snafu

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
lets start that im horrable at putting defantly thd worst part of my game and Im new to golf.
So I saw on a putting video about using a spot infront of your ball as an aiming tool to help with lining up your putt. My question is do you think using a ball maker infront of your ball if there is no reference point for initial point of reference then picking it up is ok or not allowed.

The issue is when you pick it up your reference and line are gone. It could help with determining line and then use the line on your ball. But The purpose of the point of reference is to get your ball to go over that mark, knowing you lined it up well and hit it properly

lets start that im horrable at putting defantly thd worst part of my game and Im new to golf.
So I saw on a putting video about using a spot infront of your ball as an aiming tool to help with lining up your putt. My question is do you think using a ball maker infront of your ball if there is no reference point for initial point of reference then picking it up is ok or not allowed.
You are not allowed to put anything down to indicate the line of play, even if you remove it before playing. I would just use the line on the ball to help aim at your imaginary spot.

You can't use a ball marker in front of your ball during any sanctioned play, or playing for a score. I don't even think it's allowed even if you pick it up before putting the ball.

However, a marker of some sort used in front of the ball is a good way to practice rolling straight putts when used on a level surface. I use a small coin.

What you can do when playing for a score is use anything that is a natural part of the green as an intermediate target on your chosen line of the putt.

Myself, I use a blade of grass, maybe a small bare spot, a shadow (shade) spot. A good one is the shadow of the flag pole when available. A repaired divot mark, or anything else i can make use of. Usually it's about +/- 16" inches in front of the ball. Just as long as it is flat, and won't deflect the rolling ball.

If no mark on the green's surface is available to use, I will use my left shoe toe. I will place it on the line of my putt, and aim the putter face with my right hand. Then with out moving the putter face, I step into my stance, and stroke the ball. Easy peasy......

well ill try that

Back