Putting is a weakness, so you...

What would be your first step in trying to change putting from a weakness, to a strength?

• Practice more

Votes: 58 40.3%
  • Get fit

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Get Lessons

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • Time for a new putter

Votes: 27 18.8%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Focus on Setup

Votes: 10 6.9%

• Total voters
I chose buy a new putter.... but was thinking... Putting is a weakness so I..... try to drive the green so I can 3 putt for par.

what are thoughts on putting mirrors for alignment checks?

I chose buy a new putter.... but was thinking... Putting is a weakness so I..... try to drive the green so I can 3 putt for par.
I mean there's lots of ways to skin a cat so to speak...

what are thoughts on putting mirrors for alignment checks?
I've never used one, but had quite a few people mention them throughout this thread. Seems like a great idea to get a consistent setup and alignment. I'm considering one, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

My go to "fix" for putting was the new putter solution. My other approach was will power: someone I was just going to will myself to putt better. Neither is super helpful. :LOL:

I am now spending a lot of time working on things like stabilizing the body through setup, improving my reads through aim point, and developing a stroke that more consistently starts the ball on the intended line. My plan is that when putting fails -- it will, of course -- I can tell myself to trust the work I have put in.

And I still like the new putter thing. :rolleyes:

My go to "fix" for putting was the new putter solution. My other approach was will power: someone I was just going to will myself to putt better. Neither is super helpful. :LOL:

I am now spending a lot of time working on things like stabilizing the body through setup, improving my reads through aim point, and developing a stroke that more consistently starts the ball on the intended line. My plan is that when putting fails -- it will, of course -- I can tell myself to trust the work I have put in.

And I still like the new putter thing. :rolleyes:
We all like the new putter thing 😬:ROFLMAO:

I like that stabilizing thought. I was way too loose before with my movements. Now, I don't want to become robotic, but I do want a repeatable stroke that I know will have a more consistent result.

1) get fitted; 2) new putter; 3) rinse and repeat.

Putting lessons from a teacher who can give you some drills to engrain what he/she is teaching. There are some great instructional/drill videos online as well. I don’t see many golfers practicing with purpose including using drills on the practice green.

I've never used one, but had quite a few people mention them throughout this thread. Seems like a great idea to get a consistent setup and alignment. I'm considering one, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I find it helpful even just to use it as a check-in every once in a while. I find myself backing away from the ball, or letting my head get too far away, or my shoulders get really open. Couple minutes with the mirror and I get a little reminder to focus on set-up and posture.

I think more practice is going to be the only real way for most people to make significant, sustainable improvements long term. However, I do think process changes might be worth experimenting with. For example, if you’re someone who putts using the line on the ball try putting without the line and instead pick a spot to focus on rolling the putt over & vice versa. I also think having a consistent routine for all putts of all lengths is important too. Also don’t be afraid to experiment with different putting grips either. Going from conventional to left hand low was the best/most impactful decision I’ve ever made in my game.

Putting lessons from a teacher who can give you some drills to engrain what he/she is teaching. There are some great instructional/drill videos online as well. I don’t see many golfers practicing with purpose including using drills on the practice green.

Thanks for posting the video. That's a great drill to use. I'm going to incorporate that into my practice once I get outdoors.

Alright, all you who voted Time for a New Putter that's what I'm trying. Been able to try out the Cobra Agera for a handful of rounds and it has been good to me thus far. Excited to see my data over the summer, to see if the trend continues.

Alright, all you who voted Time for a New Putter that's what I'm trying. Been able to try out the Cobra Agera for a handful of rounds and it has been good to me thus far. Excited to see my data over the summer, to see if the trend continues.
I am in the exact same boat you are. My new Odyssey Ten shipped yesterday and delivery is scheduled for Thurs. Its gonna magically make me a better putter. I'm sure of it. 😆

I am in the exact same boat you are. My new Odyssey Ten shipped yesterday and delivery is scheduled for Thurs. Its gonna magically make me a better putter. I'm sure of it. 😆
Worth a shot right 🤷‍♂️.

What putter are you coming from? A big change, or something you're comfortable with?

Worth a shot right 🤷‍♂️.

What putter are you coming from? A big change, or something you're comfortable with?
Yes! Envroll ER5 mallet. Was fit for it back in Nov 21 at CC. I am hoping the 2-ball Ten will help with alignment. Its another similar spec mallet with similar toe hang and lie angle. My putting has been terrible forever and spending $500 for a fitting and new putter.

Yes! Envroll ER5 mallet. Was fit for it back in Nov 21 at CC. I am hoping the 2-ball Ten will help with alignment. Its another similar spec mallet with similar toe hang and lie angle. My putting has been terrible forever and spending $500 for a fitting and new putter.
Nice, best of luck.

I went from a wide blade Chicago, which I still really enjoy, to the Agera. Opposite ends of the size and looks spectrum. Another thing I've utilized in the Triple Track Callaway golf ball. On putts where line in key, I use it and it has worked very well for me. On putts where speed is key, I put it down and just focus on speed. All that to say, alignment with it has helped me a lot, especially 10 feet and in.

Nice, best of luck.

I went from a wide blade Chicago, which I still really enjoy, to the Agera. Opposite ends of the size and looks spectrum. Another thing I've utilized in the Triple Track Callaway golf ball. On putts where line in key, I use it and it has worked very well for me. On putts where speed is key, I put it down and just focus on speed. All that to say, alignment with it has helped me a lot, especially 10 feet and in.
Same to you. I originally went from a ping anser blade to the evnroll. Was a pretty drastic change. I have the ping in my office here and roll it a bit every week and it feels so strange to me now. I even threw it in my bag a few weeks ago for a 9 hole round and couldn't use it.

Back