Putter Fitting - yea, nea, and what to look for.

I agree how can it possible be a waste to learn more about your golf game and what might help it. You might argue about the cost and value but it can never hurt you to learn more. For me it was worth the $100 at Club Champion.
Exactly. One can test tons of putter, and that’s fun as hell. Yet loft is so overlooked in putters and one of the crucial elements in fit. High speed cameras have taught us so much about what happens as the ball leaves the face and everybody’s stroke is different. To discount the merits of fitting without experiencing it is like saying you hate pizza without ever trying anything but Dominos. 😃

I’ve never done a putter fitting , which is why on this thread I’ve inquired about a fit shop’s available inventory of putter head weights and grip weights.
From a golf perspective I believe an honest fitting should include head weights of 310,320,330,340,350 and 360 grams
For head shapes a fitting should offer slender blade, mid size, mallet.
For shaft orientation a fitting should offer heel, near heel, near center, and center shaft.
For offset a fitting should offer no offset, half shaft offset, full shaft offset.
For grips a putter fitting should offer slender profile, mid size, over size diameter grips. Also grip weights of 35, 55, 75, 85,105, 125, 150 grams should be available to try during a putter fitting.
Obviously, no player should need to try all the above stuff. But if the range of putter lengths which may fit potential customers is from 33” to
38” then having in inventory a wide range of head weights and grip weights is the only honest way to find the customer’s truly good fit.
An inventory of putter heads with different weights and shaft orientations could be ordered from a putter maker with a CNC milling machine.
Or perhaps 3D printing heads could be used to produce a range of heads for fitting business purposes.
I think the bottom line is that a player can shop on his own for putter heads and grips of different weights and shapes. Or he can visit a putter fitting business. I have nothing against having a putter fitting but if the fit shop’s inventory is limited to few options then I question whether the customer is getting his best possible fit.

Yet loft is so overlooked in putters and one of the crucial elements in fit.

The adjustment in my loft made an immediate impact in how the ball rolled. It was observable in the slo-mo cameras as well. So adding that and then trying an easy grip change was worth the time - which in the end, cost me nothing, no-charge.

So, like other clubs there are fittings and there are fittings. I've never had a putter fitting at 2nd Swing and they didn't provide much information on their website. A quality putter fitting will have the elements described below. Before you commit to the fitting I'd ask them about their process to see whether they do or do not have these elements.
  • Pre-fitting questionnaire: This could be written or verbal, but should be a version of 20 Questions where you are asked a number of questions about what you hope to accomplish, your current equipment, and what your misses look like
  • High Quality Putter Fitting Equipment: This is the one thing I could verify off 2nd Swing's website. They've got this covered.
  • Lots of Combinations: Since 2nd Swing is all about used clubs this could be a problem. For putters you want them to have several thousand combinations of heads, shafts and grips to insure an optimum fit. If they are simply pulling a few used putters from their inventory and saying, 'Let's see what they look like on our fitting equipment' that's not going to yield an optimized result.
  • Expert Fitters: This is the hardest one to evaluate because everyone will SAY they have expert fitters. But in point of fact, there are no industry standards or certifications you must have to be a fitter. As a first pass, simply ask them what makes their fitters "experts". If they simply rely on experience, 'Our fitters have performed over [insert number here] fittings on average'. Run for the hills. That's like saying hitting X number of balls on the range makes you a golf instructor. Same thing could be said about saying they all had to attend a class on how to use the fitting equipment. You want to see a rigorous in-house certification program, apprenticeship with demonstrated abilities to become a fitter, and/or demonstrated qualifications for hire. For example on the latter, some will only hire fitters who previously were fitters for a handful of club manufacturers. Make them show you they have something with teeth in it.

I should schedule another fitting and walk in with my bag of 35+ putters just to see the look on the guys face. ;)

I’ve never done a putter fitting , which is why on this thread I’ve inquired about a fit shop’s available inventory of putter head weights and grip weights.
From a golf perspective I believe an honest fitting should include head weights of 310,320,330,340,350 and 360 grams
For head shapes a fitting should offer slender blade, mid size, mallet.
For shaft orientation a fitting should offer heel, near heel, near center, and center shaft.
For offset a fitting should offer no offset, half shaft offset, full shaft offset.
For grips a putter fitting should offer slender profile, mid size, over size diameter grips. Also grip weights of 35, 55, 75, 85,105, 125, 150 grams should be available to try during a putter fitting.
Obviously, no player should need to try all the above stuff. But if the range of putter lengths which may fit potential customers is from 33” to
38” then having in inventory a wide range of head weights and grip weights is the only honest way to find the customer’s truly good fit.
An inventory of putter heads with different weights and shaft orientations could be ordered from a putter maker with a CNC milling machine.
Or perhaps 3D printing heads could be used to produce a range of heads for fitting business purposes.
I think the bottom line is that a player can shop on his own for putter heads and grips of different weights and shapes. Or he can visit a putter fitting business. I have nothing against having a putter fitting but if the fit shop’s inventory is limited to few options then I question whether the customer is getting his best possible fit.

It would be really awesome to have the 30,000 different putters and options, I just don’t think it is a realistic option for any fitter.

It would be really awesome to have the 30,000 different putters and options, I just don’t think it is a realistic option for any fitter.
And honestly that’s not a fitting haha. Go to Roger Dunn Santa Ana and putt away. Virtually nothing to do with actual fitting though 😃

And both are fun.

And honestly that’s not a fitting haha. Go to Roger Dunn Santa Ana and putt away. Virtually nothing to do with actual fitting though 😃

And both are fun.

Heck, Furyk bought a used Yes! putter for $39 and went on to win the Freaking FedEx Cup with it. You are right, golf is fun!

I understand fitters like to use cameras and talk about stroke path , toe hang, roll of the ball after impact etc.... That's fine and it is within the inventory budget of a fitting business.
Whether the process results in the customer being fit for his best putter specs is questionable. Consider that for an OEM specific putter fitting customers are given extremely limited spec options. For example, one major OEM does not have a single center shaft model within their entire current line. Another major OEM uses only their own brand-model putter grips, which are limited to a few models and a small range of weights. I am sure it's a fun experience to have a putter fitting, but (given the limited options the customers is given to try)I question whether the results of the fitting is truly the best fit. For some players the answer is probably yes, for other players the answer is no.

I understand fitters like to use cameras and talk about stroke path , toe hang, roll of the ball after impact etc.... That's fine and it is within the inventory budget of a fitting business.
Whether the process results in the customer being fit for his best putter specs is questionable. Consider that for an OEM specific putter fitting customers are given extremely limited spec options. For example, one major OEM does not have a single center shaft model within their entire current line. Another major OEM uses only their own brand-model putter grips, which are limited to a few models and a small range of weights. I am sure it's a fun experience to have a putter fitting, but (given the limited options the customers is given to try)I question whether the results of the fitting is truly the best fit. For some players the answer is probably yes, for other players the answer is no.
Honest question here.... do you feel the same way about all types of fittings? Is a driver fitting worthless? How about iron fittings? What about Granddaddy fittings? Your rationale then pertains to every aspect of golf then. Did you get fit for your clubs or just go by feel and trial and error?

I thought about a putter fitting, but that's not my desire. What I do is demo them and select from that. Aesthetics is important, along with face feedback, and with those aspects in mind, which ever feels and putts the best is what I go with.

Honest question here.... do you feel the same way about all types of fittings?

For all clubs I believe on course trial and error is best. For example, at a range or fitting studio a player is making consecutive swings with the same club from a perfect level lie.
This is nothing like a golf course environment where a player may only be making a driver swing average of once every 20 to 25 minutes , playing irons and wedge shots from sloped, sandy, grassy or other less than ideal lies, or having pressure shots and putts for scoring. These type on course factors should matter when finding the best equipment for one's game.

You are right, with limited options they may not get something that is perfect for them but they should get some thing that is better for them than what they came in with. If that is tweaking what they currently have or something new.

For all clubs I believe on course trial and error is best. For example, at a range or fitting studio a player is making consecutive swings with the same club from a perfect level lie.
This is nothing like a golf course environment where a player may only be making a driver swing average of once every 20 to 25 minutes , playing irons and wedge shots from sloped, sandy, grassy or other less than ideal lies, or having pressure shots and putts for scoring. These type on course factors should matter when finding the best equipment for one's game.
I haven’t looked around for this option, but what OEM or retailer let’s you take full sets out for a few rounds for trial and error?

I realize you’re probably speaking in utopian and perfect testing options/conditions, however unless you’re a tour player none of us (Even MC Tour Players) will ever have those opportunities to game test every option available.

Last edited:
I haven’t looked around for this option, but what OEM or retailer let’s you take full sets out for a few rounds for trial and error?

Personally, I've purchased used and new clubs for trial and error purposes. Over the years a player can cultivate some preferences for head type and shaft type, which significantly culls down the list of potential clubs. Some good players I know have the habit of trying clubs of other players or at demo days. Some green grass pro shops have demo clubs available. Some off course retailers offer 30, 60, or 90 day return policies. There are online shaft rental businesses etc... so if one has the will to try different clubs or shafts on the golf course there are ways to do it.

You are right, with limited options they may not get something that is perfect for them but they should get some thing that is better for them than what they came in with. If that is tweaking what they currently have or something new.

That's fine, but so many people I've known do not have the clubs they were fitted to still within their bag, so I question the merits of a fitting (other than it is a fun experience).
One guy I play with regularly was fit for the first time two weeks ago. He should soon be getting his new driver and 3-wood. He told me that during the fitting his swing speed, ball speed, and shot dispersion all improved with a particular shaft (s) and head (s) combination, so that is what he ordered. I am anxious to see his shot results during the next several rounds.

The CC I went to had lots of different options for heads shafts and grips to hit. You couldn't assemble any putter you wanted with unlimited options but you could find most combinations of head type, shaft length etc. I am not sure if they would adjust a stock putter for you to get the lie and loft you need and see how it rolls. I had some putters that were very close to the recommendation and the fitter was quick to adjust my putters to the specs recommended.

I love to try new equipment and certainly do that and buy putters that I think I might like. While there are slopes etc on putting greens I don't think they are severe enough to not have a basic lie and loft on your putter that fits your stroke.

Back