Oleschool

Reaction score
What putting method do you use?

I like the old adage die at the hole!

and that’s the back of the hole not the front, works best for me rarely three putt even if you’re off line still a tap in

I’ve tried the new Fangled 18 inches past cos it wobbles when it stops but don’t like it

why do they always assume it gonna wobble away from the hole and not towards the hole and fall in? Who knows

I've been a die (at the front edge) putter all my life. I've definitely left a lot of putts short through the years, but changing it would be very hard. I've tried changing other ingrained habits (like eating fast) and have never had anything but short-term successes.

Generally speaking, I die it into the hole.
Sometimes though, you just gotta ram it in and take the break out of a putt

How it was explained to me, given when you play on the day, there is a lot of foot traffic around the hole, compressing the green. This creates a little volcano around the hole. Basically, the green, ever so slightly, sloped away from the hole. That's why the typical recommendation is to putt past the hole, essentially through the volcano. Take from that what you want.

Put me in the 18 inches past the hole crowd. I’ve never seen a short putt go in but I’ve seen putts that would be long hit the hole and go in. If I go 3-4 ft by then at least I saw the line and feel like I will make the cone back putt. Im also in the play plenty of break crowd as a put above the hole can dive in but one started low never has a chance.

Frankly it depends on the putt. For downhill putts or big breakers I am more of a die it at the hole. For flat and uphill putts I am more try to get the ball 18 inches past the hole.

Frankly it depends on the putt. For downhill putts or big breakers I am more of a die it at the hole. For flat and uphill putts I am more try to get the ball 18 inches past the hole.

/\/\/\ This /\/\/\

The answer, as usual: it depends.

I'm an aggressive putter. By that I mean when I miss a putt over 2-3 feet, I have a lot 2-3 foot putts coming back.

A big plus for me is my putting style takes a lot of the subtle breaks out of the shorter putts.

On up hill putts, I putt to a spot above the hole. On down hill putts, I putt to a spot before the hole.

On breaking putts, I add more break than what I think I see.

I would rather leave it a foot short on a 30 foot putt than have a 6 footer coming back. I know this goes against conventional wisdom that you can't make the putt if you don't give it a chance, but I will have a tap in vs. a knee knocker and 50% chance of missing. Once I have the speed of the greens, I rarely three putt. My goal on anything longer than 8 feet is to get it close. Do not think I don't one putt. I hate slow, uneven greens.

I just try to visualize it going in the hole with perfect true 18in past rolling speed. I then just try to put a smooth stroke on the ball and try to feel the putter speed with as little thinking as possible

I putt left hand low and just hope it gets close..

The majority of the of the time I have 1 to 3 ft putt coming back. I just dislike leaving it short.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Hard to describe. I picture the ball rolling into the hole at a certain spot. Sometimes the picture I get in my mind is of the ball just toppling in as it is almost stopped. Other times I picture it rolling in with some pace. I just try to roll it at the pace that matches that picture in my mind.

That said, I'd rather be three or four feet past the hole than two feet short. Comeback putts are easier to make. But still, some putts just look like they need to die in the hole so that's what I try to hit.

I would rather leave it a foot short on a 30 foot putt than have a 6 footer coming back. I know this goes against conventional wisdom that you can't make the putt if you don't give it a chance, but I will have a tap in vs. a knee knocker and 50% chance of missing. Once I have the speed of the greens, I rarely three putt. My goal on anything longer than 8 feet is to get it close. Do not think I don't one putt. I hate slow, uneven greens.
Whether it's logical or not, I am the same way. While I'm not crazy about coming up really short, I absolutely hate running one so far past the hole that I will likely 3 putt. Other than on really short putts, I don't think I've ever been pissed about one stopping inches short.

Ancer has a perfect die at the hole putt on 15 for bird!

I was a die at the hole putter all my life just out of fear for the second putt. However, since getting my Mizuno M Craft putter my putting confidence is through the roof and now I try and hole everything and don't mind if it stops 4 feet past.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I prefer the foot past. I’ve left way to many short and they will never fall if they are short.

Im the putter, not a club, I always try to hole out, still want it to die at the back of the hole

I'm more of a past the hole guy generally, but it depends on the putt. Short putt or unsure of how much break it'll take at normal speed, bang it on in. Big swinging tier drop that's pure lightning past the hole, I'll aim for more front edge. If I die it right at the hole though, chances are I got lucky.

Back