I want to fall in love with a putter. I'm not looking for a marriage, a hot and heavy fling over a season would be fine. Brand a little off the beaten path, someone I can call/email to virtual fit, design/tech I can buy into, a putter I look down at and think, this is my drop dead gorgeous putter. No more than $500. Is this possible? Where do I start?

Or do I stay with a large OEM line where I can self-fit locally and roll a highly functional mainstream flat stick?

Depending on where you are at take a look at Black Lab. He does custom putters at that price point and below.

Do you know what kind of lie and loft you might want. What kind of putting stroke do you have, small arc or SBST kind of stroke? I have a Bettinardi BB1-LN up in the Marketplace for sale and it's right in your price range if your interested?

I need to get some info. Local guy will do a putter fitting on GCquad for $50. I don't know if that's a good fitting method or not. I suppose I could do this tomorrow. At a minimum I think this will give me feedback on stroke and loft. I believe I am small arc, which is why I tend to miss left with a face balanced mallet. I also don't forward press, so my loft shouldn't be excessive. But golf surprises me over and over. IDK.

BB1-LN is a sharp putter, no doubt.

Depending on where you are at take a look at Black Lab. He does custom putters at that price point and below.

Custom milled #7 head shape... Never heard of them before, but looks interesting for sure.

Custom milled #7 head shape... Never heard of them before, but looks interesting for sure.
He makes good stuff. Will finish and stamp how you want. Price is pretty good. Like a retail scotty is about the same price. He might be lower depending on what you want.

Downsides, it's not one of the in brands so there really isnt a collection/resale kind of putter. Which in a way lends itself to being a gamer putter.

Current bag battle is the incumbent Oworks mini jailbird vs a Toulon San Diego. Different feel, but not enough preference for me to pick because of it. For some reason, and it could be due to hosel or just my alignment, I’m more apt to pull the mallet and push the blade.

First round in, with the oworks, and it was a blah putting day. Will keep it in the bag for a couple more rounds, get some arccos data and then switch the sensor over.

Ended up with a new putter because of the pro at the course I played. I arrived early and told him I was looking for a putter. He asked me some questions. I held a few of their display putters in my hands. He looked at me holding them and air swinging and then walked into another room and pulled a few putters out of a box. He handed me one: this one. He let me take it, practice, and then play before buying it. 35" Odyssey SL Black Seven S with the pistol grip (not the oversize). That was easier than I expected. A subtle but significant improvement for me.

Now the pondering for a blade to join the collection begins. He told me to come back and he'd help me pick a Scotty when they received their 2020 stock. Maybe. I will check them out. This hunt will be fun, not rushed. I think I figured out a few things about what I like in a putter. That's a nice feeling.

Guess I will just keep on rolling the Toulon Chicago,31 putts tonight.

Guess I will just keep on rolling the Toulon Chicago,31 putts tonight.

I think it's about time you found something else to roll, sir!!! You're getting way to consistent with that putter. ;) :laughing:

I think it's about time you found something else to roll, sir!!! You're getting way to consistent with that putter. ;) :laughing:
Not going down that rabbit hole. :cool:

only played six holes tonight.. Dropped two BOMBS with the super rat.

I'm still all in on the tinker, but MAN did that feel good.
Stop the tinker. I’m starting a campaign

I was wondering, does anyone have or know of a someone making a putter that is a Newport/Newport 2 mix?

the softer rounded bumpers of a Newport but with slightly sharper lines from the top of a Newport 2?

I think that if someone could combine the two, it would make for a great looking putter.

The Las Vegas has solidified its place in the bag for this year. My average putts for the last 5 rounds is 31.2.

Was on the Bay last night looking at some SC putters and came across this one Newport that was up for sale. The putter had been refinished and the refinish job had a real steampunk look to it. Was tempted to buy, but in the end decided not to.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600a.jpg

Last edited:
Today’s putting activity - TT vs. Pix 2, and maiden voyage for the Suave OneTour
753D9FE8-C300-45A2-B0F2-0E6C8D075DB3.jpegB2CCE808-F173-4C4E-8C9C-9CE7D873CF10.jpeg

Played a new course Thurs with sanded greens. I was a putting mess trying to find pace and line. Ball was sliding through breaks and then randomly gripping. I couldn’t find the roll I needed. With the new toe hang putter I need to stay with a slightly taller setup and eyes inside ball. I was getting over the ball — like I do with face balanced and sbst —and that wasn’t working. Back to puttout and mirror and some practice green rolling.

Back