chenrio

Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
My left arm is approximately 1" shorter than my right arm. Does anyone have any insight on what effect this will have on my putting stroke, and any suggested adjustments such as setting up with left hand higher on putter grip?

Maybe a little off the original post but have you considered an armlock putter? I think to the original question maybe an unorthodox grip like the claw would take away any worries of a possible problem.

one inch of arm difference really shouldn’t affect your putting stroke/setup/grip. Find a set up and grip that is comfortable and allows you to be consistent.

Search for Pat O'Brien and his grip on the putter - your shoulders might be too sloped in favor of the trail shoulder if you are not careful. You want them fairly even at setup.

Putting is a bit different than everything else. I think you can certainly find a way to make it work. Frankly having your trail arm be a bit longer could help you have more level shoulders in the putting stroke similar to why people go lead hand low at times.

An interesting question. I wonder how many people have different arm lengths or naturally (or through life's demands) have one shoulder higher than the other.

How is your putting?

Does it effect your full swing?

At mens night two years ago, one guy had broken his ankle and was in a cast from the knee down. He shot a 1 under.

My left arm is approximately 1" shorter than my right arm. Does anyone have any insight on what effect this will have on my putting stroke, and any suggested adjustments such as setting up with left hand higher on putter grip?
Due to some injuries and a partially torn up right shoulder my right hand hangs about 1 1/2" lower than my left. I never gave it any thought but that may be why I absolutely cannot putt left hand low. 🤔

I’m not sure i see it making a huge difference.... i would think it would be more impactful if the right arm was shorter.... don’t know why, but it just feels that way... i would just get your left hand comfortable on the grip and then move the right into position... you might need a bit longer putter shaft, but again.... I’m just going by feel. Let us know how it works out for you!

Due to some injuries and a partially torn up right shoulder my right hand hangs about 1 1/2" lower than my left. I never gave it any thought but that may be why I absolutely cannot putt left hand low. 🤔

I have the opposite problem, my left hand hangs lower due to injury. I’ve never really given it any thought in regards to golf, but I am going to use it as an excuse from now on! 😂

Chunk? Left arm. Thin? Left arm.

I like it.

An interesting question. I wonder how many people have different arm lengths or naturally (or through life's demands) have one shoulder higher than the other.

How is your putting?

Does it effect your full swing?

At mens night two years ago, one guy had broken his ankle and was in a cast from the knee down. He shot a 1 under.
Doesn't seem to effect my full swing. I've noticed when I miss a putt it tends o miss right of the holf.

If you’re right handed, having a short left arm is actually a benefit! It lets you set up more easily and more relaxed while being able to remain a bit more square. No need to tilt or flex the left arm to set up. You can just set up square, let your arms hang, and since the left hand grips it higher anyway, you’re gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might sound over simplified, but would using a split grip with the hands hanging at their natural lengths work? Something similar to a baseball grip, but with a gap between the hands?

A conventional putting grip would have the left hand higher on the grip than the right, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I discovered that my down shaft view of my club face, any club, had them to far open to the line. I really had to learn where I was aiming, especially putter.

Doesn't seem to effect my full swing. I've noticed when I miss a putt it tends o miss right of the holf.

right if the hole misses can come from a lot of things.

alignment being a major one obviously. Standing too far away from the ball/eyes too far inside.
path not matching face angle.
Deceleration/recoil through the stroke.

lots of things. I would put the arm difference at the bottom of the list.

Appreciate all the replies/suggestions. I'll try them all.

Back