some, but is not for everyone. I wish I came up with that one from a financial standpoint.

Above copied and pasted from here:

UPDATE: Had the putter fitting this morning. He told me to bring in my "gamer putter" and we'd start from there.

Starting out we used some machine (slow-mo that watches all aspects of swing and spin) that Phil talked about during his presser after he won his first Champions Tour event. Super cool to see the data and slow-motion of the ball once hit.

I hit 4 or 5 balls with my "gamer", looked at the data with him, and after looking at the data he wanted to go check out my putter. Came back and told me it was at a 7* loft and wondered if I'd like to have it back to specs (4*). "Yep - please feel free to adjust," I stated. Once that was done, I hit another 5 putts and the data came back where he wanted it. (speed, degrees loft, spin, etc...)

From there we talked about my misses and feel. Told him I miss right most of the time and that I'll get flippy as well. Found out that I need the following: Toe hang and an angled neck at 35 or 35.5 inches. = What my current Gamer Putter is.

Here's the nice thing about the day - he goes - "If you want me to save you $300 right now just change out your grip" and go back to the original pistol grip that Scotty has. His putters are designed for those styles." ( I have a larger SuperStroke with the counterbalance weight in it currently.) Whether that's true or not, I figured I'd try that out first before dropping coin on a new flatstick.

I do want to try out and feel the new Odyssey Ten Series 2-ball and he said he'd call me when they come in in a few weeks and we'll see if things are any better. But until then change the grip and see how things feel.

I feel pretty good about it. Now it's up to me to sink more putts over time and see if he's right.

What I learned today. going to change my putter grip back towards the original style and see if that give a better feel and results. All via the advice of the putter fitter.

UPDATE: Had the putter fitting this morning. He told me to bring in my "gamer putter" and we'd start from there.

Starting out we used some machine (slow-mo that watches all aspects of swing and spin) that Phil talked about during his presser after he won his first Champions Tour event. Super cool to see the data and slow-motion of the ball once hit.

I hit 4 or 5 balls with my "gamer", looked at the data with him, and after looking at the data he wanted to go check out my putter. Came back and told me it was at a 7* loft and wondered if I'd like to have it back to specs (4*). "Yep - please feel free to adjust," I stated. Once that was done, I hit another 5 putts and the data came back where he wanted it. (speed, degrees loft, spin, etc...)

From there we talked about my misses and feel. Told him I miss right most of the time and that I'll get flippy as well. Found out that I need the following: Toe hang and an angled neck at 35 or 35.5 inches. = What my current Gamer Putter is.

Here's the nice thing about the day - he goes - "If you want me to save you $300 right now just change out your grip" and go back to the original pistol grip that Scotty has. His putters are designed for those styles." ( I have a larger SuperStroke with the counterbalance weight in it currently.) Whether that's true or not, I figured I'd try that out first before dropping coin on a new flatstick.

I do want to try out and feel the new Odyssey Ten Series 2-ball and he said he'd call me when they come in in a few weeks and we'll see if things are any better. But until then change the grip and see how things feel.

I feel pretty good about it. Now it's up to me to sink more putts over time and see if he's right.
Can you let me know when they have them too? I want to get fit for one too.

For the most part the advent of the heavier grip weights is a an effort to counterbalance the proliferation of heavier putter head weights. All that is fine and good if the player is able to get good performance from a heavy static weight putter.
I have no idea if putter fitting businesses offer the customer a wide range of head weights to try.

The combinations for grips, counterbalance, head weight, etc., are endless. I've tinkered a lot with all these parameters the last few decades, but I just started experimenting with different putter shafts last year and am shocked at how it can change the feel and performance of a putter—one more factor to consider, lol. I just ordered a few more CT Tour shafts and their One Step shaft as well.

Definitely get fitted or at least check to see if your current putter works for you.

While getting fit for irons last year, my fitter did a few measurements of my putter and my putting stroke and it turns out my putter fits me perfectly. It was lucky since I was not fitted for it originally and have been using this putter since 2001. I like my putter. It is nice to me.

Definitely get fitted or at least check to see if your current putter works for you.

While getting fit for irons last year, my fitter did a few measurements of my putter and my putting stroke and it turns out my putter fits me perfectly. It was lucky since I was not fitted for it originally and have been using this putter since 2001. I like my putter. It is nice to me.
Last year was the first time I played the same putter for the entire year. 20 years is incredible. Glad it is working for you

What I learned today. going to change my putter grip back towards the original style and see if that give a better feel and results. All via the advice of the putter fitter.

Perfect example of the misnomers of putter fitting. Not you mind you, because you just went through one, but grip is absolutely part of a good fitting and it is often times overlooked.

Just far too much "get lessons" every time a fitting thread comes up as if they are mutually exclusive somehow.

At your fitting today how many grip brands and, or, grip models did the fitter have you try ?

At your fitting today how many grip brands and, or, grip models did the fitter have you try ?
How many places have more than 2 of the same putters with different grips? Very hard to have that big of inventory

Looking at getting fit for a putter today. It makes sense to get fit for my putter since it's technically the most used club in the bag.

What are your thoughts on putter fitting? What things should be a "no-brainer" when going through the process?
Ive never been a big fan of putter fittings. To me, its just snake oil. Pick up a putter and hit it. Did you like it and does it feel good to you? Cool, go with that. Didnt like it? Cool, try something else.
To me, the merits that people give for putter fittings are wishful thinking, delusion and trying to convince themselves to buy a new putter because, "I was fit for it this time, so its going to work."

How many places have more than 2 of the same putters with different grips?
I don’t know, which is why I asked the OP how many grip brands and,or grip models he was offered to try today during his putter fitting.

I did a putter fitting at Club Champion last week and learned a bunch. Interestingly I have always migrated toward face balanced mallets and that is what the recommendation was. I shortened my putter an inch and the fitter made slight adjustments to the loft and lie.

I brought three putters into the fitting and she adjusted all of them.

I will do a full report on the fitting when I get a chance. I have the full SAM report so I can share some of the details from that as well.

I did a putter fitting at Club Champion last week and learned a bunch. Interestingly I have always migrated toward face balanced mallets and that is what the recommendation was. I shortened my putter an inch and the fitter made slight adjustments to the loft and lie.

I brought three putters into the fitting and she adjusted all of them.

I will do a full report on the fitting when I get a chance. I have the full SAM report so I can share some of the details from that as well.

Looking forward to it. Will never understand the idea that "its junk" without someone even having an idea what is taking place, which seems commonplace on the internet I guess. :ROFLMAO:

Yet it seems the same people saying this, get angry about lofts changing, which is one of the most interesting facets about putter fitting haha.

The idea of having a putter fitting certainly makes sense, but I won't have personal experience until March 10th. There are a lot of things I thought I was doing in my regular stroke where the video would show something different, so I'm sure it won't be entirely different with putter. There's the putting stroke (and a putter style that fits those strokes) and the ideal length. Plus, having the loft set for your stroke can help get the ball rolling quicker to help you stay on target. I'm sure there's a lot more to it as well, but I figure the video will not lie. I'm really looking forward to the experience!

I don’t know, which is why I asked the OP how many grip brands and,or grip models he was offered to try today during his putter fitting.
I don’t know of any places that have interchangeable grips to try out. - maybe a new sales idea?
However I came from a large counter weighted superstroke so I know that feeling. From there I tried multiple putter that were similar in head size and weight. I had better stats with smaller pistol grip and the feel was better.

One of the best investments you can make.
  1. As you point out, it's your most used club.
  2. A putter fitting can see and measure things you can't without it. You'll end up with a putter that gives you a much truer roll.
  3. You'll also learn things about your putting stroke. If you have any inconsistencies they will show up. So, it's like getting a fitting and a lesson all in one.
  4. You'll end up with just the right putter for you. With all the variations in putters, this is something that would take many years of trial and error, if you ever would get there.

Looking forward to it. Will never understand the idea that "its junk" without someone even having an idea what is taking place, which seems commonplace on the internet I guess. :ROFLMAO:

Yet it seems the same people saying this, get angry about lofts changing, which is one of the most interesting facets about putter fitting haha.

I agree how can it possible be a waste to learn more about your golf game and what might help it. You might argue about the cost and value but it can never hurt you to learn more. For me it was worth the $100 at Club Champion.

Reactions: JB
I don’t know of any places that have interchangeable grips to try out. - maybe a new sales idea?

I’ve never done a putter fitting , which is why on this thread I’ve inquired about a fit shop’s available inventory of putter head weights and grip weights.
From a golf perspective I believe an honest fitting should include head weights of 310,320,330,340,350 and 360 grams
For head shapes a fitting should offer slender blade, mid size, mallet.
For shaft orientation a fitting should offer heel, near heel, near center, and center shaft.
For offset a fitting should offer no offset, half shaft offset, full shaft offset.
For grips a putter fitting should offer slender profile, mid size, over size diameter grips. Also grip weights of 35, 55, 75, 85,105, 125, 150 grams should be available to try during a putter fitting.
Obviously, no player should need to try all the above stuff. But if the range of putter lengths which may fit potential customers is from 33” to
38” then having in inventory a wide range of head weights and grip weights is the only honest way to find the customer’s truly good fit.
An inventory of putter heads with different weights and shaft orientations could be ordered from a putter maker with a CNC milling machine.
Or perhaps 3D printing heads could be used to produce a range of heads for fitting business purposes.
I think the bottom line is that a player can shop on his own for putter heads and grips of different weights and shapes. Or he can visit a putter fitting business. I have nothing against having a putter fitting but if the fit shop’s inventory is limited to few options then I question whether the customer is getting his best possible fit.

I had a putter fitting at Club Champion Jan 2020. It was more of an exploration of finding out what worked better for me. Face Balanced or not, amount of toe hang and length. I enjoyed it and was able to get the specs from them to be able to buy my Scotty refurbed form a seller in one the lefty facebook groups. The putter fitter has been the best thing I have done. My putting was 1000% better this past season. My distance control was also excellent.

Back