My putter is .5* of loft, it was the SAM Putt Lab recommended loft and I see a very smooth roll.

I like 2*, but realistically I can putt just fine with 1* or 3*. I'm just not consistent enough for such small changes to matter too much.

I had to look it up. 3*

Is it right? Not sure. But the other advantages from this putter will eventually pay dividends to my game. I’ve already seen improvement in more mid range makes. So it’s probably close to correct. I don’t use shaft lean.

The thinner profile does have me lift the putter to strike the center of the ball better.

Set to -3.7* of loft. Yes, negative.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I had my Scotty ( see sig ) adjusted up 1 degree to 2.5 degrees positive overall based on a putting swing assessment I had during my recent full back fit. Below is the lfot results/recommendations.

1574311080091.png

When I recently went through a SAM lab fitting at club champion it was saying everything was pretty perfect with my putter around 2*

I've no (hands) flippin' idea.

No idea.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the club we will use on 99.9% of the holes we play probably should be a focus on things like loft. Even if we're using the club head style that's best for us, and the hosel that works, loft can still affect how we putt as much as the others.

Mine is the standard 3 degrees on my O-Works #1W

It would probably be worthwhile having a session on the SAM PuttLab that my instructor has to determine if this is still the ideal for me

I’ve never put too much thought into putter loft and that may a part of my struggles on the greens

don’t know the loft. i’ve been fit twice for a putter, and neither time did we spend any time with loft.

Depending on the type of fitting that makes sense. For instance at Some companies all putters are same loft. So spending time on that would t make much sense in my opinion.

Depending on the type of fitting that makes sense. For instance at Some companies all putters are same loft. So spending time on that would t make much sense in my opinion.

But, if the fitting suggested that you needed to adjust the loft on the putter, based on your stroke, wouldn't it be prudent to look at that, regardless whether they offered multi-loft options? Or, are putters generally not able to be adjusted?

one was club champion. the other was a seemore spi instructor who still had multiple heads/lengths/etc in his studio.

one was club champion. the other was a seemore spi instructor who still had multiple heads/lengths/etc in his studio.

Oh that is different. My Club Champion putter fitting used loft. Did you do Sam Putting Lab?

Oh that is different. My Club Champion putter fitting used loft. Did you do Sam Putting Lab?

yes at cc. no at the spi.

at cc he just handed me a few different putter shapes to try. never measured or adjusted lie or loft or length. never measured alignment with a laser or anything. it all seemed very non scientific.

Having been on a SAM, 3.0 is where my fit is.

For those of you who haven't been through a SAM Puttlab's assessment, I thought I would post mine so you can see all the different aspects that get analyzed. The end result for me was other than 1 degree more loft to make sure the dynamic strike is not hitting the ball into the green. Everything else was within spec and I didn't switch putters. This was putting with the Scotty Futura 6M with Counterbalanced grip.

The measurement requires a static alignment against a hard face to get zero point and then he had me make 7 strokes to a hole about 10 feet away ( which I sank 6 of 7 which I was impressed with myself on. :D )

This measures the putting stroke in and out and how state of the face during the putting stroke. The first stroke was a bad put but the others were pretty consistent.
1574344943820.png

This measures the face relative to path through the swing to assess how much normal rotation is included in your putting stroke. A lot of rotation, maybe a toe weighted putter would help. If its square, then a face balanced putter may be better.
1574345102676.png

This read out gives alignment information around setup before strike.
1574345185161.png

This page talks about alignment of the head over the ball to address putter length to make sure you arent to over or to far away from the swing line.
1574345261802.png

This slide shows the head at impact and address the loft converastion
1574345322315.png

This slide address lie ( heel/toe ) at impact
1574345370380.png

This slide talks to the rotation and address any grip size or type implications.
1574345498295.png

And then the finale. A recommendation on what putter type, what lenght, grip, etc. that would fit your putting stroke.
1574345560136.png

Here is a good video that we did on loft a few years ago. Most important thing about loft is that it needs to be consistent at set up. If you have a different ball positions or even your hands are in a slightly different place for your setup, sound, feel and roll will be not be consistent. Putter lofts play a major roll in a putting stroke. Sometimes golfers think the quick fix is just to adjust their loft but in long term setup and consistent plays a major role with loft.

3.5* according to specs. Although I'll admit to moving my hands more forward or back to change the roll based on conditions, which changes the loft. Not saying I'm a great putter or anything, but I can get the job done. I have way worse problems with other parts of my game.

I have no idea. I spent some time with my putter when I did my TrueSpec fitting and everything was good with it so I never had him check it nor did we monkey with it. I probably should know but I am not worrying about it.

There is a good podcast from Earn Your Edge with Cameron McCormick; he has Scotty Cameron on, and he goes into detail about how he fit Bernard Langer into a putter a few days before he won the Masters. He specifically talks about the loft / deloft process. Really cool stuff.

I have a relatively upright stance and stroke with minimal forward lean so I was fit into 2 or 2.5 degrees loft. My most recent custom putter is 2.5 degrees loft and I can tell a noticeable different between that and the standard 3.5 degrees I have on some putters. Ball gets moving much better for me with the lower loft.

What is the loft on your putter? Mine is the stock 3 degrees.
Do you have a preferred loft? During my Club Champion fitting a couple years ago they said it should be 3 degrees.
I bought a Taylormade Spider X recently but haven't been able to roll it much. Hand injury and now surgery. ;)

Back