Putting Banter

How much do you really toy with different necks and shapes? Think it's a head thing? (your head, not the putter head haha)

Honestly rarely ever. I don’t switch out gear very often (I know that’s like a sin around here). Just always loved the typical 1W and once I switched to the 1Ws with more toe hang, I’ve felt like I needed more arc. Then when I attempt a SBST method, seems like the face closes slightly and I pull it left.

....well, maybe it is a head thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played a lot of last with a different putter, and it never felt quite right, I like the look and the face, but I think it was just too long.

Switching back to the 2 ball is like putting that old comfy hoodie on, the one your wife says you’re not allowed to wear in public when she’s with you. It’s seriously short, and that hear shape just works very well for me. I’m putting much better than I did last year, alignment and speed control are both easier. I’m not sure if it’s the length, or the head shape, or if it’s all in my head.

Decided to get fit for a putter. Saw the slow roll camera video of how my ball slightly bounced 3-4 times right at impact which altered the line (especially with sloped putts) and also affects distance control. Fitter bent it from 3.25 to 1.25° lie angle and I saw an immediate roll right off of impact. I averaged 34 putts a round prior to getting fit and am averaging 30 putts a round post fit.

I have been putting fairly well considering my limited number of rounds this year after moving into a new house. I have been fighting what I assume is an alignment issue and missing a couple inches right. My speed control has been very good so I have started to get on my line then shuffle slightly left and making sure I get that "picture" in my head. It does seem to be helping especially in the 5-10' range.

I feel like I’ve been putting really well lately, but not a lot of putts have been falling in general. I’ve either been getting the line right and leaving it inches short or burning the edges or putting it right next to the hole. I’m close enough I don’t want to make any adjustments and I didn’t have a 3-putt my last round with 30 total putts. I’m kind of at the point where it feels like I could just start pouring them in any day.

Where did you do the fitting? Did you try different head shapes and necks to see what helped your alignment and fit your stroke best?
Decided to get fit for a putter. Saw the slow roll camera video of how my ball slightly bounced 3-4 times right at impact which altered the line (especially with sloped putts) and also affects distance control. Fitter bent it from 3.25 to 1.25° lie angle and I saw an immediate roll right off of impact. I averaged 34 putts a round prior to getting fit and am averaging 30 putts a round post fit.

Struggling right now, something with alignment and speed. Total noob here, so working on tempo and length of arc, which has helped control my unusual ability to one putt from here to Egypt. Jman posted up about eye dominance, so I'm wondering if that might be it.

Trying to hold off doing anything crazy/major until my lesson at the end of the month.

Took a lesson a few months ago and realized I was swinging with my arms and not my shoulders. Everything was not staying together during the swing. Still working on distance control but my lines have been WAY improved since then.

I've been putting very consistently, the backyard putting green has been a godsend for my stroke.

And as to my particular action, I found that practicing mostly on the fastest portions of the green has helped immensely. It's forced me to very much smooth out my putting stroke. On the fastest putts, any handsy action or pop to the stroke can be met with disaster or just wild inconsistency.

With a smoother action now grooved, it transitions very well to regular or slower speed putts/greens for me. I've found my lag putting for example, the longer ones that I simply cannot practice at home, have become enormously more consistent. I can only attribute that to my ironed-out motion.

Took a lesson a few months ago and realized I was swinging with my arms and not my shoulders. Everything was not staying together during the swing. Still working on distance control but my lines have been WAY improved since then.
I think I've was swinging a little too much w the arms on shorties I was trying to bang in. Was pulling them hard. Have to trust the set up and shoulder swing. I blame a short layoff for that

My stroke feels really good right now, I feel confident over any length putt. Funny, just a month ago, I was struggling with my speed, leaving everything short or blowing by the hole.

Got my putter fit yesterday, and I think that will help a lot just mentally for me more so than the putter itself. Burned so many edges in the round following, but think that was more due to slightly off green reading.

Good thread idea

Last year I had a 3 week stretch where I couldn't miss. I'd never experienced it before. mid 20s putts per round kind of stretch. It was awesome.

My performance this year has been better overall than last but haven't had that hot streak. Lately I'm hitting my lines perfectly, pace is great, but they're not falling. Lip outs 6 to 8 times per round. I'm close. just ready to see them drop already!

My stroke has been pretty solid and I love my putter. I haven't always been able to marry speed to line but I think that's probably normal for the lower volume of practice and play I have had. I am pretty confident that I'll get it dialed in pretty quickly when things setttle down and I'm able to get more time on the practice green.

Struggling right now, something with alignment and speed. Total noob here, so working on tempo and length of arc, which has helped control my unusual ability to one putt from here to Egypt. Jman posted up about eye dominance, so I'm wondering if that might be it.

Trying to hold off doing anything crazy/major until my lesson at the end of the month.

I’ve been playing for the better part of 28 years and I’m still not very good. Practice and repetition will work wonders on the greens.

Anyone else seem to be "feast or famine" with my putter? As of late my stroke has either been can't miss or an abject disaster.

Made some very subtle changes today and sure enough my lines got much better. 12 putts on the front 9. 14 putts on the back 9. Some really good saves as well.

It felt great to get the confidence back so quickly. I am eager to see if it bleeds into my round tomorrow or not.

Putting was good today. Made most of my 6-10’ putts and speed especially on long putts was spot on that loft tap ins or makeable second putt.

Putting was good today. Made most of my 6-10’ putts and speed especially on long putts was spot on that loft tap ins or makeable second putt.

I think people undervalue distance control. I've always viewed it as one of the most important aspects of a putt. Yeah, birdies are great, but three putt pars are the wooooorst.

I think people undervalue distance control. I've always viewed it as one of the most important aspects of a putt. Yeah, birdies are great, but three putt pars are the wooooorst.

3 jacks suck and can go fly a kite for par. It’s one of the things a past instructor had me work on and something I got away from in my practice. 3’ circle with 5 balls setup at 4 different clock locations starting at 12’ back to 24’ with the goal to have at least half finish in the circle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During last weeks rounds in Orlando I was putting very mediocre but I blame green reading more than anything else. My distance control was fine and I was hitting a solid percentage of my lines but I just wasn't making putts.

Today I was back on the home course with grass that I actually understand and breaks that I know how to read - and it showed. Lipped out an 8 ft. birdie putt on #1 but drilled a 20 ft birdie on #2. Everything seemed to be scaring the hole today and culminated with a 15 ft par save on #11 and a 30 ft birdie bomb on #12.

I'm typically more comfortable rolling my putts with something just north of "dying speed" which works on fast bent greens, but not so effective on that Bermuda nonsense.

We played a scramble today and where on really slow greens, but still had a good day of putting. I was the 2nd to putt every time and it was 6 holes before the 3rd guy every had to putt so was pretty happy.

During last weeks rounds in Orlando I was putting very mediocre but I blame green reading more than anything else. My distance control was fine and I was hitting a solid percentage of my lines but I just wasn't making putts.

Today I was back on the home course with grass that I actually understand and breaks that I know how to read - and it showed. Lipped out an 8 ft. birdie putt on #1 but drilled a 20 ft birdie on #2. Everything seemed to be scaring the hole today and culminated with a 15 ft par save on #11 and a 30 ft birdie bomb on #12.

I'm typically more comfortable rolling my putts with something just north of "dying speed" which works on fast bent greens, but not so effective on that Bermuda nonsense.

That putter is too nice not to be draining bombs.

I've started putting left hand low, it has helped my short game tremendously. For me it feels like it locks my shoulders it and forces me to rotate my spine. It also helps my feel, when I miss a putt it's a 12-15" out, not 4-5 feet. There was a slight adjustment to start, but I'm really digging the results. Wish I had done this in June when I was playing good golf with my irons/woods..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Early in the year my putting was very inconsistent. I have a tendency to overanalyze my stroke and that makes it worse. I switched to an older putter I had and also realized my right hand crept too far to the left. I made a slight change and I've been putting great for the last month. Pick my line and speed, rock my shoulders and if I miss, it's not by much. The less I think about stroke, the better I putt.

Back