Putter Grips for M Glove Size and Standard Grips?

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I have two cheap-o mallet style putters. I have a Super Stroke Slim 3.0 on one, and then the Super Stroke Wristlock on the other. I've decided its time to give up on the Wristlock experience, it's just not for me.

I was curious what you all are playing and specifically those of you that wear a medium glove, and play a standard grip in my other clubs.

I find it so difficult to dial in on putter grips, I just really don't understand what the taper vs. non does, what fatter vs. non fatter does, and I realize alot of it is just what you like, but I'm still curious to hear what people are using that maybe have a similar hand size to me?

Taper pistol grip like these two. I feel it fits more comfortable in small hands.

1631887644170.png

1631887741713.png

Pistol grips I think are for the more traditional inside to inside stroke. While flat grips fit well for that straight back & straight thru stroke with mallet putters.
Grip size & shape is all personal preference & comfort level.

If you can, I would suggest getting fit for a putter. (y)

Taper pistol grip like these two. I feel it fits more comfortable in small hands.

Pistol grips I think are for the more traditional inside to inside stroke. While flat grips fit well for that straight back & straight thru stroke with mallet putters.
Grip size & shape is all personal preference & comfort level.

If you can, I would suggest getting fit for a putter. (y)
So this is great cause it already brings me to a question.
I definitely have a straight back and straight thru stroke on I'd say anything from 25' in, but as the stroke gets longer I think I tend to create a bit of a slight arc. No idea if this is common or not.

Overall it sounds like I should look more at flat grips.

Appreciate the fitting comment...knew it was coming, but I'm not interested in paying $150 for a putter fitting at this time. Maybe someday.

Just keep trying them out until you find one that's comfortable. Once I went to a GG & started hitting a variety of putters. Once I started to make a number of putts in a row with that particular putter grip, I looked for a variety of putters that had that type. Putter grips can always be changed, just remember to hit a number of them until you find one that's comfortable in your hands. That, to me, is the most important aspect. Does the putter fit your hands?

Just keep trying them out until you find one that's comfortable. Once I went to a GG & started hitting a variety of putters. Once I started to make a number of putts in a row with that particular putter grip, I looked for a variety of putters that had that type. Putter grips can always be changed, just remember to hit a number of them until you find one that's comfortable in your hands. That, to me, is the most important aspect. Does the putter fit your hands?
Yea and I probably will go to GG and do exactly this, but was still just kind of curious what others are working with as a starting place. Putter grips ain't cheap so...

In regards to putter grip, it basically boils down to what is comfortable to you and enables you to put a good, confident stroke on the ball. Something that helps keep your hands and wrists quiet through the stroke.

I wear a small glove and use standard grips and currently use a Superstroke 2.0 grip. I have many grips that are both bigger and smaller. The 2.0 is working best for me currently.

I echo @Sox_Fan on this. I don't think your hands size is necessarily tied to a specific size putter grip being right for you.

I wear a medium glove and play standard grips. I play Superstroke Pistol GT 1.0 grips on most putters, but play the Tour (little skinnier) on occasion, and have played the 2.0's well too. It kind of depends on the head for me. What @golfinnut said about taper vs. flat is good advice imo too, and it's why different grips work better for me with different heads.

I have large hands and use a super stroke 2.0 grip which is round and l am straight back and through putter , the reason l have the grip is that the diameter ensures my hands are quieter , that said l am a shoulder swinger no arm style with mallet type putter .

Whatever makes your swing feel most comfortable , l experimented a little, not a lot and no fitting, but had no perceived solution when l started..

Find what compliments what you do , when you putt, and purchase what advantages that most, and make your putting more effective. You don’t have spend lots to get results

There Is as many differing styles and models as their is players out there lol hope this helps

This is great advice and cost free. You can visit GG or DSG and simply try a number of putters and really get a feel for the various grip characteristics. If you are dealing with grips, just make sure you stay focused and not get into the putters. Try to find putters that are similar to what you use but with different grips.

I wound up with a pistol style factory grip on my Scotty. I can adapt to most any grip on the putter given a little time, but I like the comfort of the factory Scotty I have. If anything it could be a tad softer for me as I don't always like the feel of the firmer grips. I am not changing anytime soon. She is getting a bit worn though.

I went for a putter fitting a while back at CC and the guy was like there is really nothing we can do here your putting is rock solid. The data speaks for itself. As I have stated before, I wished it was that good on course all the time :rolleyes:

So I have two cheap-o mallet style putters. I have a Super Stroke Slim 3.0 on one, and then the Super Stroke Wristlock on the other. I've decided its time to give up on the Wristlock experience, it's just not for me.

I was curious what you all are playing and specifically those of you that wear a medium glove, and play a standard grip in my other clubs.

I find it so difficult to dial in on putter grips, I just really don't understand what the taper vs. non does, what fatter vs. non fatter does, and I realize alot of it is just what you like, but I'm still curious to hear what people are using that maybe have a similar hand size to me?

Golf Pride Tour Only 81cc, or Golf Pride Tour Classic. More of a hold the putter in your fingers kind of grip, which I prefer. But you can also palm them. They are the ones in Post #2

So this is great cause it already brings me to a question.
I definitely have a straight back and straight thru stroke on I'd say anything from 25' in, but as the stroke gets longer I think I tend to create a bit of a slight arc. No idea if this is common or not.

Overall it sounds like I should look more at flat grips.

Appreciate the fitting comment...knew it was coming, but I'm not interested in paying $150 for a putter fitting at this time. Maybe someday.

If you stand to the side of a putter, you will get to an arc at some point. Usually taking it back beyond 6 inches or so you will naturally have an arc - depends on how close or far you are from the ball in your stance. It's natural -- you are to the side of the ball. If you don't have an arc at some point, your are manipulating the putter with your hands. The idea is to remain square to the arc, no matter how large or small an arc.

I've putted about every way known to man over the years and recently abandoned the shoulder stroke to something more athletic. But before that time, I'd abandoned superstroke and other large grips - I like to hold the putter in my fingers, not the palm. But that's me. Some enjoy the steadiness of the palm. But shoulder strokes and palming the grip are not my preferred technique, although I've use them in the past searching for precision. The danger? I think we can become too mechanical and less athletic, and at some point, we lose our humanity.:unsure::ROFLMAO: Kidding.

The golf stroke is athletic and so is putting. We've gone over the last 30 years to heavy putters, big grips, and shoulder strokes - all in the name of precision. But is it? We are trading athleticism for mechanics. We need more Tiger, less Bryson. Although Bryson makes putts, only a few of us can do the Iron Bryson approach to putting. Go Tiger, go Utley, go Faxon.

So if the shoulder stroke isn't working for ya', feels too limiting or stilted, unnatural, i.e., too stiff and unathletic, try something else.

Last edited:
Back