As per Off Course today, I’m playing a Compact Players Mallet all year.

I've been bitten by the putter bug. My collection is only at 3. An old Cleveland blade, a mid mallet from Ben Hogan, and a Wide Blade Toulon Chicago I just purchased. Part of me really wants to try a #7 shape, Toulon Seattle or maybe some other larger mallet. Something different. Maybe something Mizuno Blue. I'm open to anything really which doesn't help me with the ponder but it sure makes looking fun! I havent even gotten the Chicago outside yet, but it's fun to dream.

It looks like my black SeeMore Nashville mFGP2 mallet should be showing up tomorrow. This one is adjusted to my specs and it's going to be awesome to get to work with my gamer for the year. I just have to figure out which grip to put on it.

I've been using my putting plane board to make swings on plane, then practicing with the PuttOut. Feels really solid.

I also increased the degree of difficulty by doing these in between sets while lifting some heavy-ass weights. Makes it a lot tougher to stay balanced and repeat that stroke lol!

But - if I can do it when my arms feel like shaky jelly, I should be able to do it better on the course, right?

2nd time out with the Toulon Las Vegas on the course and can't believe how great of a roll this putter puts on the ball. I don't feel like I am putting that hard but the ball is just rolling so smoothly for a long way. I have had to make some adjustments because of the roll.
It is great on short putts the way it frames the ball.

Is putter swing weight a useful metric?

The putters I have on hand are

D4
D6
D7
D9
E9
E9

Last edited:

For me putter swing weight is definitely relevant to putting performance. My range is fairly large, that is putters from D0 to D5 swing well balanced and provide consistently acceptable results. Below D0 or above D5 putters feel "out of balance" when I swing them and performance results suffer.

Depends if it is for you - how much head heft do you need?

For me, I like something like D8-E2 but at 35 inches and 350-365g it can go up to E6. I grip down a half inch, so playing SW is still in the acceptable range.

Tiger plays D2. I did that 25 yrs ago when putters were 320-330g. But I appreciate more heft as I grow more senior.

I do have an original SeeMore FGP that is 320g at 35 inches, and is C5. I take it out occasionally.

Last edited:
Toulon Las Vegas AMAZING 25 putts today.

@Canadan last night some late night Ebaying got the best of me and apparently i purchased a blade putter.. lol.

Well I gave the BB 40 another chance to kick the Spider X out of the bag again, but it still wasn't ready! The spider has a death grip on that bag slot.

Might have to try an Evnroll after that recent write up ;)

I'm mastering the carpet. Too bad it's about 8 on the stimpmeter. SO .... when I get back out on the fast greens, I'm either going to leave everything short all day or just blow them by the hole :eek:

Loving my Mizzy Iii:mizuno: also working with a Cure putter.... Still working with wingman.

OG odyssey #9 is a homer still. Might be grip.or comfort.

Should get the ten 2-ball tour line putter before the end of March. I am trying like mad to commit to that putter and not go on an acquisition spree. I wonder how that is going to work? :p

the Ten is a great putter, I don’t think you’d regret it.

Should get the ten 2-ball tour line putter before the end of March. I am trying like mad to commit to that putter and not go on an acquisition spree. I wonder how that is going to work? :p
A man of your stature should have at least 3-5 putters. ;)

Back