Usually read from behind the ball and then take a look from the other side of the hole. Sometimes set up and look at my line if I’m still not sure.
I like that you're looking from both sides. My home course is notorious for having different looks one way vs the other.

I'm with Snick. I think it's just one of those days... we all have them!

Usually read from behind the ball and then take a look from the other side of the hole. Sometimes set up and look at my line if I’m still not sure.

Friendly advice, start to identify the low point of your putt on the green (if you have time), walk to it and see what it looks like from that point. Helps seeing the break and which way the ball will being pulled towards. Has helped tremendously for me the last few years.

Had been having a rough go of things lately with the flat stick, so went back to staring at the cup instead of the ball this past weekend and found some pretty good success with it again. Two rounds and saw low 30’s in both. Don’t know if I will stick to it all season but it felt good for the two rounds so far.

I'm really not sure how to go about it. I could go with my normal Kevin strategy of buying blind and hoping for the best but the 75 or so putters I've gone through the last few years tells me that may not be the best bet.

I may go to our Austads store this week and see if they can help. I'm not really sold on their fitting abilities but it's my only real option here. I'm not even sure if they even have arm lock options to test. The closest Club Champion is about 3 hours away so maybe I could do that at some point.

I guess I'm not sure what to do. I hate spending a bunch of money on something so different but I'd really like to get more consistent at putting. Putting used to be a m strength but it's been pretty sketchy for awhile now.

In my armlock experiment I eventually realized a fitting+ is necessary. It can be an awkward feeling setup and as I started to adjust setup to find more comfort and feel, I quickly realized the putter was not a fit. But at the same time I needed to spend time with an armlock to start to find my setup preference. I started more Bryson and would have ended up more Kuch. Either way the consistency was fantastic, and mid and short putts were so good. Longer putts are where I needed to adapt. I think the armlock method is one that each of us would need to explore before a fitting even makes sense. If that makes sense. :)

I don’t know if I would like the roll off the face, but the new midlock putters from evnroll look very interesting. On my old evnroll I felt like I had to driver swing the thing on long putts. It was an early gen, and maybe they have improved.

I had 34 and 36 putt rounds the last couple times out, and was contemplating sending the putter to a time out and giving something else a go.
Gave it one more chance, and had a 28 putt round.
Now I’m conflicted again. The 2ball stays, but the garage Austin is always lurking to get back to the course...

Do I need to change my putting grip?

wait like change hand position or change the grip on the putter?

what you got going on now?
Standard reverse overlap. Just haven’t been blown away by most of my recent putting performances. Just subscribed to GolfLogix because I definitely felt like I had some misreads in my last round.
997B8EEC-CCB1-4F2C-BB01-C511C1075469.jpeg

Were you pushing/pulling the putts? If it was misreads, I don't know how much changing the grip would help. (High cap disclaimer here.)

I know I'm a far outlier in this area, but I use the same interlock grip that I use with every other club. I consider myself a decent putter. (High cap disclaimer here.)

Freshly sanded and very dry greens last night. Rodeo ride for the ball, and I couldn't find the speed. My growing confidence took a step backward.
I would say you have a good excuse. You will be fine, keep your head up.

Were you pushing/pulling the putts? If it was misreads, I don't know how much changing the grip would help. (High cap disclaimer here.)

I know I'm a far outlier in this area, but I use the same interlock grip that I use with every other club. I consider myself a decent putter. (High cap disclaimer here.)
That’s the problem! I felt like I was putting solid rolls on it. But I’m in my head now and can’t be stopped!

That’s the problem! I felt like I was putting solid rolls on it. But I’m in my head now and can’t be stopped!
Sit down. Tell Dr. Hammy all about it...

When my putting goes astray, I like to just go to a practice green, and do the standard "Make 10 two footers, then 10 three footers..." just relaxing mentally. Not thinking about the grip, stroke, etc. Just rolling balls and trying to feel it.

I don't think you have anything profoundly wrong, you just got a bit of antsy-ness. This too shall pass.

sounds like you need a new putter. :unsure:

(this is my solution to everything, not good advice usually)
My name is Hamfist and I endorse this message.

Reading this thread it occurred to me when I really want to make a putt I look at the putt from both sides of the hole and sometimes you see something from the other side of the hole you don't see from where the ball is. I am going to make an effort to do that more because lol I want to make them all and at the end of the day it should help. Usually its just don't want to slow play down but whether its for birdie or bogey every putt counts.

Last time I played my swing was off. I am not sure I hit any greens at all. Just a bad day with allergies bothering me and low energy. On the other hand, I think I had 8 putts total in the first 6 holes. Kinda lost track after that as I was frustrated with the rest of my game but yeah flat stick is working right now.

Its amazing how different a putt can look when you are over the ball compared to down the line or perpendicular to the line. My friends that miss putts the worst as far as line goes, miss because they don't get a good view from off the ball. When I hear, "What was that? I didn't see that break..." I'll think, "Did you even try to read the putt?"

Its amazing how different a putt can look when you are over the ball compared to down the line or perpendicular to the line. My friends that miss putts the worst as far as line goes, miss because they don't get a good view from off the ball. When I hear, "What was that? I didn't see that break..." I'll think, "Did you even try to read the putt?"
My favorite is my buddies who wonder why they 3 putt after blowing it 5 feet past the hole and neglecting to read the comebacker.

Last time I played with a buddy we had the same exact putt with his 3’ out and mine 5’. I drain it and he asks what it did. I told him it moves just a tad left to right but just aim inside the cup on the left side. He proceeds to miss it 3” out on the left side. :facepalm:

Last time I played with a buddy we had the same exact putt with his 3’ out and mine 5’. I drain it and he asks what it did. I told him it moves just a tad left to right but just aim inside the cup on the left side. He proceeds to miss it 3” out on the left side. :facepalm:
I don't recall playing with you. He must have been channeling me.

Back