Putting into a sleeve

JMN57

Reaction score
Handicap
In flux
So I am visiting the in-laws near Santa Fe for Thanksgiving and the first week of December. Brought my clubs along (already got in 2 rounds and hope to get a few more in this week) but this weekend has had family obligations and cold so no golf.

Been putting on the carpet at the in-laws but no good targets so I clipped the tabs off the end of a sleeve and have been putting into it. 5' to 6' putts. You really got to focus to get the ball into the sleeve. Best I've been able to do to fill the sleeve has been 6 putts so far.

Update - now down to 5 putts

Last edited:
I used to do this in my office all the time. My coworkers and employees thought I was nuts.

The rationale here is the real golf hole will seem larger by comparison. Hope it helps.

The rationale here is the real golf hole will seem larger by comparison. Hope it helps.

Stockman mentions using a tee as a target on the practice green for the same reason.

Solid idea, keep up the good work.

I used to do this with just folding the flaps back but that was a little squirrelly. Cutting off the flaps makes the edges cleaner.

I have to say that it does make the hole look huge. Played yesterday and today and had 32 and 30 putts. Anything straight and within 6' seems to go in pretty easily. With some break, speed matters. Made my share of 10-15' putts too.

Looks like a keeper drill for me.

used to do that, but after taking putting lessons I found that putting over a dime 16 inches in front of the ball was a better drill. I try to hit the middle of the dime using different length strokes. I can hit a 2,5,10, or 50 footer and not have to worry about having the space. First think to master to get better at putting is starting the ball on your intended line.

If you're into using other paper goods, Post-it notes (rotate it from a square to a diamond) are the same diameter as the golf hole.

If you're into using other paper goods, Post-it notes (rotate it from a square to a diamond) are the same diameter as the golf hole.

Yes - but part of the challenge of this is to make the make vs.miss a very small window. The idea being if one challenges oneself to a very small window (1.68" - ball size) that when one has to sink a putt in a hole (4.25") it seems both comfortable and easy.

Back