Never stop learning!

Today I learned that the twisty neck (that so many boutique makes now produce) was created by Scotty Cameron to show just how soft the carbon steel used in his putters actually is.

Full disclosure: I want this putter

A005356a.JPG

Here's the best putting advice I ever got which I rely on to this day.

1. Straight back and straight through.
2. The quality of the strike is huge! Smooth acceleration into the ball with an AoA that gets the ball rolling immediately will keep the ball online so you hole more putts.
3. On short putts, face angle is king. On long putts, distance control. But the best putters always focus on both.

I enjoy putting. I don't know how that is possible. I had zero putting confidence for so long. I've taken to heart the focus, dedication, and skill practice that more accomplished THPers put into that part of the game. I paid attention. I actually learned some things. I put in the time and effort. I am seeing better outcomes. I enjoy this part of the game. Gratitude for THP.

I'm making a major swing change and figured I might do the same with my putting stroke. My brother was talking with me on the putting green at a recent scramble tournament and he showed me something that really resonated. He said he had been working on closing the toe slightly after impact... that's it. Well when I tried it, I saw immediate improvement in the roll and I was able to start the ball online much more effectively. I putted really well the 2 days of the tournament.

I further started looking at putting vids on YouTube - this one made a ton of sense to me:

I further started looking at putting vids on YouTube - this one made a ton of sense to me:

i messed around with this for a bit. didn’t really stick though

it dawned on me today that earlier this year i was gaming a slant neck putter. and very recently i was gaming a flow neck putter. now i’m in a double bend. pretty crazy, and now i will only consider a double bend.

it dawned on me today that earlier this year i was gaming a slant neck putter. and very recently i was gaming a flow neck putter. now i’m in a double bend. pretty crazy, and now i will only consider a double bend.
It's amazing the confidence you can gain when you get fit properly.

i messed around with this for a bit. didn’t really stick though

I played 5 times on this recent trip to Houston and putted this way the whole time. At the Tournament Course at Golf Club of Houston (where they play the Houston Open until next year), I putted like a pro! 5 birdies and several pars from 6' - 15'. On 2 putts over 35', I lipped out. It was the best I've putted since I was a teenager!

I did have one round at Atascocita where I missed a bunch of makeable putts, but realized I had excess movement in my stroke. Practicing with just my right hand really ingrains the feeling I want during the stroke. So now my preshot routine is to make practice strokes with just my right hand before I address the ball; then I address the ball with only my right hand on the putter and finally get into the final stance. I'm pretty stoked about the change.

I want to go a full season putting 1 handed. I seem to have betteraim and distance control but really don't feel like listeing to the, "Well if you putted with 2 hands you probably would have made that", when I miss a 3 footer. Trust me, I miss just as easily with 2! I really think it would work for me though. I think I align myself better and get my dominate eye on the line. Most importantly though is that i'm confident and as we know confidence goes a long way towards succeeding .

the double bend as made a huge difference with the yips. not feeling the face open on the backstroke had been huge for me.

the double bend as made a huge difference with the yips. not feeling the face open on the backstroke had been huge for me.

Ever since Luke told me I need to be using a toe hang putter my putting has improved so much. Before that I was under the impression I had a straight back/through stroke and had played mostly face balanced putters for years and was struggling pretty bad. The fitting was a game changer for me this last year.

Ever since Luke told me I need to be using a toe hang putter my putting has improved so much. Before that I was under the impression I had a straight back/through stroke and had played mostly face balanced putters for years and was struggling pretty bad. The fitting was a game changer for me this last year.

don’t tell him i said this but @Luke WilliamsCG knows his stuff. and is an ok guy, too. haha

True story. I'd say I've never been more confident in my putting than I am right now.

I love this post.

Don't fight your stroke, get something that works WITH it.

I would have never guess @Luke WilliamsCG would have put me in a double bend. Love my #bladeymallet!!!! I am going to do some comparison with the Toulon Columbus. I know I changed my ball position just by about a balls width more towards center. As long as I remember that I don't pull across the ball and go left of the hole.

don’t tell him i said this but @Luke WilliamsCG knows his stuff. and is an ok guy, too. haha
True story. I'd say I've never been more confident in my putting than I am right now.
I would have never guess @Luke WilliamsCG would have put me in a double bend. Love my #bladeymallet!!!! I am going to do some comparison with the Toulon Columbus. I know I changed my ball position just by about a balls width more towards center. As long as I remember that I don't pull across the ball and go left of the hole.

I watched 12 guys get fit by @Luke WilliamsCG last week. To a man they all thought they were aiming center and only one (@zbeekner4 ) was close. Something as simple as ball position being too forward or in the middle can wreak havoc on a putting stroke. Once that was fixed the guys were draining putts or around the hole with more frequency.

For those of you coming back from Carlsbad last week, was there any mention of a center shafted Odyssey/Toulon coming out?

I watched 12 guys get fit by @Luke WilliamsCG last week. To a man they all thought they were aiming center and only one (@zbeekner4 ) was close. Something as simple as ball position being too forward or in the middle can wreak havoc on a putting stroke. Once that was fixed the guys were draining putts or around the hole with more frequency.

This is why having a putting lesson with a PGA instructor makes good sense.
But almost no one wants to schedule and, or, pay for a putting lesson. If putter fittings end up including some instruction, that's a good thing.

All this putter fitting banter has a THP putter event at the tops of event pondering o_O

I really need to get a lesson with putting. I'm way too inconsistent and it's starting to really frustrate me on the course.

I really need to get a lesson with putting. I'm way too inconsistent and it's starting to really frustrate me on the course.
You and me both. Had to go finger down the shaft to make my stroke more stable but still pushing balls right way too much.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

You and me both. Had to go finger down the shaft to make my stroke more stable but still pushing balls right way too much.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I'm really streaky which makes it worse. I've tried a couple different ways gripping the putter but can't get consistent.

Back