Sounds like it wasn’t bad putting so much as it was just golf.
having a day to think back on it, it wasn't. But it's fun blaming equipment in the moment :LOL:

SAM lab fittings are AMAZING.
Mine was eye opening to say the least.
Always been a blade guy @34". SAM says I should be using a mallet @33" with a 30* toe hang.
Good news is that I am very consistent with my set up, impact and stroke.

SAM lab fittings are AMAZING.
I agree! The last one I had was 3 years ago and that time I was amazed with what it revealed. After going through all the measurements my fitter looked at me and said, "Don't change a thing!" I wasn't expecting that, but he was right. My putting has been off the charts and it sure is a lot of fun!

Stroke is just :poop: right now. Hit about 100-150 putts on my mat tonight and keeping it on line was way too difficult of a task. Ugh

Still loving the SL Ten. 27 putts for Saturday’s round, 29 today. Our greens are Bermuda and they were a bit shaggy today, which made them both slow and sticky - you couldn’t bring yourself to hit it hard enough because your mind was like “NONONO THAT’S WAY TOO HARD!!!”, and breaks weren’t doing what they were supposed to do.

My putting is slowly heading in the right direction. I had a putting lesson a couple of weeks ago and he changed a couple of things slightly. My putter sits quite toe up so he had me raising my arms a little so that the shaft formed a straight line with the shaft, but also "hit the ******* ball". I've always been a fairly tentative putter and die the ball into the hole, never bringing myself to hit it hard enough so leaving a lot short - sometimes 3 putt territory short. Working on the mat at home just trying to get the length right, early signs are positive.

Playing different courses regularly , does not breed familiarity or confidence in knowing where to go on some greens particularly if they are unknown 18s. But the thrill of seeing the ball disappear after a long putt never disappoints

One particular moment in putting by a older member of our playing group, “ that’s a gimme” as the ball was approximately hole width away sitting on slight uphill incline on the low side. We said no , he putted out only to catch the edge slingshot 180 degrees and stop 2 metres away. The outburst of language and grip of vocabulary including several lesser used was hysterical.

As I read posts in here, I marvel at the # of putts some of you end up with, 26-30 putts/rd. I usually avg about 36, 2/hole. I think my approach shots aren't consistent. I also feel I am a decent putter!

As I read posts in here, I marvel at the # of putts some of you end up with, 26-30 putts/rd. I usually avg about 36, 2/hole. I think my approach shots aren't consistent. I also feel I am a decent putter!

the key is to miss the green with the approach shot, then chip and voila, one putt. (y)

the key is to miss the green with the approach shot, then chip and voila, one putt. (y)
Lol, that does help. I have a friend who always seems to be right around the fringe after his approach shots, sometimes putting it on but not counting it because it was on the fringe. He would always brag about his low putting numbers, but shoot 105! I am not saying that is the case in here, because there are many good golfers here, but not really my friend though.

As @baylrballa said, miss more greens and you often have less putts if your short game is anywhere near halfway decent. According to my GHIN stats, my GIR% over the last 20 rounds is 34% - so I average about 6 GIR per round. That gives me a lot of opportunities to chip it close and not be starting with long putts. The stats also say I average 32 putts per round, which isn't stellar but not terrible either.

It also has to do with the courses you play and how difficult their greens are - and whether you play the same course(s) most of the time and are familiar with the greens. About 95% of my rounds are on my home course, I've played many hundreds of rounds there and know the greens well, so that helps.

As @baylrballa said, miss more greens and you often have less putts if your short game is anywhere near halfway decent. According to my GHIN stats, my GIR% over the last 20 rounds is 34% - so I average about 6 GIR per round. That gives me a lot of opportunities to chip it close and not be starting with long putts. The stats also say I average 32 putts per round, which isn't stellar but not terrible either.

It also has to do with the courses you play and how difficult their greens are - and whether you play the same course(s) most of the time and are familiar with the greens. About 95% of my rounds are on my home course, I've played many hundreds of rounds there and know the greens well, so that helps.
I get a lot of variety in courses I play, and I play some tougher private courses often. I will probably play 20 different courses this year of the 40-50 rounds I play total. My Greens in regulation is probably similar to yours at about 33% or 6 out of 18 holes, but am usually someone close to the green.

I don't know how anyone putts consistently with skinnier grips. Tried a few recently and I'm just so tense in my wrists. I'm like the only one of my friends with a bigger grip and I'm in awe of you guys who putt without one lol

I don't know how anyone putts consistently with skinnier grips.
They don't putt with their hands or wrists, but by rocking their shoulders.

They don't putt with their hands or wrists, but by rocking their shoulders.
And I’m able to do that with a thicker grip. Just doesn’t feel comfortable with a skinnier one is all. More power to them lol

I don't know how anyone putts consistently with skinnier grips. Tried a few recently and I'm just so tense in my wrists. I'm like the only one of my friends with a bigger grip and I'm in awe of you guys who putt without one lol

My active amateur golfer hands appreciate the calming help of a bigger putter grip. I'm using a Flat Cat Solution lately. It's about as big as they come. :D

Still loving the SL Ten. 27 putts for Saturday’s round, 29 today. Our greens are Bermuda and they were a bit shaggy today, which made them both slow and sticky - you couldn’t bring yourself to hit it hard enough because your mind was like “NONONO THAT’S WAY TOO HARD!!!”, and breaks weren’t doing what they were supposed to do.
Where are you playing?

Back