It's the location of the center of mass (AKA center of gravity = COG) in relation to the putter shaft axis. think of the COG as the balance point of the putter head. You can put a ton of weight on a putter head, but if it makes the COG line up with the axis (extend a line from the centerline of the shaft), then that mass will not cause the head to hang or twist. But add a little bit of weight in a different location, and the COG shifts off-axis & the putter head wants to hang.

It's one reason I've always liked the SeeMore putters with what they call "face-balanced at impact". Essentially the COG of the putter head is aligned with the axis of the shaft, so the putter head is very stable when you make a stroke on plane.

Hope this helps.

There will be a quiz Friday on this:devilish:
Thank you, that helps a lot.

I asked this in the Triple Track thread, but maybe it belongs here.

Does anyone know if there are brands that sell better in the UK? I assume Odyssey is still a huge presence over there? I wonder if there will be any difference between who games TT putters (percentage-wise) in the States vs UK.

Are there brands there that we don't see over in the US? For example, it always seemed to me that Yes! putters were much more popular in the UK & on the European Tour than in the US.

I asked this in the Triple Track thread, but maybe it belongs here.

Does anyone know if there are brands that sell better in the UK? I assume Odyssey is still a huge presence over there? I wonder if there will be any difference between who games TT putters (percentage-wise) in the States vs UK.

Are there brands there that we don't see over in the US? For example, it always seemed to me that Yes! putters were much more popular in the UK & on the European Tour than in the US.
Odyssey is still #1 there too. Since the US market has some of the biggest impact on the golfing world, I wouldn't doubt it to be very similar in terms of the biggest names. Some of the smaller boutique type brands in the US might not make it over there though.

For the putter market I know Japan and South Korea appreciates the quality and custom specs from a boutique producer, so USA based brands such as Byron Morgan and David Mills ship a significant amount of putters to those countries.

I had a bit of spare time at Club Champion over the last couple days and rolled just about every type of head possible.

Whether it makes sense to me or not, there's only one shape that gave me consistent success. Sure, it's got flaws as much as I do, but I think it's time to just accept that blades work for me and really work harder on finding more with the shape I'm locked in with. Sorry #TeamMallet

I had a bit of spare time at Club Champion over the last couple days and rolled just about every type of head possible.

Whether it makes sense to me or not, there's only one shape that gave me consistent success. Sure, it's got flaws as much as I do, but I think it's time to just accept that blades work for me and really work harder on finding more with the shape I'm locked in with. Sorry #TeamMallet
What’s weird is I am very pro team mallet and mid mallet, and that’s what the SAM lab spit out too, but man I had like 97-98% consistency with my Columbus, too and it just feels so damn stable and consistent for me. Especially with stroke lab. It shouldn’t be what fits best but it is really putting up a 15 round knock out battle with everything else to head to PGA National with me.

Anyone see the Rory putt from earlier today?! Up a hill, around a bunker, from downtown... wow!

Anyone see the Rory putt from earlier today?! Up a hill, around a bunker, from downtown... wow!

Is this that green with the bunker in the middle?

What’s weird is I am very pro team mallet and mid mallet, and that’s what the SAM lab spit out too, but man I had like 97-98% consistency with my Columbus, too and it just feels so damn stable and consistent for me. Especially with stroke lab. It shouldn’t be what fits best but it is really putting up a 15 round knock out battle with everything else to head to PGA National with me.
SAM said to me basically what everything else does; "You are incredibly consistent at being slightly incorrect at what you do... but GGs because you do it pretty well."

hahaha

That was a great putt, but couldnt he have avoided that bunker with a better approach shot ? That would have been my game plan, but chances are I'd be where he was, or worse, in the middle of that bunker.

Pretty frigin incredible.

You want to know what’s weird? I kinda liked this putter. The bulge really does disappear at address. It rolled the ball really well. But I am not sure i would drop $299 on it.

Attachments

• 2576F1FE-5E81-4F7B-B313-33FEE076DB8A.jpeg
    2576F1FE-5E81-4F7B-B313-33FEE076DB8A.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 2299E1A5-FAB9-41BE-8C30-1692B9137107.jpeg
    2299E1A5-FAB9-41BE-8C30-1692B9137107.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 4
  • EE16B10B-273B-412F-9458-B313F4A34644.jpeg
    EE16B10B-273B-412F-9458-B313F4A34644.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 4
You want to know what’s weird? I kinda liked this putter. The bulge really does disappear at address. It rolled the ball really well. But I am not sure i would drop $299 on it.
I'm all for playing what works.

I'm all for playing what works.

True, not sure I am going to play it but it was better than I expected, and worth giving a try if you are looking.

I think of all versions, this one looks to be the least offensive at address. But I agree, I’m not keen on spending $300 for “least offensive”.

SAM said to me basically what everything else does; "You are incredibly consistent at being slightly incorrect at what you do... but GGs because you do it pretty well."

hahaha
Yep, 98% consistency but just slightly off center strikes and 1* open. Every. Time. It’s nutty

Tigers putting was abysmal today.. Any chance he experiments with a different putter??

Putting on a mat to the puttout is having unexpected outcomes. As I putt and putt everyday, I have made lots of small adjustments to repeat. My setup and stroke have become much more consistent, and I know in a detailed way what has changed. I didn’t realize how much they varied. I know this is a duh kind of comment, but I did not grasp this until I experienced the change.

In my seemingly never-ending quest to achieve putting consistency, I have come up with a new putting grip that seems to be working pretty well for me. Basically, I assume a conventional reverse overlap grip then flip my right index finger to the front of the grip and place it under my right thumb. I came up with this in an attempt to completely take those 2 fingers out of my putting grip and it seems to have accomplished that. Have not experienced frequent pushed putts like I have in the past with the conventional reverse overlap due to the index finger and thumb putting too much pressure on the grip which prevented me from properly closing and squaring the putter face.

Have also experimented with left hand low a lot over the past 4 or so months and my tendency with that grip was to pull a lot of putts.

Hopefully I have found a lasting solution for my putting woes. Have rolled the ball quite well in my first 3 rounds with the custom putting grip and even some of my playing partners have remarked that I was rolling putts better than they have seen me do in a good while.

For anyone looking-- CPO is throwing down some 30% off putter's right now... Take advantage if you see fit.

Back