Putting left-handed under certain situations?

lowfi

Reaction score
Handicap
8.8 OOB
Hi everyone,

So while putting at the local course the other day, I met Tiger and Notah Begay’s old putting coach from Stanford. We got to talking and I definitely heard some cool stories about these guys but the most interesting thing that we spoke about was switch putting.

This guy mentioned that Notah adopted switch putting (putting left-handed) under certain situations. He then went on that season to shoot an NCAA Championship record of a10 under 62. Whenever Notah would have a putt that would be leaking away from his line, left to right, he would putt left-handed. He mentioned that this would always allow for an easier line to the hole, curving towards the sight line, not away (kind of like drawing the ball).

To be honest, I thought that this was the weirdest thing that I have ever heard. I know that people will put left hand down and various other methods to steady the wrist action but I’ve never heard of completely switching over to left-handed…under certain situations. I tend to think of myself as a decent putter, a bad putting day for me is usually just over 30 putts per round. I tend to average around 28.

So here’s the interesting part. I tried putting this method on a massive breaking left to right putt from the fringe. I would say that the putt was close to 20ft with ~5+ ft of break…(not too sure on that)? When putting with my normal right-handed style it felt like my body was being sort of “sucked” down the slope that I was standing on. This always intimidates me on the course when standing over a putt I can feel the break on the green. I play these putts really cautiously and tend to leave them short but due to the break they always trickle away from the hole unless I sink it. When I tried putting left-handed (I was using the exact same righty grip, I just put the ball on the other side of the putter), I felt that I was leaning into the hill and was much more stable over the ball. I think because of my stance on the slope the break didn’t seem as large or intimidating. I could just play the ball out there and let it break into the hole, not leak away from it. I left a lot of the left-handed putts close to the hole and drained a couple. I hardly left balls close to the hole putting right on this left to right putt. This whole thing kind of threw my putting stuff through a loop. On the left to right putts, putting left-handed honestly made the putt feel easier. I am right-handed, right eye dominant so I’m not sure if that had something to do with seeing the line better or what.

So has anybody here ever heard of this or tried it? I’m honestly thinking about gaming a blade style (or oldschool bullseye) putter next round that I can use from both directions or add a second putter just for a few rounds. Is this ridiculous?

Somebody try this and get back to me, I would love to hear everyones feedback.

Cheers,

Sean

Notah puts from the left and right side of the ball. He doesn't like putts that break away from him (left to right) so he had a double sided putter and putts all left to right breakers left handed.

Left hand low or cross handed putting is pretty common and I have been putting that way for 11 years now. It really allows me to remove any wrist movement and just swing the putter

Definitely not ridiculous, though is a bit strange. If you are really comfortable with your putter (and with a 28 average you obviously are), I wouldn't recommend getting a new two sided putter. However, if there is a club you rarely use (for me it's my 5 wood; maybe once every 3-4 rounds), and know somebody with a lefty putter you can use, might as well give it a shot. At the very least practice with it a few times more. I don't find the same thing for me (breaks both direction feel the same to me), but I learned the game left handed and switched when I bought my first set of clubs (ambidextrous and was advised to go right), but I still play with a left handed putter occasionally. I find I'm better with the left handed putter from in short, but much better from 15+ feet. I do occasionally consider kicking out the 5 wood and bagging a second putter, but I think if I did that I'd rather add a 64° wedge. If I ever really start nailing my approach shots so I'm putting more from inside a dozen feet, I may just switch it out for the lefty. Good luck and have fun with it!

Well if this helps, my brother putts right handed because he's starting and he's left handed, and he does fine so if certain situations call for it and you have a b;are putter that allows you to then it is a great idea t

Notah puts from the left and right side of the ball. He doesn't like putts that break away from him (left to right) so he had a double sided putter and putts all left to right breakers left handed.

Exactly what I meant in the OP, sorry if that wasn't clear!

I may try going cross handed for a bit and see if that helps at all. I'm hoping that my average will drop but I don't really anticipate anything drastic to change. IF i could chip better I wouldn't have to be worrying about putting too much lol! Considering I never hit any GIR's :(

Are any of you guys right eye dominant and right-handed putters? Trying to see the putting arc with the dominant eye that is furthest away from the ball does seem to be making it harder. Perhaps that is why I was having better luck from the left side? I know some R/R's that have to open the stance a bit on putts because of sight issues.

Oiler3535- try standing on a very big breaking left-right putt and see if it feels any different when you stand into the same putt left handed. The putt looked and felt totally different to me. Weird. See if the break looks the same to you..

Thanks everyone! Time to experiment lol..

I like the idea and I did putt lefty for a while 2 years ago, but the long putts killed me. I have a spot open in my bag right now, I might give this a try.

Icemann- at least line up a left-right putt (marginally large breaker) and let me know if it reads/feels different than a regular right handed putt would. Trying to get more peoples input. I'm telling you, the ball was seeking the hole. I felt like I could attack the cup vs. being timid with it.

I putted left handed for a season and a half a while back. Kinda different scenario, I'm naturally left handed but play right handed. I felt my putting stroke was more solid and the I could see the line more comfortably. Really just got my confidence back with it. Distance control was a problem though.

Exactly what I meant in the OP, sorry if that wasn't clear!

I may try going cross handed for a bit and see if that helps at all. I'm hoping that my average will drop but I don't really anticipate anything drastic to change. IF i could chip better I wouldn't have to be worrying about putting too much lol! Considering I never hit any GIR's :(

Are any of you guys right eye dominant and right-handed putters? Trying to see the putting arc with the dominant eye that is furthest away from the ball does seem to be making it harder. Perhaps that is why I was having better luck from the left side? I know some R/R's that have to open the stance a bit on putts because of sight issues.

Oiler3535- try standing on a very big breaking left-right putt and see if it feels any different when you stand into the same putt left handed. The putt looked and felt totally different to me. Weird. See if the break looks the same to you..

Thanks everyone! Time to experiment lol..

My course has 3 greens with huge breakers, and I've played many times hitting the same putt left and right handed (when I first got my latest left handed putter and was deciding which to bag), and never felt or looked any different to me. Lines on putts were rarely different, I just stuck with my righty b/c I had better weight control from far away.

I putted left handed for a season and a half a while back. Kinda different scenario, I'm naturally left handed but play right handed. I felt my putting stroke was more solid and the I could see the line more comfortably. Really just got my confidence back with it. Distance control was a problem though.

Funny this thread came up today. I've been having serious putting problems this year, so today I went for a full on putter fittinng. I'm a left handed everything. Hockey, bowling, writing, hunting, ect. Well, it turns out I'm a right handed putter. The stroke just feels more natural, and I'm lining my putts up far more acuratley. Ended up walking out with a custom fitted Scotty Cameron GoLo Mid and went straight to my local pratice green, where I proceded to drop every putt from 3-15'. Need to get used to the distance control as every putt beyond 15' was on line but a little short.

I have always thought I was a better left handed putter. When I was starting out I used to have an old bullseye putter, that I would use left handed when having a bad putting day. It almost got to the point where I was going to buy a lefty putter, but figured people would look at me weird so I gave up the idea years ago. Even tried the left hand low/crosshand style which seemed to produce better roll, but I just couldn't get used to it for judging distance/speed.

We should have tried switching putters last week Adam, LOL. Nice putter you picked up BTW.

I have always thought I was a better left handed putter. When I was starting out I used to have an old bullseye putter, that I would use left handed when having a bad putting day. It almost got to the point where I was going to buy a lefty putter, but figured people would look at me weird so I gave up the idea years ago. Even tried the left hand low/crosshand style which seemed to produce better roll, but I just couldn't get used to it for judging distance/speed.

We should have tried switching putters last week Adam, LOL. Nice putter you picked up BTW.

No kidding. I'm 9 holes into today's round and I've only racked up 11 putts.

Back