Putters? How do you decide?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
I've been jumping around from putter to putter for what seems like for years. Even after finding what seemed to be the perfect flatstick for my game, I kept looking. Part of that has a lot to do with wanting to try new things and see what else is out there. But, it got me thinking anyway... What draws me to a putter? For me, a lot of it has to do with design. I had the original #7, and for me, the reason I first picked that up was that it was a "cool" looking style, and yes, it was easy to pick the ball up with.

I moved around to different styles, different finishes, different lengths, etc. But always find myself leaning toward a mallet style putter, as I feel it just suits my eye a bit better and "feels" right in hand.

So, with that, I ask... What about a putter catches your eye? How do you decide on what you game?

I'm a blade guy for whatever reason and I had never experienced a milled putter until this year. Now I'm hooked I just like the feel compared to the insert. And my putting has improved drastically in the past year

I'm a blade guy, never experienced a milled putter until this year. Now I'm hooked I just like the feel compared to the insert. And my putting has improved drastically in the past year
That was something that I struggled with, I liked the style of a blade, but the mallet just seemed to give me a bit more confidence.

And I do want to get a putter fitting someday cause I feel like improvements can still be made

I found a great putter this year and really improved my putting yet I still try others and seem to regress. The most important thing to me is results yet I never seem to be satisfied. I would much rather spend my money on lessons but finding people that know about the golf swing around here is challenging enough, never mind something like putting.

I don't really have an answer.. My putter decision making has been controlled chaos lately. Looking forward to hearing how you guys decide.

I like heel shafted mallets. Blades, especially plumber neck blades don't set up visually for me. Always looks like the ball is towards the heel. I gamed a two ball for years (I might have the first model that came out), with the Squareback in there on an off, and now the Corza. I honestly think I could get used to just about any mallet of the Corza/Two Ball variety.

Kevin

I played blades exclusively since I started golfing, but went to a mallet for my Morgan Cup putter. I had to adjust my stroke for it, but now it has displaced the SeeMore as my putter of choice.

I like heel shafted mallets. Blades, especially plumber neck blades don't set up visually for me. Always looks like the ball is towards the heel. I gamed a two ball for years (I might have the first model that came out), with the Squareback in there on an off, and now the Corza. I honestly think I could get used to just about any mallet of the Corza/Two Ball variety.

Kevin
You have been playing that one since the first MC, correct? One of my favorite putters I have in the collection.

I played blades exclusively since I started golfing, but went to a mallet for my Morgan Cup putter. I had to adjust my stroke for it, but now it has displaced the SeeMore as my putter of choice.
And you feel you putt better with the 7?

You have been playing that one since the first MC, correct? One of my favorite putters I have in the collection.

I have, and have putted better than I have in years with it. I flows through the ball for me, especially on mid range putts. I make more 10' to 20' birdies than I ever did.

Kevin

I have, and have putted better than I have in years with it. I flows through the ball for me, especially on mid range putts. I make more 10' to 20' birdies than I ever did.

Kevin

The reason I bought the Corza was how much I liked the look of it and how it setup for me. May need to take it back out for a round.

The reason I bought the Corza was how much I liked the look of it and how it setup for me. May need to take it back out for a round.

I like the look, too, but the weighting and balance seem to work for me. It's a putter you can hold lightly in your hand, yet still hit solidly. I can't remember how much, but I had 10 or 20 extra grams added to mine when I ordered. It's 360 or 370 I want to say.

Kevin

Alignment is my first priority. The easier to align the better. So I don't lean towards any "style" of putter per se...I like blades and mallets...but if the alignment aid is easy to see and show your line, I'm there. Then it comes down to feel...I am not as fond of softer inserts. I tend to leave way too many putts short with them.

Alignment is my first priority. The easier to align the better. So I don't lean towards any "style" of putter per se...I like blades and mallets...but if the alignment aid is easy to see and show your line, I'm there. Then it comes down to feel...I am not as fond of softer inserts. I tend to leave way too many putts short with them.

You should try a Scotty. They're clicky, trendy, and you wouldn't leave putts short.

Kevin

You should try a Scotty. They're clicky, trendy, and you wouldn't leave putts short.

Kevin

Check my sig, Esox. :alien:

Kevin

This took like 6 posts longer then I thought it would. Disappointed Kevin.

Check my sig, Esox. :alien:

Oh, oh. You're in trouble. Is that why you have it in a spoiler? To hide your Scotty fandom? The anit-Scottys were raging this morning.

Kevin

Oh, oh. You're in trouble. Is that why you have it in a spoiler? To hide your Scotty fandom? The anit-Scottys were raging this morning.

Kevin

Hahaha, no, I have it in spoiler so that I don't take up a lot of room in my sig. I like this Scotty because I finished it myself, and I enjoy the milled feel and alignment.

Kevin

I was so mad I could hardly see.

For me it takes some time for me to figure out if it is right or not. I started out this year with the Nike Method Core 003. I liked it compared to my 10 year old Odyssey White Hot because the insert was much hotter. After a while, the novelty wore off and I realized that I was just drilling the ball through my lines and my putting was suffering tremendously. Came across the Odyssey Black Tour Designs Wide and it was on sale. I have never used a milled putter before so I gave it a shot. Immediately I noticed the difference between the insert and the milled face. Reading reviews and talking with Canadan, it appears that the milled face on the TD Black is one of the hotter faces but compared to the Niked Method Core it was quite muted for me. I guess it is somewhat of a happy medium. I am sure something else will strike my eye at some point but I generally need quite a few rounds with a putter to figure out what, if anything, I need to change and what putter might help with that change.

I was so mad I could hardly see.

Yep, and we were calling everyone else names and all kinds of chaos. It escalated rather quickly.

For me its the lines of the putter, I also tend to lean towards center shafted and flow neck putters. I'm a hopeless putter addict, there will never be just one for me. There are far too many fit my eye, and its a problem I embrace.

I like the weight on a mallet, and every blade I've tried I just can't square up consistently, so I just ignore them now. Given that, I try out every putter I can get my hands on, and hit as many balls as I can. I'm firmly in the 'indian more than arrows' camp, especially putting, so I pick the one that feels the best to me under the assumption that if I'm happy with feel I have no excuse. I've had the same putter for a few years now, and in the past year I've really tried a lot but nothing has come close so I don't feel the need to change. Ideally I'd like to get fit for a putter, but as my putting has gotten better and better recently, no sense spending the money.

since i picked the game up about 3 years ago, I've used a blade putter until about two months ago; I like the traditional shape of a blade, but for me, I was just too inconsistent with a blade. I went to my local shop and tried a wide range of putters from Scotty's, Taylormade's, NeverCompromise, Rife, etc, etc. The one that stood out stylistically and feel wise for me was the Odyssey Metal X #7 - I got fitted, and the feel, weight, and overall confidence I got with it in the store has translated onto the course, and I've been making more 10-12 footers than ever before. I've reduced my 3 putts to about 2 per round now - couldn't be happier

For me, I love the heel shafted mid-mallet with single alignment. I am very visual and the longer simple alignment line allow me to visualize my line from the hole into my putter line. That is the single biggest thing for me in a putter, being able to visualize the line coming out of my putter.

Back