Putting grip-NOT the one you buy

Brucem609

Rum Afficianado
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been having some putting woes lately and have been looking at the different styles of grips- the way you hold the club.
There are so many “styles”
What do you use?
Let’s see how you hold it (the club)

I have both my thumbs next to each other (side by side) on top of the grip. I then just overlap 2 fingers on my left hand

I'll take a picture tomorrow when I an playing if I can

I have been having some putting woes lately and have been looking at the different styles of grips- the way you hold the club.
There are so many “styles”
What do you use?
Let’s see how you hold it (the club)

I'd say I use a standard overlap grip when I putt. Nothing special.

Standard interlocking grip with my right index finger separated quite a bit. Very light grip pressure. The feeling of holding the putter delicately.

I use a baseball grip with my hands slightly separated.

Pencil grip. I find that it does a great job of preventing me from getting flippy with my wrists and it allows me to drive the putter down the line with my right hand.

Prayer grip with a Two Thumb putter grip. Here is tour pro Matt Wallace demonstrating:

PicMonkey-Collage.jpg

I use the standard overlap grip. I once looked up Tiger's grip, and that's exactly what I use. I did go through a left hand low period but went back to standard.

I grip all my clubs the same way.

I use a variation of the Vardon grip. I say variation because the "Vs" of my thumbs, and pointer fingers are pointed more at my chin instead of the more text book right shoulder location.

Using one grip for all clubs, is just one less thing to worry about.

I am a claw grip guy. It keeps my right hand quiet through the stroke.

You talked about your right hand being overactive. A baseball split grip will make that worse.
I break my right wrist and leave the face open although I think I’ve corrected that by focusing on keeping my palm on the grip. Does that mean I have an overactive right hand?

Reverse overlap, so my right hand is still low, but my left index overlaps my right pinky and ring.

I would say yes because you open it up on the way back and never get it closed.
Darn. Well I’m coming off back to back good putting rounds (thank you 100 putt challenge). We’ll see how tomorrow goes on more challenging greens. I won’t hesitate to change it up if I notice a poor trend developing.

Darn. Well I’m coming off back to back good putting rounds (thank you 100 putt challenge). We’ll see how tomorrow goes on more challenging greens. I won’t hesitate to change it up if I notice a poor trend developing.

There are lots of different ways to putt well. If you can make that grip work well great. That said there aren’t many great putters that have their hand split. I am more of a left hand control putter which lends itself better to the claw that I use. If you are a right hand control putter your grip may work well. If you are struggling I would look at other grips though because your grip is a bit different.

I use a standard grip, but with both index fingers pointing downward.

Prayer grip with a Two Thumb putter grip. Here is tour pro Matt Wallace demonstrating:

PicMonkey-Collage.jpg

Thats mine, but I dont put my index fingers down the shaft

My way of holding a putter is as boringly conventional as they come. I think it's called the reverse overlap or something like that. Basically the way 99% of golfers held the putter until about 20 years ago.

Skinny Pingman (tm) grip, extremely light grip pressure, no glove.

I tried taking a picture but my feet kept showing up in the frame:facepalm:

Back