Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I feel like talking putting... Not really putters (there are threads for those) but more like what you're experiencing right now with your putter.

Hot flatstick? talk about it.
Worked on something and love it? Talk about it.
Can't get out of a funk? Talk about it.

I putted great my last couple rounds but found tonight to be a weird one. Every single putt was about one inch right of my line. Cost me probably 4-5 strokes. Pretty funny actually. I'm looking forward to seeing if it carries over or whether I just had a weird day out there.

I was thinking about this earlier. I don’t feel like I putted bad during the trip, but felt like it could have been better.

Overall confidence is there, but I’m just missing my lines.

We played the final 18, any observations/input?

Not having played much or time to practice, stroke feels surprisingly good but alignment is terrible right now

Last three rounds my putting has been on fire. I can't explain it but I'm seeing my lines, hitting my lines with pretty good speed. I don't know how long it's going to last but I am loving life on the greens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about this earlier. I don’t feel like I putted bad during the trip, but felt like it could have been better.

Overall confidence is there, but I’m just missing my lines.

We played the final 18, any observations/input?

I think your diagnosis is pretty on point. I didn't see anything remarkable on either side of the fence. Probably a good thing.

lines are tough on unfamiliar spots.

I think your diagnosis is pretty on point. I didn't see anything remarkable on either side of the fence. Probably a good thing.

lines are tough on unfamiliar spots.

Good to know. I sometimes think set up needs tweaking, but if it looked fine no need to tinker.

I just need to practice more!

I am in the make everything or miss everything stage, particularly in the 5 - 10 foot range. When I am missing everything, I think it is more alignment than stroke or read. Using SeeMore so it is not that the blade is open or closed, it is just that I am not lining up exactly to the line I read. Might need to go back to using the aligment marks on the side of the ball to help me get aligned properly as opposed to putting with only white showing on the ball.

I feel like i was hot today. Had 28 total putts with one 3-putt from... ugh... 6'. First putt was a side hill l-r breaker. Slid it by about 3' and it ended up in a ball mark, then jumped on its way out. Ended up with double there when I should have saved par. I tripled the next hole, then managed a birdie after those two. I don't think I've ever done that before... birdie after triple and definitely not after double-triple.

Anyway, back to putting. I had the speed down great today. Even with 28 putts, I feel like I probably should have hit 2-3 of the ones I missed. I was oh so close with some of the lines and just missing.

Major Funk. Having real troubles getting out of it. Usually go through a putting slump each year, but this has been all but one round this year in the dumps.\

I lip out/graze holes/just miss close to 3/4 of the putts I miss. That other 1/4, come up short or too long. Nothing kills a round more for me than the par putt from 3 or 4 feet that burns an edge.

I have been working on speed a lot. Trying to get the right speed so that I can maybe read less break than I have been allowing for. Get it to the hole and in, and if I miss, just past, instead of having them just die into the cup.

Toulon Memphis has been benched in favor of the Tank Cruiser #7, trying to get more stability, and more upright instead of being so hunched over.

After finishing up Dave Stockton's book recently I feel like I'm putting better than I have in years. Everything is simplified and I don't have 17 thoughts running through my head as I'm over the ball. Putting is back to being fun again.

The last 3-4 rounds my putter has been on fire. I can see the line and trust it. If I have a putt over 30 feet I haven't had any problem lagging it close (inside of 3 feet) and then making that short putt. It is a great feeling knowing I can go out and play a round and not have any worry about the putter.

Putting Banter

Have actually putted better this year than any I can remember. Having confidence from 10ft and in, eliminating 3 putts. I don’t know what contributed to it at all, but it’s been nice.

I think I’ve just stopped thinking about things and just find the line and trust the speed.

I'm the world's greatest "almost" putter you've ever seen. I have a really good stroke, and I *barely* miss a ton of my putts.

I've noticed recently I'm making more with a bit of a forward press. I thinking perhaps my current putter may not quite be matching my stroke anymore. Definitely going to get it checked out at my next fitting.

Speed has been on point lately and hitting my mark, putts are just missing in the edge. Courses I have been playing lately I can't convince myself to play less break knowing that the greens don't break as much as they appear to

Not having played much or time to practice, stroke feels surprisingly good but alignment is terrible right now

You have an eye line? Seems to help me a fair bit. I've also got one of those arc path aids that is very useful once in a while to cheat the familiarity of a square stroke.

Recently, I've been wanting to get some of those balls... putting wheels or whatever.

Just switched back to looking at the ball instead of the cup only, and seem to be hitting what I think the lines are a bit more. Frustrating part—what I think the lines are, aren’t haha.

Work in progress like everything else.

I've seen consistently good putters using just about every imaginable grip technique, stroke shape, posture style, putter head design, length and lie angle etc....
The one factor every good putter I've seen has in common is that their lower body remains stable throughout the stroke.

You have an eye line? Seems to help me a fair bit. I've also got one of those arc path aids that is very useful once in a while to cheat the familiarity of a square stroke.

Recently, I've been wanting to get some of those balls... putting wheels or whatever.
I don't. I have a bad habbit of pulling the right foot back too far setting up making me set up closed. Just need more time on the greens, time that I don't seem to have lol

Great thread dude...my putting has been streaky all year! I have had great putting rounds and extremely poor putting rounds. I putted the majority of this year with a blade putter and traditional style putting grip. My distance control was spot on but I could not hit my line and I was having issues with putts inside of 10 ft. Fast forward to right before Orlando. I switch back to a left hand low putting grip and a mallet putter. Since then, I have had the best rounds of my year. I cannot say that putting is the major factor but it has helped because I now feel so confident from 10 ft and in and have made a ton of great birdies and par saves from that distance. My lag putting has gone away though. This hasn't been a major issue because I have been draining every 3, 4, 5 ft putt coming back. I will say that since I have probably seen my biggest gains on the putting green because I STOPPED tracking my number of putters per round. I actually keep no stats and have been playing so much better because I don't have the negative thought of 3 putting or number of putts in the back of my hand. Either way I am love rolling the rock again and am hoping this trend continues.

Putting couldn't possibly be worse and anyone I played with in Orlando can vouch for that. I literally can't make anything beyond a tap in. The number of missed 4-8 foot birdies and pars is sickening.

I've been thinking all week what to do. Putter fitting, try a more forgiving mallet style, lesson or maybe all 3.

"stopped tracking my number of putters per round" is actually a really funny typo... Many THPers can relate lolol

I think tracking number of putts is maddening. Rarely a true dictation of putting quality.

I feel like talking putting... Not really putters (there are threads for those) but more like what you're experiencing right now with your putter.

Hot flatstick? talk about it.
Worked on something and love it? Talk about it.
Can't get out of a funk? Talk about it.

I putted great my last couple rounds but found tonight to be a weird one. Every single putt was about one inch right of my line. Cost me probably 4-5 strokes. Pretty funny actually. I'm looking forward to seeing if it carries over or whether I just had a weird day out there.

This is a great thread Dan!

My putting has gone downhill since the end of June - my reads have never been better, but speed is the killer which is getting me off my lines - I’m either way by or way short.

Just need to get that figured out and I should be good - need to ground back into the basics with posture and grip pressure

Putting aids might be something for me. Went from the face-balanced 1W putter to the slant neck 1Ws this season and it really hasn’t been treating me so well.

I’m thinking I need to go back to a face balance putter (or maybe I’m just referring to “zero toe hang”?). Idk, I really want to try out a few things before California next month so I can have some confidence over my putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a great thread Dan!

My putting has gone downhill since the end of June - my reads have never been better, but speed is the killer which is getting me off my lines - I’m either way by or way short.

Just need to get that figured out and I should be good - need to ground back into the basics with posture and grip pressure

You think speed has something to do with technique overall? Something in your stroke that has a variable of change?

Putting aids might be something for me. Went from the face-balanced 1W putter to the slant neck 1Ws this season and it really hasn’t been treating me so well.

I’m thinking I need to go back to a face balance putter (or maybe I’m just referring to “zero toe hang”?). Idk, I really want to try out a few things before California next month so I can have some confidence over my putter.

How much do you really toy with different necks and shapes? Think it's a head thing? (your head, not the putter head haha)

Back