Putting grip (mine may be odd, but it works!)

butchammon

Keeping it "old school"
Reaction score
Handicap
what?
In all the years that I have played golf (i.e. mid 1980's), I have discovered that everyone is unique when it comes to putting. Everyone has their own special grip, their own special stance, their own special swing tempo, etc...etc...

I have my prized, custom made, generic/component mallet putter, 35" long, and resembles an old Odyssey Rossie II mallet putter with the black polymer insert. Anyway, I use a slightly bizarre putting grip, slightly upright stance, and it just works for me. I'll try to describe it when you look at the photo below, that I just took in my living room, while practicing putting across the carpet. Anyone ever seen a putting grip like mine?

Right hand:
Right thumb centered on grip, covering up the "Crown" logo of Titleist/Scotty Cameron Baby T putter grip.
Right fingers naturally curl around the grip.

Left hand:
Left thumb centered on grip and tightly nestled into fleshy part of right hand palm.
Left index finger, as odd as it looks, the left index finger points down the shaft, resting on top of the right hand fingers.
Left fingers (middle, ring, pinky) naturally curl around the grip.

oHueduB.jpg

Don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong when it comes to putting grips. Whatever works and inspires confidence is the key for that individual.

I would say that your grip being a reverse overlap, is the most common grip that I see. Having that trigger finger pointed down is not the most common but certainly not uncommon. I putted with that same style of grip for the first 15 years that I played.

Mine currently is a left hand low double interlocking grip. My right trigger finger rests between my middle and ring fingers on my left hand. I also look at the hole(not the ball) at address on all putts under 40 feet, which I don’t see much of from other golfers.

In all the years that I have played golf (i.e. mid 1980's), I have discovered that everyone is unique when it comes to putting. Everyone has their own special grip, their own special stance, their own special swing tempo, etc...etc...

I have my prized, custom made, generic/component mallet putter, 35" long, and resembles an old Odyssey Rossie II mallet putter with the black polymer insert. Anyway, I use a slightly bizarre putting grip, slightly upright stance, and it just works for me. I'll try to describe it when you look at the photo below, that I just took in my living room, while practicing putting across the carpet. Anyone ever seen a putting grip like mine?

Right hand:
Right thumb centered on grip, covering up the "Crown" logo of Titleist/Scotty Cameron Baby T putter grip.
Right fingers naturally curl around the grip.

Left hand:
Left thumb centered on grip and tightly nestled into fleshy part of right hand palm.
Left index finger, as odd as it looks, the left index finger points down the shaft, resting on top of the right hand fingers.
Left fingers (middle, ring, pinky) naturally curl around the grip.

oHueduB.jpg

My grip is actually quite similar to yours. I am not sure if you using a right hand dominant putting style or not but for the longest time I tried to stick to a left hand dominant one as that is what I read online as the more 'common' one. It just did not work for me. My left hand sits at the top of the grip and pretty much does nothing but provide additional stability. A grip style similar to yours has worked pretty well for me.

Mine the same.

Back