Putters? How do you decide?

eenie meenie miney mo usually works pretty well for me. i honestly couldn't tell you i have tried to get so many different styles and options over the last year just to try different things out. There are def times a putter just catches my eye and i have to have it. But i don't don't collect just one style of putter or anything. and as far as what works best for me its hard to explain and i can't tell you specifics but there are times that a putter just fits my eye really well and i usually roll those the best.

Putters are one of those things that just boils down to personal preference. I swear it does. If there's one club that performs better due to sheer confidence, it's the putter. I love heel shafted putters but I can't keep the face square on them so I just suck at putting with them. 3 years ago, I made fun of mallets. Hated them. Now, that's all I've putted in the last 8 months it seems. For me, it's a balance thing. When I have a putter that I feel like I can take back and through without struggling to keep the face square, it's a winner.

Putters are like other equipment on THP though, as soon as we see someone we like/trust get something new and rave about it, interest gets piqued. It's just how things work here. It's hard to be content with anything to be honest.

1) I must have a solid alignment line
2) I prefer a mallet as I feel it stabilizes my stroke and will help me to avoid swaying throughout (although the weight is nearly the same on many so this may be in my head)
3) I prefer SeeMore's at this point as then there is no guess work regarding if I am setup correctly with ball position / body alignment, etc
4) I also prefer CS over heel as I feel it "evens" out everything so to speak

I am still rolling the Si1 for now, but still dream of the mFGP2 - great overall balance without being too big of a mallet IMO.

Great idea for a thread War! I often wondered what went through your head when purchasing your many different putters.

I am mallet, mid mallet, 8802 kinda guy. Also a big fan of the center shafted variety. They just fit my eye and I like a heavier putter. I'm not a collector but must always have a back up in my second bag. But the backup has to be as strong as the gamer. Right now at this moment that is not the case. At least until the end of October.

For me visual is a huge thing. My putter just seems to work a little better when I like what I see. That being said results speak for themselves so Ive made some exceptions to the rule. Like the Spider Ghost and the SeeMore's. Im not really a fan of how the SeeMore putters look but they perform as good if not better then any other putter out there. Putters are probably the one thing in my bag that I can move in and out pretty easily and then spend a week or two adjusting.

The putter is one club that I find I don't often think about replacing too often. I've had my current putter for about 10 years now, and I have so much confidence in it, that I just don't really think about replacing it. I personally don't like putters that have a lot of "bling" on them. What I mean by that is the special inserts, or on the mallet putters some have an excess of visual stuff going on with them. I've tried out other putters throughout the years, but I've never been able to kick my putter out of the bag for good, infact I think the longest I've gone with another putter is 3 weeks before going back.

One thing I would really like to try is a flow-neck putter with the similar blade style as my current putter. I've always gone with the plumbers neck because of habit, but I've never fully tried out a flow-neck style putter. That's one thing that's on the top of my "to-do" list.

For me, its looks and performance. It has to be an Anser-style putter (its the style that Ive always putted best with). Also, it boils down to how well I roll the ball with it.

So, with that, I ask... What about a putter catches your eye? How do you decide on what you game?

I used to switch putters all the time. Mallets, blades, different necks, different offsets, etc. I decided to work with a putting instuctor and we analyzed my stroke and determine what best fit me. Didn't come down to mallet or blade it came down to offset and hosel position.

I have a more upright stance so we started with a hosel that is closer to the heel and 1/2 shaft offset. Tested putters by putting a dime about 18" in front of my ball and tried a variety of stroke lengths to determine which putter allowed me to consistently roll the ball over the center of the dime. Since then I have flattened the lie to 67* and verified the putter loft.

The resulting putter has worked better than any putter I have ever had in my bag. I continue with the dime drill to ensure I can hit my line consistently. If I can hit the line I can then learn to understand break. Now I have a bunch of putters sitting in an extra bag that I need to get on the swap shop :D

This is a great thread, what feedback can you offer

I love the look of a flow neck. And blades, except plumber's necks. Those I struggle with. Too bad Phil cursed that #8 putter, it's still my favorite I've ever seen. I think I'm going to make the switch back to it. Maybe I'll try the claw.

Great time for this thread. I just went out and picked up a putter. For me I rolled a bunch big mallets mid mallets and blades. What I found works best for me and what I look for is a centre shaft and blade like. I like being able to feel the head as I swing so having it a little dense but not like a heavy putter those don't work. It needs to fit my eye and not have a lot of markings when looking down on it I find them distracting. Of course the overall feel of the ball coming off the face is the deciding factor after I have found a few that have the other qualities.

For my most recent putter, I did a putter fitting, and bought exactly what he told me to. It ended up being a Yes blade style flow neck putter that was significantly longer and with a flatter lie angle than what I had been playing. It has turned me into a better putter.

My next putter will be my Morgan Cup putter, this is an area I don't see me jumping around too much from here on out.

I currently putt with a LH ghost spider and like it a ton. I got it because I made more putts with it in the shop. Last putter was a two-ball and like it as well. Always a mallet for me. I need all the forgiveness I can get. Had my 2-ball shaft bent 3* flatter and worked even better for me. I tried to have the ghost spider shaft bent flatter but it wouldn't fit in the machine the guy used to bend it. So I just try to make sure the putter is square with the ground on the bottom, its a little more up-right than I like but it works pretty well.

I am also a open-close putter which most say you should use a blade for that type of stroke but I prefer a mallet.

This is a tough one. I really love my metal x # 7 - however, I know my SeeMore is making me better. The SeeMore is in the bag for the rest of the season but MX could always make a guest appearance.

This is a tough one. I really love my metal x # 7 - however, I know my SeeMore is making me better. The SeeMore is in the bag for the rest of the season but MX could always make a guest appearance.
EXACT same boat I am in, WCBM. I love my #7, but I am a better putter with my SeeMore.

I have gone back and forth between mallets and blades through my time golfing. I still have my old (near ancient) Proformance 507 Taylor Made. The golf store I used to patronize at the time had a good club maker and we made it fit really well. Then I got a Scotty Cameron Caliete mallet. (it got stolen).

When I got back golfing I played with the old TM until July and then picked up an Itsy Bitsy Spider. This year I kept leaving everything short with it so I went and tried about everything in the store. Having been a member here I realized your perfect putter may not be where you expect it to be.

I came out with a Yes Callie 12 in white. Less than two weeks later I shot a personal best. I picked it because it was easy to align, liked the look, and last but not least because I tried it in 4 different stores on 4 different fake greens and it was easy to control speed and line with it. I guess probably more than any other club this is a the feel club and if it doesn't feel right, its time to go find one that does.

I like mid-mallets and flow-neck blades. Putt best with a center shaft mid-mallet it appears.

I like mid-mallets and flow-neck blades. Putt best with a center shaft mid-mallet it appears.

And that's what I keep coming back to as well

Honestly, I can get around fine with the flow neck and I haven't tried a CS blade, but results are better with the mid-mallet. Regardless, I have absolutely no intention of switching right now. If I'm not putting well right now it has nothing to do with the putter. I know that I can put some balls in the hole if I do my part.

Ive been in golf for about a year now and im hoping to get a new putter soon. I've really only had one putter and it's some oddesey mallet. What would be a good cheap putter to start off getting?

13 shooting high 90s!

Go to your local golf shop and just hit a lot of putter.

I would say a Cleveland brand putter or Odyssey

Ive got face milled mallet and blade putters and i like both. I prefer the look at address of a mallet but the blade rolls truer on quick surfaces.

ive used quite a few in the past couple years but i finally found a scotty that i absolutely love wont ever change it except for a newer one

I started with a blade years ago, and when I got back to golf two years ago, I found my self with a Corza Ghost Mallet...I didn't know what I was doing, I just thought it looked cool. Now, not so much. Back to blades. I love a simple Anser style putter, got three at the moment, basically they are all so alike that I can just pick a color, don't have to worry about more. I think looks, weight and confidence is what makes me choose a putter.

Back