Putter that is like my Odyssey DF 990?

oumagic

‘24 NFL Experience at Ballyhack
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.3
So I have 4 putters, but I have yet to find one that is exactly like my favorite. The others I own, are all funky designs that I use from time to time, but not close to this one. I am bringing it off the bench this weekend, but am interested in a new putter that is as close to this as possible. It would be a future purchase and not in the budget right now, but I am in the exploratory stage.

The only thing I would change on this is the length (it is 35” and I need 33” or less) and I like the feel off the face of my other putters. I have never worked on a club, but if I took this to my pro shop, could they cut it down 2” easily? I grip down toward the metal now and sometimes it catches my shirt in the swing if I am not careful.

I have seen some Ping putters that were close and I think there is a Toulon model as well that might be in the wheelhouse. Any that you think of when you see picture of my old putter?

8431d858d00f04fc8a916a1012fb396e.jpg
410962f6eaf6df70741dae02e94e7e56.jpg
796d8c54566ffeffdd6355c374c3adcf.jpg

I absolutely love how this lines up with Triple Track
d28620eff68b6a929bb997193aaa3f0e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping Sigma G B-60

B60 all the way. I’ve been putting with the same B60 for 22 yrs and I’m only 39.

I have the black DFX...loved that shape.

You should be able to shorten the shaft but it is going to change the weight and feel of the club. You might be able to compensate for it with a grip that allows a weight insert like some of the SuperStroke grips though if the feel is off for you. I hated my Cleveland HB #1 when I first got it but I changed to one of those grips and put a heavy weight in it and it feels amazing now. At one point, I had a Scotty Laguna, Scotty Newport, Odyssey #7, and a few others as well as the Cleveland. Once I changed that grip on that HB#1, I never touched any of the other more expensive putters again.

I don't have any putter suggestions but man it's cool to see another DF 990. Still have mine (first putter ever used) and sometimes will roll a few downstairs to see how it feels. Almost want to take it on the course, but a Stroke Lab shafted putter is staying in the bag!

I really don't mind playing it still except for the length and the insert has smoothed down a lot over the years. Red Ball putter is in timeout after last week's performance. I feel that I can find shapes that are close, but then not the alignment marks I am accustomed to. All of my putters have lots of alignment help...

It's rare (at least for me) to find a putter you truly love. If I were you, I'd look around the Internet for a used version of the same putter you have, then ship it off to someone to help modify it for you. If you shorten it to 33", you may want to add some weight to the head. You could do this by either having a replacement insert made out of some sort of metal, which will both add weight and change the feel, or you could just add weight plugs to the sole and live with the feel of the insert.

I really don't mind playing it still except for the length and the insert has smoothed down a lot over the years. Red Ball putter is in timeout after last week's performance. I feel that I can find shapes that are close, but then not the alignment marks I am accustomed to. All of my putters have lots of alignment help...

Have you considered calling Callaway/Odyssey to ask if they can res haft and recondition the putter?

I think you can find a putter with the general head shape but the alignment marks you prefer likely will be a tough find in a blade style.

That was modeled after the original the Ping B60 (one of my favorites). Another putter that looks a bit different but putts very similar is the Scotty Cameron Squareback.

That’s basically a Ping B60.

I also suggest you look at the Cleveland Huntington Beach #10. Whilst it has a different face with no insert, it has the same alignment lines and a plumber’s neck like that. I’d also think it would be a tad more forgiving than yours.

I have to say I love mine, and as my cheapest putter it’s as good as all of the others.

https://www.clevelandgolf.com/en/putters-/huntington-beach-10-putter/MHB10.html

Thanks for the feedback. There seem to be a couple of good options. For now, I am just playing the old putter and not altering it. If I do cut it down 2 inches, I will probably need to add some weight to the head. I think the thing I like about it most is the three lines with the Triple Track ball. In fact, looking at my other putters, I never realized that they all have three (or more) lines on the alignment. I guess it is something that just suits my eye.

c0b3ce3aec6fabbf79bf926300b316df.jpg

I would be surprised if Odyssey doesn’t have a Triple Track putter alignment in R&D.

If you're open to considering a current model or a prior version of a current shape, it's hard to imagine a putter giving more alignment help than the Marxman. Stroke Lab version:

putters-2019-marxman-stroke-lab_hero.png

It is has really helped me.

You might like the 7 from the O-Works line, too. It has the 3 lines you like:

putters-2017-o-works-black-7s-ss____2.png

Callaway pre-owned has a nice selection.

If you're open to considering a current model or a prior version of a current shape, it's hard to imagine a putter giving more alignment help than the Marxman. Stroke Lab version:

putters-2019-marxman-stroke-lab_hero.png

It is has really helped me.

You might like the 7 from the O-Works line, too. It has the 3 lines you like:

putters-2017-o-works-black-7s-ss____2.png

Callaway pre-owned has a nice selection.

I love the Marxman and I would suggest if you are thinking about getting it that you upgrade to the EXO. Then you will not be regretting that you didn't do it earlier.

Last edited:
I love the Marxman and I would suggest if you are thinking about getting it that you upgrade to the EXO. Then you will not me regretting that you didn't do it earlier.

I'm certainly thinking about it.

I do appreciate everyone's help. I am moving in the direction of refinishing my putter. I really like how it putts and it has been with me so long, that I just want it brought back. Not that I will always use it, but I definitely always gravitate back to it.

So I think I am going to restore this one and might exchange my Red Ball tomorrow for something else. There are some good options listed here and I am going to take a look. Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited:
pmm21 ,

I did not exchange the Red Ball, but did send my putter off to get refinished. It has been a tough project for the company (pmm21 did it for me with his company, Kick Ass Clubs) but he sent me some pics last night and I am super excited to get my old Odyssey back. I am only including one pic for now and will post more once I get it.

A6ACA11C-1D64-45B6-A3B3-2DB4246DDD92.jpeg

Update on this thread: It has been a long and difficult project for the company, kickassclubs.com It has been so long that pmm21 even changed his forum name to @Space Bandito ;)

The man never gave up. He probably has double in time and materials on the project than I paid him. The project posed a number of difficulties due to the insert that sometimes seemed insurmountable. In the end, I received two odyssey putters because he was worried he messed up the first one. He also threw in a marker that is AWESOME because he felt bad for how long it has taken. I am including some pictures. I have only ever done this one putter restoration project, but if I ever do another, I will only use this company. What a great company to work with!
17A7F11E-CE73-483E-9697-41DD0A064B99.jpeg
4987F9F8-7D0E-4848-8752-65D2109294E0.jpeg
7B029C10-D933-4C18-BB22-0CA22DDB1507.jpeg
E6060D27-4463-4181-82D2-3E4E7F5A1173.jpeg
3486B4DD-D007-4B97-A4D7-14DB7570EAD8.jpeg

Update on this thread: It has been a long and difficult project for the company, kickassclubs.com It has been so long that pmm21 even changed his forum name to @Space Bandito ;)

The man never gave up. He probably has double in time and materials on the project than I paid him. The project posed a number of difficulties due to the insert that sometimes seemed insurmountable. In the end, I received two odyssey putters because he was worried he messed up the first one. He also threw in a marker that is AWESOME because he felt bad for how long it has taken. I am including some pictures. I have only ever done this one putter restoration project, but if I ever do another, I will only use this company. What a great company to work with!
View attachment 8918276
View attachment 8918275
View attachment 8918274
View attachment 8918273
View attachment 8918272
Oh fudge! Did I forget to wipe the sole of that one with some acetone? I think I was in such a rush to get it back to you I overlooked it. Sorry!

Oh fudge! Did I forget to wipe the sole of that one with some acetone? I think I was in such a rush to get it back to you I overlooked it. Sorry!
No worries, it might just be my photograph skills. It looks great!

Edited: I did look closer and cleaned it up with acetone in 30 seconds. no problem!

Last edited:
Any Rossie

1576003813703.jpeg

So I have 4 putters, but I have yet to find one that is exactly like my favorite. The others I own, are all funky designs that I use from time to time, but not close to this one. I am bringing it off the bench this weekend, but am interested in a new putter that is as close to this as possible. It would be a future purchase and not in the budget right now, but I am in the exploratory stage.

The only thing I would change on this is the length (it is 35” and I need 33” or less) and I like the feel off the face of my other putters. I have never worked on a club, but if I took this to my pro shop, could they cut it down 2” easily? I grip down toward the metal now and sometimes it catches my shirt in the swing if I am not careful.

I have seen some Ping putters that were close and I think there is a Toulon model as well that might be in the wheelhouse. Any that you think of when you see picture of my old putter?

8431d858d00f04fc8a916a1012fb396e.jpg
410962f6eaf6df70741dae02e94e7e56.jpg
796d8c54566ffeffdd6355c374c3adcf.jpg

I absolutely love how this lines up with Triple Track
d28620eff68b6a929bb997193aaa3f0e.jpg

I just bought one for 30$, can’t wait to get it and try it out. Been using a ping Craz-e putter for a long time but I’m sick of bulky putters. I’m glad I read your thread! Very cool

I just bought one for 30$, can’t wait to get it and try it out. Been using a ping Craz-e putter for a long time but I’m sick of bulky putters. I’m glad I read your thread! Very cool
An odyssey DF 990 is what I bought, forgot to mention that part !

Back