Putting Practice Routine?

MSEASU

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you have one? If so what do you focus on? Speed control? Face control? Tendencies with different breaking putts?

1697562877343.gif

C4593473-DA31-4C48-A5CF-BD728D27C906.jpegHere is one I do from time to time based on a putting lesson where he had me do jumping jacks to get up my heart rate and then make putts. Very site specific, but I have it setup at work.

I ride my exercise bike and track my putts. Today was not good. How I grade myself is hit 50 putts from same distance (7’ today) and made 48/50. Then ride 30 minutes and putt 10. Then 10 minutes putt 10 and repeat until I get 100 putts. Ideally, I make 48/50 of the second fifty while biking. Today was abysmal and I made 38/50.

The goal is two fold: I get in better shape so my heart rate isn’t as high on the course and I make more putts when my heart rate is elevated. Mainly just try to make putts when I am not comfortable.

I have plenty of other drills at the practice green. But most involve finding ways to put pressure on myself. Like the one where you surround the hole at 3 feet and make 10 in a row, if you miss one, start over. Then you go to 4’ and I repeat until I can make 10 from 5’ before I can leave. Sometimes that gets to be a long practice and there are times I have to leave without finishing.

Most all of my putting practice involves short putts. If I am confident from inside 5’, all of the long putts seem easier.

I work on mainly speed control. The green i go to is slow so i tend to struggle more on faster greens. I probably should come up with a routine to follow.

Back