bozack

Reaction score
Handicap
tempted to start this with size matters.....

I know this has been covered before but even though I read all the pages that give advice on height, preference, and all the other factors I was wondering what the current thoughts are on putter length?

I currently have a 34" Odyssey Big T Versa and I like it but I choke way down when putting, I tried a 33" Cleveland Huntington beach and it at first felt better but then after a few putts it seemed like I tended to break my wrists and it flopped around and overall not as good as my 34", but couldn't figure out if that was in my head, the milled vs insert debate....

I am 5'9" with T rex length arms..

What do you guys game, and for those who have tried a few any deciding factors?

I'm 5'9" as well and I was fit into a 33" Toulon Chicago. On shorter putts I find myself choking down even more with better success. Have you tried several different grips?

I'm 5'9" as well and I was fit into a 33" Toulon Chicago. On shorter putts I find myself choking down even more with better success. Have you tried several different grips?

not yet, I really want one of those new Scotty Camerons they just announced and hope to try one out, problem is local stock is limited. I have to find time away from the fam to get some serious test time in

5' 9" also, probably average arm length wrt height, I dunno. 34" putter is my sweet spot and for probably 20 years now. But I have tried others occasionally.

When I play longer, it can get hung up in my shirt due to my stance. Not terribly hunched, but I do tend to keep my hands closer to my body. 33" feels too light, even with a 10g or so increase in head weight. 34" just works.

I’m 6’3 with long arms and I’ve been fit to 35.5” and 36” respectively over the years.

I think the grip and placement of the arms is very important. bent arms need a longer putter then a straight left arm for the same person. So when I read threads on length I think it possible someone is changing setup and different lenghts are just an outcome; not the cause. take the arm lock putters as example. very long but also having a special setup

I'm 6-0, or so my dl says. Think I might have shrunk an inch or so. Arms are pretty long, with a 6' foot wing spam.

Anyways, I'm fit for a 35 inch putter. I do choke down a couple inches. The extra length above my hands acts as a balance point my fitter told me.

tempted to start this with size matters.....

I know this has been covered before but even though I read all the pages that give advice on height, preference, and all the other factors I was wondering what the current thoughts are on putter length?

I currently have a 34" Odyssey Big T Versa and I like it but I choke way down when putting, I tried a 33" Cleveland Huntington beach and it at first felt better but then after a few putts it seemed like I tended to break my wrists and it flopped around and overall not as good as my 34", but couldn't figure out if that was in my head, the milled vs insert debate....

I am 5'9" with T rex length arms..

What do you guys game, and for those who have tried a few any deciding factors?

This might help give you a start - Click HERE -

I have putted best with 35" or 36". I'm 6'2" and I tend to putt with an upright posture.

5'8" and I currently roll a 32" that I choke down about an inch on. All about finding the right fit for you.

5'8" and use a 33" putter. I experiment every now and then with longer (33.5 or 34) but always end up pulling out the extensions and going back to 33.

Not sure I can add much of "relevance" to the discussion, since I am 6'6" tall with long arms, but here goes. Most of my putters have
been lengthened to 37-38 inch range, but, like others, I choke down an inch, sometimes two. I was fit for a Frankly Frog putter by the
late Frank Thomas, and had to argue to get him to build a 36 incher for me.....he was arguing for 35, since he wants your arms to hang
straight down from your shoulders. As soon as I got it home, I lengthened it to the 38 I wanted in the first place.

But I know whenever
I go to a golf store and putt with putters there (mostly 35's in stock), I can't miss the 3-4-5 footers that I miss regularly on the golf course
with my putters. Maybe FT was right and I need a shorter putter.....but it hurts my back to bend over long enough to practice, and I think
I have better speed control on the long putts with the longer shafts.....

I'm 6' 1" and have tried many different lengths of putters.
I found several years ago that I like to stand a little taller than a lot of people on my putts and a 35" putter fit my stroke very well.

6'1 and use 35"

35" just seems to have felt comfortable and allows me to set my elbows and stance in a good position.

Thanks all, I tried a 33 and it felt weird, think I might stick it out with the 34", feels like I have a little more control though what I really liked was the smaller grip vs my superstroke as it just seemed more precise but I hate changing too many things up.

5'11" and I use a 34.5. I feel like it allows for a free arm swing

6’1 and I use a 35 inch putter. Just seems natural for my setup. I grip down on shorter putts for a little more control.

6'2" and 35" I have a bout 2" at the top and all my putters are counterbalanced.

6’2” 35” sleeve, now use a 35” I choke down over an inch. I will on long putts not choke down but the Maltby Moment XII is the best short putt club I’ve used. Im going to try a back weight over a heavy grip sometime soon.

I’m 6’3 with long arms and I’ve been fit to 35.5” and 36” respectively over the years.

Did you notice a difference in your roll with the half inch? I'm in the same boat and have been playing with a 35" that feels like it plays shorter. After 25 practice putts in a row I start to feel it in my back.

Did you notice a difference in your roll with the half inch? I'm in the same boat and have been playing with a 35" that feels like it plays shorter. After 25 practice putts in a row I start to feel it in my back.
Nah, but it just puts me in better posture consistently. Being fit for loft has been far more effective on roll.

Nah, but it just puts me in better posture consistently. Being fit for loft has been far more effective on roll.

That's the next step for me. Unfortunately, trying to find a putter fitting on a Sat is like winning the lotto.

35 inch for me.

Back