Putting eye alignment - all of us are different.

When your eyes were outside the line was your putter face aimed left or right of the hole/target line ?

It made me aim right and compensate by pulling across the ball. The big problem is all my long practice putting sessions(often 90+ minutes a few days each week) over the last 4 decades means I really had a grooved outside in stroke and nearly all my misses, especially under pressure, were always left of the hole. The other problem with my eyes in such a bad position is the compensations needed are different as you get closer to the ball. It's not like I was a bad putter all these years, just bad relative to my scratch or better peers and I have a few buddies that are 10ish handicappers that putt a lot better than me inside of 15 feet.

By standing more upright and getting my eyes inside the line it's shocking how much easier it seems. It will take some time to groove and trust the changes but so far with just a handful of rounds my putting is improved and my confidence is certainly up. Those will build on one another.

It made me aim right and compensate by pulling across the ball. The big problem is all my long practice putting sessions(often 90+ minutes a few days each week) over the last 4 decades means I really had a grooved outside in stroke and nearly all my misses, especially under pressure, were always left of the hole. The other problem with my eyes in such a bad position is the compensations needed are different as you get closer to the ball.

By standing more upright and getting my eyes inside the line it's shocking how much easier it seems. It will take some time to groove and trust the changes but so far with just a handful of rounds my putting is improved and my confidence is certainly up. Those will build on one another.

Are you going to use a longer shafted putter and, or, a putter with a flatter lie angle now ?
Or does your current putter specifications work o.k. (even though you've changed your address posture-distance from ball at address) ?

Are you going to use a longer shafted putter and, or, a putter with a flatter lie angle now ?
Or does your current putter specifications work o.k. (even though you've changed your address posture-distance from ball at address) ?

I'm now right around 37" for putter length and lie angle adjustment hasn't been needed. As you can see comparing to the middle putter in the photo, I've added 3" of length to about a dozen putters and they all seem to work well now, lol.

IMG_5372.JPG

Awesome video there, definitely have to remember that when I get to the course next

I'm now right around 37" for putter length and lie angle adjustment hasn't been needed. As you can see comparing to the middle putter in the photo, I've added 3" of length to about a dozen putters and they all seem to work well now, lol.

View attachment 8927650

To move your eyeline from outside the line to inside the line are your feet now farther away from the ball-target line or was it just your upper body/head posture that you've changed?

To move your eyeline from outside the line to inside the line are your feet now farther away from the ball-target line or was it just your upper body/head posture that you've changed?

Upper body/head posture is much different. My stance is also narrower and the ball distance to my feet/toe line is the same or maybe a bit closer to the ball. My arms also have more bend at the elbow.

Thanks, that was a really good video. I set up with my eyes inside the ball about 4 inches. I am going to try the tee drill he did the next time at the course to verify where I am looking.

Last edited:
I know SeeMore guys want my eyes inside the ball, closer to the heel of the putter. Hands are slightly ahead of pants zipper (to the left if you're right handed putter).

I can never believe my lyin' eyes... I'm looking forward to watching this when I have a moment!

This is excellent info, thanks for posting Tahoe! After getting some lessons in putting, I was also able to find that I'd pull the majority of my putts simply because I would adjust my line while over the ball. I've been able to correct a lot of this recently with training aids, and intentional practice.

-Bishop

Check out Adam Schenk this week has his eyes a crazy amount inside his ball. From past pictures of him, it doesn't look like he's always done it either, which is very interesting.

Mind blown! I need to incorporate this into my putting!

Mind is not blown but I need to watch again. After 30 years of golf, I started becoming a good putter about 2 years ago. I drop a 20ft putt almost every round and I use much of the technique he talks about. The simplest concept is the line on the ball. What I will share is that if you get the line moving so you don't see any wobble you will hit some putts. by comparison, my 4some asks me for the line but they don't seem to hear or internalize I tell them understanding that wobble is like gold. I felt it impacted distance but this video suggests it actually does.

Putting is so personal... I like a short putter, but I also line up inside the ball. I think it’s a comfort thing developed from holding a hockey stick. Being directly over top just feels like I’m crowding things.

Mind is not blown but I need to watch again. After 30 years of golf, I started becoming a good putter about 2 years ago. I drop a 20ft putt almost every round and I use much of the technique he talks about. The simplest concept is the line on the ball. What I will share is that if you get the line moving so you don't see any wobble you will hit some putts. by comparison, my 4some asks me for the line but they don't seem to hear or internalize I tell them understanding that wobble is like gold. I felt it impacted distance but this video suggests it actually does.

Absolutely true. I use a double line (Dave Pelz sells a marking tool for this). When I get it lined up and hit it square, and see no wobble, then that allows me to work on speed and reading break. It’s fantastic for practicing because I get immediate feedback as to whether I’m putting a true roll on the ball. So it basically eliminates one variable

Watched the video and tested myself. I look straight down at the ball and often miss right. I'm changing to a left hand low this year in an attempt to fix the right miss and while I'm going to stick with that I'm also going to start working on this drill in the house. Thanks Tahoebum!

Yep, this is a HUGE problem for me. I can line my ball up perfectly, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look like it's 15-degrees left when I address the ball... Can't wait to look at the vid and see what improvement I can make!

Back